Sponsored

Bad wheel bearing - 18k miles

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
This really pisses me off. Any follow up from Ford?
Just wanted to keep an update on the situation. While I tried to get more proof of my squealing issue. I tried to diagnostic myself. I know if I put my car in sport mode and redline it I'll hear a loud chirp. (I fixed that part) I ordered 2 new belts and a belt tensioner assembly. So far, that fixed the chirp at high RPM.

Then, I took my car to another Ford. I have that squealing noise (see video below). The more I drove my car and the more I brake also at high speed the more I felt like my tire/wheel was about to pop out of the car. It happened at low speed too from time to time. At first they told me my rotors were warped (I highly doubt it). Then when I brought the car to that new dealership I had my dashcam on while they were doing a test drive to hear that squealing noise. They couldn't hear it until they were on their way back to the dealership. I heard them saying I had bad bearing for sure in the wheels and the whining noise was coming from the tranny...

They called me yesterday to tell me they're about to replace both wheel bearing and that they never saw bearings failing bad like mine when they took them off :shrug: They also said they're gonna take my tranny apart and check that whining noise.:headbonk:

Here's the noise:
[ame]
Sponsored

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The front wheel bearing is probably a roller bearing that's pressed into the hub/wheel stud assembly; it's not a tapered bearing like the old days that you pre-load and lock down the adjustment nut with a cotter pin.

The 251 ft-lbs of torque on the hub nut is simply holding the hub assembly to the axle. If that nut was loose, then the whole hub/wheel was loose on the axle ... NOT good.
So if the bearing is bad, you have to replace the whole hub?
Sponsored