Sponsored

Avoid the Ecoboom for only $10

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I'd been noticing my car had been needing more gas than normal to get going from a stop for a few weeks.

Finally, last Friday, I had to take my car on a road trip for my work in 100 degree weather. I was noticing that giving her gas on the freeway in top gear, between 2000-3000 RPM, the engine response was off, and there was a lot of hesitation (prime territory for LSPI-Low Speed Pre-Igniton for those of you that have been keeping track of the possible Ecoboom causes).

So, on the way back, I stopped in one of the few towns that doesn't rip you off for gas along the freeway. I stopped at the local Fred Meyer first, and found the automotive section, and purchased a bottle of Chevron Concentrate Plus fuel system cleaner (the big bottle, the one that advertises it treats up to 20 gallons). Then I went to the gas station, and filled up with Chevron Premium (92 octane). Problem completely solved within 2-3 minutes of running :thumbsup: She feels like she did the day I drove her off the dealer lot... (Odometer at 9,200 miles as of this evening).

I know that many of you might think that relatively expensive fuel system treatment is not worth it in our engines, as we don't get any of the valve/intake cleaning benefits of it, but it seems that the injectors alone can use the TLC :)

There's been some data logs on the Focus ST that have shown that the injectors on the cylinder that blows have up to 30% lower fuel flow than the rest of them...so show your fuel injectors some love!
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I use only top tier 93 juice from BP or Exxon and have never experienced an issue of any kind. The EB is engineered for 93, and top tier juice will keep the internal components nice and clean.
jerk5.jpg

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
I use only top tier 93 juice from BP or Exxon and have never experienced an issue of any kind. The EB is engineered for 93, and top tier juice will keep the internal components nice and clean.
I've only ever put top tier gas into her tank...and 92 octane is the max that's readily available in our part of the country :crazy: Injectors will still clog even with top tier, they'll just do it less quickly. And that has been my experience on more than one car...

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
This issue has happened to people that run Top Tier gas. Carbon build up is a by product of the combustion process.

gUiTo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 trailblazer
doesn't the aux fueling solve most of the carbon build up since it sprays fuel on the intake valves? ( well on the back side of them...)

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
doesn't the aux fueling solve most of the carbon build up since it sprays fuel on the intake valves? ( well on the back side of them...)
The OP is in reference to the injectors themselves not the valves. An auxiliary fuel kit would help clean the valves but wouldn't do anything in the way of helping clean the injectors.

gUiTo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 trailblazer
finding clogged or clogging injectors in such a new car makes me wonder, dirty gas???

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Top Tier gas will help keep your engine components clean, that is a fact. We all understand that injectors will become clogged and carbon buildup may occur, but I have never had a clogged injector or a carbon buildup problem in any vehicle I have owned.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

I have 2 GDI Turbo's in my garage and have had zero problems with dirty injectors, carbon buildup, etc. My other GDI Turbo has 30k miles and runs on regular Top Tier gas and has never had an issue. I just had the 30k mile service on that vehicle which included a fuel service from the dealer. That vehicle is running as strong as ever and has never hesitated, bogged down, etc.

If you want to keep your engine components clean use Top Tier gas only. That is all I am saying. Using discount, cheap fuel will surely not help the situation.

Last edited:

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So Sunoco is not considered a Top Tier gas retailer?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored
OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
finding clogged or clogging injectors in such a new car makes me wonder, dirty gas???
Well, it's happened to just about every car I own at some point, old or new, foreign or domestic, etc. Injectors clogging is nothing unusual, and you, as the owner, can usually remedy the problem yourself.

Auto makers are making the problem worse, though, as they have dropped the fuel filter from many vehicles and are relying on a screen at the fuel pump face in the fuel tank (which is much less effective than a fuel filter).

I did fill up twice in Canada on my summer road trip this summer at stations I've never heard of before: Esso (which I know is the Canadian/European name for Exxon), and Co-Op, which I guess is a co-op (I was on Vancouver Island, and the part of the island I was at when I needed gas didn't have any other types of filling stations). I found out later, though, that the Co-Op stations have the benefit of not having ethanol added on their Premium grade :thumbsup:I actually got 30 MPG on that tank after filling up at the Co-Op :D

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious what gas stations do you frequent in the Mustang or other cars you have owned? Do you use non top tier gas?

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
You need to floor it more often lol:headbang:

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Curious what gas stations do you frequent in the Mustang or other cars you have owned? Do you use non top tier gas?
Costco, mostly...about 90% of the time. And yes, it is top tier rated. If I can't gas up at Costco, it's usually Chevron or 76.

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
You need to floor it more often lol:headbang:
Oooh, my car knows the hammer of the pedal well...I'm a regular practitioner of the Italian tune-up :cool:
Sponsored