Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I bet if he was stroking the check they would all be the same size!

Wonder what Dean Martin would recommend:p
If he did that then he would also recomend same size wheels. Lol
His recomemdation was real specific.
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Makes sense to me. Unless you want to spend the time and money to dismount and rotate the square tires on staggered wheels :headbonk:

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense to me. Unless you want to spend the time and money to dismount and rotate the square tires on staggered wheels :headbonk:
To be fair, some people run spacers in the front with identical wheels on all four corners.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
To be fair, some people run spacers in the front with identical wheels on all four corners.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Ill stick with my 305/30 19 square setup. Reduces understeer and much wider the the 35 aspect.

Peter

Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Well of course you want the same size wheels. I get it. I'm just saying the staggered sizing for 10 or 20mm of tread width is one of the dumber things these cars have to offer. The right call is to fix that if you are going to track it. It's more economical if you are going to buy track wheels to understand this up front.

TheKosherStogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M2
It's about having the right size tire to rim. Tread width to rim width. Front wheel is 11. The 295 PS4S is 11.1 and cup2 305 is 11.0. The PS4S in 305 is 11.5 which he is saying since the 295 matches better.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for the information. I'm not surprised he didn't recommend a square setup. Ford set up both the GT350 and GT350R with staggered tire widths in order to optimize performance on the track.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Thanks for the information. I'm not surprised he didn't recommend a square setup. Ford set up both the GT350 and GT350R with staggered tire widths in order to optimize performance on the track.
No way. They set up up so it would look pretty and understeer. Totally understandable. But the car is way front heavy. More tire is always part of the answer. But those staggered wheels look great and everyone likes big rear tires. Given the wheel widths, I can understand his recommendation for sure. My only point is that if you are going to the track and buying tires and wheels, one is better off with a square setup. Way less hassle and more tire life since any tire can go into any position, even if directional.

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
:lol:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
No way. They set up up so it would look pretty and understeer. Totally understandable. But the car is way front heavy. More tire is always part of the answer. But those staggered wheels look great and everyone likes big rear tires. Given the wheel widths, I can understand his recommendation for sure. My only point is that if you are going to the track and buying tires and wheels, one is better off with a square setup. Way less hassle and more tire life since any tire can go into any position, even if directional.
More driver is always the answer! Any car can be made to under-steer. The car is very well balanced. Overcook any corner and your front end will always push.

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
"the level of control, the balance, the stability without understeer." R. Pobst 2016 Best Drivers Car, Motortrend

So much understeer!

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I've never heard anyone complain of understeer in GT350/R'S... :confused:.

Same goes for Camaros with their even greater tire stagger. But then again there's no way to make a car turn with springs and bars when you have a tire stagger. :lol:

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
More driver is always the answer! Any car can be made to under-steer. The car is very well balanced. Overcook any corner and your front end will always push.
Appreciate your enthusiasm but I think you are missing my point. You don't put smaller tires on the front of a pony car if you want to go fast on a road course. About the only place you will find smaller front tires is on the showroom floor. I'm not knocking your baby. I too have an R and it will see Sebring this weekend. And I will wish I had a rotatable set of track tires. And hope it doesn't rain. :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think that Ford set up the GT350R to be as quick around a road course as possible. If a square setup would have made an improvement or been equal, Ford would have put a square setup on the car. Maybe if the R had a square setup and the GT350 didn't I could be convinced that the square setup was faster.

I don't disagree that you can maybe save money with a square setup if you get free tire mounting/dismounting and your usage burns one end of the car faster. My tire guy says what he has seen is most GT350s get about half the life from the rear tires compared to the fronts. However, for me the mounting and dismounting will cost more than the possible gains. I haven't seen outer/inner edges wearing faster based on my usage.

I have a hard time imagining R owners wanting to do additional mounting/dismounting on those CF rims.

You don't put smaller tires on the front of a pony car if you want to go fast on a road course.
I don't believe you. To me you're just some guy on the internet making unsubstantiated claims.
Sponsored