Autocross: Thoughts on Class to Run In

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
I don't care what class you run in, as long as you show up for your work assignment.

(so says the worker chief) :frusty:
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I just go for fun. Way too many people take auto-x too seriously... They spent about 15 min scratching their head where to class my 1978 Trans Am. Idfc, let me have fun. :cheers:
Aint that the truth. Youre driving around a cone filled parking lot.....who cares what times you run and if you do most of the course sideways..... even better.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Aint that the truth. Youre driving around a cone filled parking lot.....who cares what times you run and if you do most of the course sideways..... even better.
One time, for me, a guy knocked over a cone. As I was going to reset it (he was still mid run, now the other side of the course) I guess I accidentally tripped the finish line sensor. He about lost his mind. Mistakes happen, chill out. He got another run out of it.

I can't wait to do as many as I can this year. There is a surprising amount of awesome cars that come out of no where by me - Z06's, GTR's, there even might be a McLaren 650s this year! It is fun to compare times, but I don't care about classes in the least!

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
That's kind of what CAM is for. People that just want to run their modded out cars and don't really care about time.

I'm wondering how they are going to run it at Nats as well. Things can get pretty interesting in ESP, and I think that will be about the extent of my budget.

2/14/15:

On a side note. I picked up my car today. It will be competing in our local event at Circuit of the America's tomorrow. Hope to get it on scales, and a baseline dyno in the next two weeks.

Last edited:

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I'm not sure which class Id follow in. I've got a Ecoboost. But it isn't stock, it'll eventually be lowered with springs and wider tires. Which class would that fall into?

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I'm not sure which class Id follow in. I've got a Ecoboost. But it isn't stock, it'll eventually be lowered with springs and wider tires. Which class would that fall into?
Stock (Street) class is FS, Street Prepared is ESP. Doesn't look like Street Touring has a class for EcoBoost Mustangs. CAM-C

This quick guide to the class categories might help:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2015-1-28 Quick Reference of Category Allowances.pdf

Complete Rules here: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2015-2-23_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online1.pdf

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo, greater than 2 liters is STU.
Thanks. Learned something. I spent over 20 years driving a Formula Ford in CM and know very little about the Street Touring classes and missed the catch all below. I'm running a 2015 GT in FS this year.

Sedans & Coupes NOC (non-sportscar-
based; 4-seat minimum; over
5.1L normally aspirated or 2.0L to
3.1L forced induction
)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's generally better to use your local regions web site. As the MotorsportsReg and similar sites aren't used by everyone, and even when they are, they sometimes miss things.

http://www.scca.com/about/?cid=44660&r=ne
Good point. However there are independent clubs which aren't part of SCCA. Best to use the links I posted AND the SCCA links. Once you find one club then it is pretty easy to find out about the others who are hosting events in your area.

Back many decades ago I found the first autocross I drove in by going to autoparts stores near Ft Devens looking for notices on their physical bulletin boards (1969 or 1970 . . . car was a 69 Mustang). Yes I've been around awhile. :)
Sponsored