Sponsored

Best speaker upgrade

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT PP
Hey guys. I got some money this Christmas to upgrade my 9 speaker setup. I'm familiar with brands like Kicker, Alpine, JL Audio, etc.

What brand/speaker setup is the best bang for the buck? I assume having a shop install it all is best as well. Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
What is your budget and do you want to stick with 6 speakers up front or drop down to 4?

OP
OP
TYGT350

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT PP
What is your budget and do you want to stick with 6 speakers up front or drop down to 4?
Is there any disadvantage to going to 4?

Probably ~$1000

Last edited:

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I would stay with 6, but I'm really into my music, so ymmv. The factory amp is a 4 channel, and as mentioned in several threads, does not drive aftermarket speakers very well, so your options are basically;

Simple: Stick with the factory amp and run either a 4 or 6 speaker setup using the passive crossover that comes with the speakers.

Complicated: Go with a 4 or 6 speaker setup powered by a separate amp.

To answer your question, having 6 speakers keeps the midrange notes closer to your ears which can improve the overall sound rather than having them come from near your feet if you went with 4 speakers...

Sponsored

whokilledkaji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
A few months ago I wouldn't have believed it, but just adding a quality sub with amp is hands down the most bang for the buck!

The overall sound in the car is so much better! If I didn't know better, I would swear all of the OEM speakers had been replaced... Adding a sub is night and day!

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A few months ago I wouldn't have believed it, but just adding a quality sub with amp is hands down the most bang for the buck!

The overall sound in the car is so much better! If I didn't know better, I would swear all of the OEM speakers had been replaced... Adding a sub is night and day!
I plan to do the same thing. I'm curious to know where you grabbed the signal. Some people get it from the rear speakers, but others say that signal is high passed.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Don't get Kicker. Yuck.

Of the brands you listed, Alpine or JL is fine.

I personally prefer Audison, Hertz, Hybrid Audio, and newer Focal products.

You can also try "raw drivers" from Parts Express, which are often the same driver that the car audio brands use, just put their name on them. SB Acoustics is a good place to start.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
i have the base, i would like better speakers just dont know much about this area, im not looking for the best ($$$) more like ($-$$) also not something that wil cause too much trouble installing

thanks!!!!!!!

budget probably, max $500

Sponsored

datamon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Ecoboost
I have the base system and added 2 subs and it made a huge improvement. Also replaced the tweeters and woofers in the doors. Tweeters made a big improvement. Didn't have spacers to use with the door 6.5" and window rubs on the bottom inch or so. Also 6.5s rattle a bit at high volume so will be tweaking the install and expect better sound when redone.

Tweeters: Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC08-04 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeter with Waveguide 4 Ohm

Mid/woofers: Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Woofer Wool Cone - 4 ohm

Subs: NVX XQW122

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium

+1. Added a self powered Rockford Fosgate P300-10. Made all the difference in the world. The stock speakers dont sound so bad anymore. Best bang for the buck. Only cost $165 and I did the install myself.

Add a sub a see what you think before spending a whole bunch.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I have the base system and added 2 subs and it made a huge improvement. Also replaced the tweeters and woofers in the doors. Tweeters made a big improvement. Didn't have spacers to use with the door 6.5" and window rubs on the bottom inch or so. Also 6.5s rattle a bit at high volume so will be tweaking the install and expect better sound when redone.

Tweeters: Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC08-04 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeter with Waveguide 4 Ohm

Mid/woofers: Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Woofer Wool Cone - 4 ohm

Subs: NVX XQW122
Nice use of raw drivers... did you use a cap to crossover the tweeter?

datamon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Ecoboost
Nice use of raw drivers... did you use a cap to crossover the tweeter?
For now, I am using the cap from the factory install. I will be going active soon and can get rid of it then. Just need to decide which direction to go to get a clean signal out of the HU: oem's harness, Scosche unit, etc.

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
For now, I am using the cap from the factory install. I will be going active soon and can get rid of it then. Just need to decide which direction to go to get a clean signal out of the HU: oem's harness, Scosche unit, etc.

How long before you will be swaping something for the signal? I will be doing a full IASCA competition build and I will be reviewing OEMs harness during the build.I will be using Tru Technology Billet amps, Hybrid Legatia speakers, and a SI HT18 sub.

Some good speakers that are often overlooked are CDT! If your going to have a shop do the install start with a 4ch amp and front components. later you can add a sub to the other outputs on the amp, then add a dedicated sub amp, then rear speakers.

Like [MENTION=6983]whokilledkaji[/MENTION] mentioned, just adding a sub to get you the lower notes will make a huge improvement.
Sponsored