Sponsored

Beginner’s Buying Guide

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Beginner’s Buying Guide

Back when I started washing cars in the very early 2000’s, there was simply no avenue for learning how to detail other than buying and trying things for yourself. No internet, no YouTube, no forums. You either taught yourself or took a job in the detailing industry. These days, learning how to detail is relatively easy, likewise choosing what products to buy.

Having said that, it’s all too easy to get led down the garden path and end up with a garage full of detailing products. Now of course, to me that is a good thing. But what if you just want to get started, to learn the basics and perhaps expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

The following list is what I consider the essentials to do just that. Rather than list 120 different chemicals, tools and accessories for each and every task, I’m going to list products that can cover as many bases as possible, allowing the user to gain experience without jumping headfirst into the proverbial rabbit’s hole.

I won’t cover paint correction and pressure washing here because that is next level stuff, this article is about where to begin. I’m also going to assume that shopping online is not a barrier to entry or cater to cheap and nasty products. The goal is to compile a list of high-quality items that will last a long time, deliver high quality results, and hopefully make the washing experience easier and more enjoyable. And in the process saving time and money by skipping the "Armor All and Turtle Wax phase". :wink:

IMG-0350.jpg

TOOLS & ACCESSORIES

Buckets –
For detailing, you want three basic white plastic buckets in 15-litre or preferably 20-litre capacity. One dedicated for wheels, two for washing/rinsing. I would also use a grit guard in each bucket.

5 or 6 Gallon Buckets (due to my location, I'm unable to link to Home Depo/Lowes ect) - $7.98 each / $23.94 total (approx.)
Grit Guard - $10 each / $30 total

Wheels –
These brushes will take care of most wheel designs.

EZ Detail Brush (For wheel barrel & wheel arch) - $31.95
Detail Factory Tire Brush - $14.95
Detail Factory Boars Hair Brush - $14.95
TRC Ultra Wheel Mitt - $13 (2-pack)
Foam Applicator - $8.99

IMG_0259.jpg

Exterior/Interior Brushes -
One of each will get you pretty far, you can then build upon this as needed.

Detail Factory Ultra Soft Brush - $14.95
ColourLock Leather/Fabric Brush - $12.99

IMG-1127.jpg

TOWELS
The below collection of towels is all about value for money without compromising on the quality of towel. All towels are from The Rag Company to keep it simple.

TRC Gauntlet Medium x2 (Drying Towels) - $22
TRC Dry Me A River Jr. x3 (Glass) - $19
TRC Cyclone Wash Pad x2 - $12 each / $24 total
TRC All Purpose 12 Pack - $17.80 (Separate the colors into specific uses, ie interior cleaning, wax removal, dirty jobs ect)

IMG-5305.jpg

CHEMICALS
In this section, I’ll elaborate why I have chosen these products. I’ll also include spray bottles to allow products to be diluted for different purposes.

Adam's Car Shampoo - $39.99 Gallon Bottle
A high quality, high value wash soap for both bucket and foam cannons.

Koch Chemie Green Star APC - $13.99 for 1L
Shine Supply Spray Bottle x2 - $5 each / $10 total
Green Star is versatile, able to be used as a wheel and tyre cleaner at 8:1, or heavily diluted for interior cleaning (20:1), engine bay cleaning and bug removal (10:1). Have it mixed in two bottles for easy use. Add this to NV Snow for a stronger strip wash.

Optimum No Rinse - $17.99 for 1 Quart Bottle
Another versatile product that can cover several bases. Quick detailer/drying Aid, rinse-less wash, clay lubricant, glass cleaner, interior cleaner/detailer. Again, have this mixed at in a couple of dilutions ready to go.

Carpro Perl - $23.95 for 500ml Bottle
This product does great work as a tire dressing at 1:1 dilution, or as an engine bay/interior/leather/exterior dressing at 5:1.

Stoner’s Invisible Glass - $6.99 20oz Bottle
No explanations required, the best glass cleaner and freely available.

Gtechniq W7 Tar Remover - $19.80 for 500ml Bottle
Every car guy needs a tar remover. You can also use this to remove adhesive residue. No need to dilute.

Carpro Hydr02 Lite - $16.99 for 500ml Bottle
A ready to use spray and rinse touchless sealant, ideal for protecting wheels and paint.

Adam's Slick n Slide - $12.99 for 473ml Bottle
A fantastic gloss enhancer that provides decent protection in a simple spray and wipe application. Great drying aid too.

IMG_1542.jpg

CONCLUSIONS
The above tallies up to just over $400, or $419.24 to be precise. Could I have chosen cheaper alternatives or less of something? Sure, but some of the key products are highly dilutable, while the tools are going to last for many, many years. Again, the concept was to deliver value in terms of product quality and user experience. Could I have included items like foam cannons and pump sprayer, yes to that too. But again, the idea was to provide a launching pad for greater things if the desire takes you there.

Happy Shopping!

IMG_0761.jpg
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The forum needs more "reaction emoji's, D, because your post above is absolutely, positively award-winning and demands more than just a
love-emoji.png
!

WELL DONE, Bwana! I am quite certain that this excellent submission will be extremely beneficial to someone who is just starting out on the long detailing journey or, someone who isn't as obessive as some of us. <BSEG>

I say again,

You are the MAN!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Pan The Organizer recently did two videos on this subject as well, listing his favorite tools and chemicals for beginner and pro-sumer folks.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Pan The Organizer recently did two videos on this subject as well, listing his favorite tools and chemicals for beginner and pro-sumer folks.
It's been a good while since I pulled up Pan's channel, Brian, but thanks for the link. Watched the Beginner portion for a minute but soon moved to the Pro clip. Right off the bat I got a grin when he began to list his recommendations for gear and I saw that he must have been reading D's (@DFB5.0's) posts here and watching his channel! <chuckling>

Carpro, Gtechniq, Bilt Hammer..et al so he knows his business and I use about 2/3's of the products he highlighted. <smile>

I also hadn't seen the Griot's cannon but after seeing the quality of the foam and the spread from the gun, it impressed me. And, while I don't know if Griot's started with a small opening at the top or, if they have always had the wide mouth, but I thought it was interesting and a bit humorous. Competition is a powerful thing. :=)

Thanks for the links amigo.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
It's been a good while since I pulled up Pan's channel, Brian, but thanks for the link. Watched the Beginner portion for a minute but soon moved to the Pro clip. Right off the bat I got a grin when he began to list his recommendations for gear and I saw that he must have been reading D's (@DFB5.0's) posts here and watching his channel! <chuckling>

Carpro, Gtechniq, Bilt Hammer..et al so he knows his business and I use about 2/3's of the products he highlighted. <smile>

I also hadn't seen the Griot's cannon but after seeing the quality of the foam and the spread from the gun, it impressed me. And, while I don't know if Griot's started with a small opening at the top or, if they have always had the wide mouth, but I thought it was interesting and a bit humorous. Competition is a powerful thing. :=)

Thanks for the links amigo.
The Griots boss came out before MTM updated their bottles for the PF22. I have one of each now and both are pretty equal in terms of foam production.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

I'll be honest in saying I don't watch a lot of Pan's content. I don't mean this to be arrogant, I just don't feel like I am his target audience. For me, I almost already know what he is going to say, so I don't really learn much from him unless it's a new just released product that he has had early access to.

I also don't feel as though he adds much opinion to his content, rather a show and tell session. As such, it can be hard to know what a is great product worth buying, or what is simply crap. I do however like what Pan has done for the industry though, getting information out to the masses that would have once been simply not available.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The Griots boss came out before MTM updated their bottles for the PF22. I have one of each now and both are pretty equal in terms of foam production.
The wide mouth Griot's certainly arrived before the updated MTM.

When the updated MTM launched, it copped a lot of critique from certain circles that claimed it was a half assed attempt at keeping up with the competition. As in, the black plastic adaptor that screwed into the existing foam cannon. Well, the Griot's is the same in that it uses an adaptor that the foam cannon body screws into, and it's also removable like the MTM.

Initially, I was a bit worried about the bayonet connection between the adaptor and cannister, but it's actually super convenient to use in a twist and lift action rather than having to screw it down to the bottle. How it will age I can't comment on at the moment.

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that, Brian, you were reading my mind.

For me, I almost already know what he is going to say, so I don't really learn much from him unless it's a new just released product that he has had early access to.
I also don't feel as though he adds much opinion to his content
I had the same reaction re. Pan, D. A lot of "facts" but not much in the way of "opinion." And also as you said, by the time I found his channel, my game had already been upped (thanks to you and others here, of course,) and most of the content wasn't for me.

..but it's actually super convenient to use in a twist and lift action rather than having to screw it down to the bottle
Based on my own observations using the updated MTM rig, I think the new adaptor is more than stout enough to last for years and years. Once I learned that it wasn't a bitch to close the jar as at least a couple vids indicated, the concern evaporated and I like the new wide mouth very much.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks for that, Brian, you were reading my mind.

I had the same reaction re. Pan, D. A lot of "facts" but not much in the way of "opinion." And also as you said, by the time I found his channel, my game had already been upped (thanks to you and others here, of course,) and most of the content wasn't for me.

Based on my own observations using the updated MTM rig, I think the new adaptor is more than stout enough to last for years and years. Once I learned that it wasn't a bitch to close the jar as at least a couple vids indicated, the concern evaporated and I like the new wide mouth very much.
Hmm I find he makes opinions on most products he reviews. Hence his videos on beginner and pro kits I posted above.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Hmm I find he makes opinions on most products he reviews. Hence his videos on beginner and pro kits I posted above.
I hear you, Brian, and what I think we were referring to was that he doesn't seem to offer as much in the way of critical opinions that would definitely deter a customer from purchasing a product as our resident expert, does. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid channel with good info, I just prefer others is all.
Sponsored