Sponsored

Battery tender ?

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So winter is here, and I don't really want to drive my baby during bad weather so I'll only be driving Her on the nicer days. My question is do you guys recommend me getting a battery tender, even if I'll be trying to drive her maybe once every two weeks ?
Sponsored

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Yes !
I tried to connect mine last week but the battery cables/connections don't support the permanent connections so you will probably need to use the alligator type The cover also needs to be removed to get to the battery.

OP
OP

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks ! I'll order one. Is there anything else you might recommend me doing to it while it's not in use for a few weeks ?

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
There are different schools of thought on how much gas you put in the tank. Generally you don't want the gas to sit for more than 30 days. I never put more than 6-7 gallons in the tank at a time this time of year.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Moisture in the air can slowly get into a partially filled gas tank as atmospheric pressure varies or garage temps go up an down. The more air in the tank, the greater chance of moisture condensing into the gas. When I winter-store my cars, I add an 'ethanol' gas storage treatment before I top off the tank. I have never had problems come the next Spring. If you use 'Stabil' etc., make sure that it says "for ethanol". Regular Stabil was original formulated for non-alcohol fuels.
My battery tender came with a 'polarized' plug for the wires. I can leave the battery connectors on permanently and only have to plug the tender into the polarized cable. You don't need heavy gauge wires to maintain your battery.

Sponsored

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Got a pic of the permanent hook ups ? I didn't see how mine could be attached due to the lack of terminal end bolts.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Battery terminals for tender.

I should have mentioned that the polarized wire/plugs for my tender were installed on my 2010 GT. I have looked at the battery on the 2015, at my dealer. (He was interested on tender hook-ups, so he removed the battery cover for both of us to look at it).
Because the amperage from the tender is so low, I think I might be able to drill a couple of small stainless screws into the battery posts and attach the tender wires that way.
Having polarized plugs on the tender wires allows me to simply unplug the tender and only a short wire extends from the battery. I won't have to monkey with the battery cover once the tender wires are attached. I never liked the alligator clips that come with most tenders.

randyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
OMG you guys must be old... 30 years ago you didn't want gas to sit for more than 90+ days. Todays fuels are made to sit for 2+ years. Fill your tank and keep the condensation out. Don't worry about your fuel. its not going to go bad anytime soon. Thanks to the military for advancing fuel technology btw...

There are different schools of thought on how much gas you put in the tank. Generally you don't want the gas to sit for more than 30 days. I never put more than 6-7 gallons in the tank at a time this time of year.
Sponsored