Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
Headers arent going to void your warranty

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Disclaimer: First things first this is a Virtual Dyno so numbers are not going to be correct (they will read very low). In fact on Virtual Dyno they do not even have our cars so I had to use a 2011-2013 V6 Manual so there are going to be discrepancies in numbers. There are also other variables not taken into consideration (baro etc.) However what you will see is an idea of the type of gains you get from running these. The type of gains you notice are the major gains on down low and fat mids.

Now with that out of the way, I have just ran my first datalog so I decided to compare each of my logs stock reference tune/log manifold datalog/ shorty header datalog to see where and how I gained. While horsepower gains were not much the gains in torque and midrange are significant (and yes you can feel it in real world driving). For a daily driver these work really good and proved me wrong about catted shorties. I am not even on my shorty header tune yet and they are already showing gains. Torrie will be sending me a new tune soon then we can really see some more improvements.

Green = Stock Reference Tune
Red = Tune with stock log manifolds
Blue = Same tune but with shorty headers added

viber image.jpg

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
YES, I have four shorty header installs on Mustangs to date. Twice on the S197 4.0L and twice on the 3.7L, which breakdowns to old body style (2013) and our current one. NO, this is not the easiest header install. The driver side is not so bad. The passenger side is a whole another story. I had to cut my hand wrench handle in half to make a stubby one in order to get the bolts tight. The easy part is getting the stock manifolds off. Some of the bolts are damn near unreachable to get to with your aftermarket headers. It is not impossible by any stretch, but it is quite time intensive. The fastest I have done this install is 5 hours w/two people (granted we weren't rushing). The second being an experienced mechanic and a garage full of all the right tools. Hope this helps.
Thanks man, that is exactly the info I was looking for, you may have just saved me a $170. Or at least made me rethink this mod. My definition of an easy job was always one where you didn't need a hacksaw to modify tools to do it.:doh:

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Thanks man, that is exactly the info I was looking for, you may have just saved me a $170. Or at least made me rethink this mod. My definition of an easy job was always one where you didn't need a hacksaw to modify tools to do it.:doh:
Oh, it's not so bad you can't do it with the "basic" hand tools. Just saying for an inexperienced person (not implying you, just generally saying) you can't just knock it out in a few hours. What helps is definitely having another set of hands for sure that is mechanically inclined. I'll tell you 170.00 is a real nice for headers that will bring your exhaust mods together.

Put it this way. By doing intake, TB, headers, and exhaust you completely tie in all the new found free flowing air. I usually tune last after completing these basic mods. What really was great about this time was how utterly responsive this model Mustang reacted. I haven't tuned yet and I am pretty impressed. And like I have stated before this is coming from a third V6 owner.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Those numbers look great!

My dealer said catbacks are as far as I could go. I'm sure it depends on the dealer.
They literally would have to tie in the engine failure to the headers, which is hard to say would be the problem in any case to void the warranty, but I totally understand your position and dealers can be tough sometimes or always, lol.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Oh, it's not so bad you can't do it with the "basic" hand tools. Just saying for an inexperienced person (not implying you, just generally saying) you can't just knock it out in a few hours. What helps is definitely having another set of hands for sure that is mechanically inclined. I'll tell you 170.00 is a real nice for headers that will bring your exhaust mods together.

Put it this way. By doing intake, TB, headers, and exhaust you completely tie in all the new found free flowing air. I usually tune last after completing these basic mods. What really was great about this time was how utterly responsive this model Mustang reacted. I haven't tuned yet and I am pretty impressed. And like I have stated before this is coming from a third V6 owner.
True that! Still hard to believe this much fun can be had out of an N/A 3.7 Litre V6. I remember growing up for a V6 to be this fun and to make 300HP it needed snail(s) attached to it. :cheers:

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
True that! Still hard to believe this much fun can be had out of an N/A 3.7 Litre V6. I remember growing up for a V6 to be this fun and to make 300HP it needed snail(s) attached to it. :cheers:
Lol, true. But honestly my first V6 was the 4.0L and i really loved that car. Modded the hell out of it. Stayed N/A for a long time. Did all the mods I could to take it as far as I could....and then after putting on last mod I sold it like a month later family reasons. But with 3.73 gears and all the normal bolt on goodies I had a lot of fun with it. I also went the suspension and weight reduction route. Thing was a blast. Handled like it was on rails, got up to 70 like wildfire, but it had its limits on top end. Great car, great memories. I'm glad my last two 3.7s have helped me move on, lol.

I want a proper intake manifold mod for this car badly. On the modding topic and not trying to highjack the thread, but I haven't gotten into the suspension yet in this car. What is the best bang for your buck upgrades i.e. like the boomba end links. I am so unfamiliar with the IRS. I still have a large cache of uninstalled suspension upgrades sitting here in my house for the last gen I never installed and need to sell. Everytime I look at it I say I need new stuff for the new car. Man modding Mustangs is too addictive.

Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Lol, true. But honestly my first V6 was the 4.0L and i really loved that car. Modded the hell out of it. Stayed N/A for a long time. Did all the mods I could to take it as far as I could....and then after putting on last mod I sold it like a month later family reasons. But with 3.73 gears and all the normal bolt on goodies I had a lot of fun with it. I also went the suspension and weight reduction route. Thing was a blast. Handled like it was on rails, got up to 70 like wildfire, but it had its limits on top end. Great car, great memories. I'm glad my last two 3.7s have helped me move on, lol.

I want a proper intake manifold mod for this car badly. On the modding topic and not trying to highjack the thread, but I haven't gotten into the suspension yet in this car. What is the best bang for your buck upgrades i.e. like the boomba end links. I am so unfamiliar with the IRS. I still have a large cache of uninstalled suspension upgrades sitting here in my house for the last gen I never installed and need to sell. Everytime I look at it I say I need new stuff for the new car. Man modding Mustangs is too addictive.
IRS isn't so different, in fact it's just like the old suspension in three significant ways. First it holds the wheels on the car. Second it wheel hops like a duck on a hot plate, and third there is a plethora of parts designed that are advertised to cure wheel hop but in reality will have little or no effect at all. A combination of everything available might work but don't count on it. My 12 was a manual and hopped like crazy and I tried everything but springs to no avail until I put AirLift bags in the coils. Got 95% of it and was the cheapest mod I did on it.:frusty:

Yes and I've got brand new stuff for the sixth gen that I haven't even been able to give away, but fortunately I do have a river nearby.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IRS isn't so different, in fact it's just like the old suspension in three significant ways. First it holds the wheels on the car. Second it wheel hops like a duck on a hot plate, and third there is a plethora of parts designed that are advertised to cure wheel hop but in reality will have little or no effect at all. A combination of everything available might work but don't count on it. My 12 was a manual and hopped like crazy and I tried everything but springs to no avail until I put AirLift bags in the coils. Got 95% of it and was the cheapest mod I did on it.:frusty:

Yes and I've got brand new stuff for the sixth gen that I haven't even been able to give away, but fortunately I do have a river nearby.
This is true, vertical links (any brand of your choice), BMR cradle lock-outs, and diff bushings (any brand of your choice) are all great places to start. Even friends who normally like the light/sure footed nature of FWD admit how playful and "grippy" my vehicle is after those mods and I don't have any of the PP suspension stuff yet. My next suspension mods will be replacing the soft rubber bushings with bearings. IRS is easy to work on, the main thing is making sure your torque specs are correct because none of this stuff likes being over torqued whatsoever. Other than that easy peasy.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
This is true, vertical links (any brand of your choice), BMR cradle lock-outs, and diff bushings (any brand of your choice) are all great places to start. Even friends who normally like the light/sure footed nature of FWD admit how playful and "grippy" my vehicle is after those mods and I don't have any of the PP suspension stuff yet. My next suspension mods will be replacing the soft rubber bushings with bearings. IRS is easy to work on, the main thing is making sure your torque specs are correct because none of this stuff likes being over torqued whatsoever. Other than that easy peasy.

Thanks brother! Just what I was looking for.

darksides550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 Shadow Black

This excites me even more! Of those you listed I'd only need a TB and the headers. Idk if I'd wanna go catless. I'd rather just not have to worry about that for now.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
This excites me even more! Of those you listed I'd only need a TB and the headers. Idk if I'd wanna go catless. I'd rather just not have to worry about that for now.
Oh no don't go careless. By exhaust upgrade I mean full-catback, which entails bigger piping (not to big, some disagree on this) less restrictive mufflers, and either a resonator box delete or a free flowing replacement.
Sponsored