BG Syncro Shift II from Optimum Performance

binhdong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know I'm resurrecting a dead tread but it was this tread that got me to buy Optimum Performance's kit to change the trans and diff oil. Was a very easy change and it has seemed to get rid of my random notchy 2nd and 3rd gear shifts with my stock shifter.

Thanks for everyone's input! And if you are interested I documented my change in the link below. I can't wait to feel how it shifts when I get and install my MGW shifter.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Was a very easy change and it has seemed to get rid of my random notchy 2nd and 3rd gear shifts with my stock shifter.
You have the D4 version of the MT-82, correct? So it feels less notchy when cold, or when hot? And how about the 2-3 shift 'nibble'? The BG fluid is more viscous than the thinner DCT factory one, and you're the first person with a D4 to say it felt better, so if you could give more details, it'd be greatly appreciated :). I was going to change the fluid with the first oil change at 1K miles, but decided to wait until the next one at 6K. And want to do the Torsen as well (still looking at fluid options for that one as well). Thank you.

binhdong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You have the D4 version of the MT-82, correct? So it feels less notchy when cold, or when hot? And how about the 2-3 shift 'nibble'? The BG fluid is more viscous than the thinner DCT factory one, and you're the first person with a D4 to say it felt better, so if you could give more details, it'd be greatly appreciated :). I was going to change the fluid with the first oil change at 1K miles, but decided to wait until the next one at 6K. And want to do the Torsen as well (still looking at fluid options for that one as well). Thank you.
Yeah, it's a 2018 that I have. It feels less notchy when cold and low speeds like around a parking lot. I can't say I've experienced any nibble. I'm about a few hundred miles in and the smoothness is great. I still am experiencing notchyness when cold and at low speeds but it's no where as often as before. It's oddly pretty random. Initially I was thinking maybe my timing with clutch is off but when consciously shifting, it didn't seem to improve anything. I've even tried different shifting speeds or "letting the gearshifter get sucked into the gear" (like not forcing it). What's interesting is even double clutching doesn't improve 2nd or 3rd gear smoothness into the gear. It's as if it'll be smooth when it wants to be...I guess I'll find out how much better (or worse) it gets after installing the MGW but it maybe a bit down the road as I'm about to throw in some OPG/CS and a Edelbrock, unless I get lucky and MGW comes in between the OPG and Edelbrock install :)...In all, the transmission shifts real good. Its much better and smoother overall than many other performance car manual transmissions and I believe the fluid helped a lot to improve the overall smoothness of the shifts.

Oh and I might add, even though the notchy 2nd and 3rd is random. When it is notchy it isn't as noticeable or it feels like it's not as rough or it still glides in much better with the BG fluid. Kinda hard to explain in words. It's definitely a better feeling.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Tossed some bg synchrosift Ii in my car yesterday. I have steeda clutch spring and hybrid Barton 3 body mounted trans. I don’t really have much nibble, it’s pretty darn smooth when warmed up.

But I was at team beefcake’s performance shop yesterday for alignment and realized They sold it so I was curious. Been debating on it itself already. Then went ahead and tossed it in.

initially I felt I wasted $, didn’t really feel any difference. But after a coupledrives andcool downs,the last drive last night it was 100% bitter smooth. Not a single nibble and felt more firm.

like another increase in perfection from the oem set up to Barton, but yet another step up.
Coupe be placebo. But whatever. It’s done and now I can say I did it. Lol

9D12174E-51FC-48C8-82D0-4BD259C79DC0.jpeg

0A6E1114-8DDD-4418-B610-5724C85B77BA.jpeg

8A9BDF01-05DD-4E8A-A0A7-4CC0C2B5A358.jpeg

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your reports look encouraging, but I decided to wait to change my fluids until the second oil change, so you guys can report on cold weather performance of the BG fluid, compared to stock. My other option is Redline DCT-F fluid, which is a DCT fluid, like stock.

I was also surprised to hear that the drain plug on the MT-82 is not magnetic. I'd like to install a magnetic one. Does anybody know what are the threads on those plugs? To check with GoldPlug, and others, if needed. And also strange that they don't use a crush washer. Not sure teflon tape is right for that application.

binhdong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I also wondered about teflon tape on those threads. It did come in the kit and when I did research it seems real split what to use as a thread sealant. I am going to constantly check for leaks. I see some recommended Loctite 561. On the diff, I'm assuming OEM used some red type of sealant, I was wondering what this is.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I was also surprised to hear that the drain plug on the MT-82 is not magnetic. I'd like to install a magnetic one. Does anybody know what are the threads on those plugs? To check with GoldPlug, and others, if needed. And also strange that they don't use a crush washer. Not sure teflon tape is right for that application.
Not sure about the M-82 drain and fill plugs, they don't look like tapered threads like the drain and fill plugs on the differential which you can use Teflon tape (preferred IMO) or other type of thread sealant on.

binhdong - are the transmission drain and fill plugs metal or some kind of plastic? If they are plastic, then maybe that's why there is no seal (o-ring or sealing washer) - ??

Last edited:

binhdong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I’m pretty sure the plugs were metal. They didn’t feel or look like plastic. It didn’t really occur to me. If they aren’t steel they may be a aluminum or something real light.

binhdong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was going through my content and theres no washer nor o ring to seal it. It looks like the two outer rings bite into where the screw seats and maybe hope oil don't pass through the threads? I was curious when I did the fluid change what was stopping a leak.
Mustang Transmission and Differenial Oil Change.00_03_22_02.Still005.png
Mustang Transmission and Differenial Oil Change.00_03_36_17.Still006.png

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Those tranny drain/fill plugs look just like Porsche and Audi oil pan drain plugs, which makes sense, since Getrag is German too. If I remember correctly, the plugs of my Porsche and Audi were M14 x 1.5, but I'm not sure. I'll try to find out somehow, to buy a magnetic drain plug before doing the fluid change next year. I'm probably going to use a crush washer on those (I still have some left from the Porsche, I think). But since the diff plugs are tapered, we need to use some kind of sealant there. I don't like using ANY sealant, but the factory kind might be better than teflon tape, no? My concern is if the tape that makes it inside might contaminate the fluid a little over time, but it shouldn't be a big deal at all. But using a sealant lowers the amount of torque you need to put on those suckers. I wouldn't use more than 20 ft/lbs, but will probably just tightened them by feel, since the diff cover is aluminum, I believe (the diff body is steel on the Torsens for sure).

I'm really looking forward to comments on how the BG fluid works in the D4 tranny in winter time. I'm not going to use the car in near freezing conditions with its current summer tires this winter. But about 45F would be a great temperature to test shift behavior. And how long it takes to heat up and shift normally.
Sponsored