Sponsored

Aussie Exhausts

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I personally went for the XForce Varex full system including headers.

Sounds freakin' awesome.
Sponsored

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Is it just me or do all American made exhausts focus on volume rather than quality. To me the all seem to have off sounding resonances and just sound a bit thrashy and unrefined......Here is a clip of a Coyote FPV with difillipo exhaust....now to my ears this sounds the business....angry but refined...like a maserati or audi V8.....the only thing I can think of as to why they don't make the mustang sound like this is that ALL exhaust manufacturers persist with dual pipes the whole way whereas the FPV combine the flows into a single pipe before splitting back out......much nicer sound. When is someone going to go against the norm and produce something more exotic and less generic for mustang.

I think this is all a matter of preference. I have an American muscle car come sports car and with the AWE system I get that volume combined with deep tone. But it's not everyone's cup of tea and I get that too. Listen to real world sounding cars and then pick what you like. It is after all your pony car :)

Last edited:

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is all a matter of preference. I have an American muscle car come sports car and with the AWE system I get that volume combined with deep tone. But it's not everyone's cup of tea and I get that too. Listen to real world sounding cars and then pick what you like. It is after all your pony car :)
Any of you guys been looking at kooks headers .... I know there expensive but that’s about it

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Headers are on the list for next year. Apparently Kooks and ARH are pretty popular in the US - good reputation for quality. Talk to American Speed. I think they are expensive at the moment due to the improvement in the $US

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Might need to be careful with the US ones though since our (iirc) power steering gets in the way so we can't fit the same size/design headers as the yanks can. The factory ones are different because of this

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I'm not sure the extra for Kooks/ARH are worth it honestly. When you can get hurricane (or even xforce though I'm not a fan) installed for around $2500, mated up to your catback. The kooks/arh are much more expensive, then you still have to pay for install, and could need custom mid pipes depending on what catback you have.

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Porsche 987 Spyder
I'm not sure the extra for Kooks/ARH are worth it honestly. When you can get hurricane (or even xforce though I'm not a fan) installed for around $2500, mated up to your catback. The kooks/arh are much more expensive, then you still have to pay for install, and could need custom mid pipes depending on what catback you have.
Matt agree with you on the Hurricane headers being the cheaper in cost over the Kooks or the ARH. However and I am saying this as the importer for both Kooks and ARH there are a number of things in favour of the US ones. Firstly they are US Made 304 Stainless Steel (not a cheap mild steel which corrodes from the inside out even when coated on the outside or a T409 SS which is in fact a low quality stainless. KOOKS and ARH both have spiked merge collectors with slip jointed extension pipes. A choice of Catalytic Convertors, one being that you have to do a tune to avoid CEL coming on and the Green Catted type which allows you to retain the factory tune as they fire up instantly also US/Canadian Made unlike the poor quality cats that are incorporated here in order to get cost down and maximize margins. ARH and KOOKS are available with a series of rear connects which marry straight up to your standard factory system or any aftermarket system that replaces the factory system and utilises the same front connection. In the case of three inch connects ie Corsa there is a connector for them as most other US made 3" systems. Both are available as 1 3/4" or a 1 7/8". ARH and KOOKs have both made outstanding products for a long time and I and some others who sell them do not sell them for any huge margin. They are priced from around $2700 including cats and a competent installer can get them installed in around 4 1/2 hrs. I could sell one set of the cheaper local or chinese brands and make three to four even five times the margin that I get from the trouble of importing the US ones and stocking them at a tiny margin, why do think they push brand X, P or H so hard its because they have HUGE margins on them, X Brand around 40%. For me I chose to stock and sell KOOKS and ARH because of their quality, engineering, horsepower and torque gains. Take a look at anyone that seriously builds engines and races hard on the street or track in the US, they choose either ARH or KOOKS. There is a difference and that's not one that companies here would like to admit.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Good point on the 409, something I didn't really consider with headers. Interestingly, SF list theirs as 304, but they use Pacemaker as far as I'm aware. I thought Pacies were 409? Have never been able to find any info on their Mustang headers which is annoying, except for the SWD website which lists them as 409

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Matt agree with you on the Hurricane headers being the cheaper in cost over the Kooks or the ARH. However and I am saying this as the importer for both Kooks and ARH there are a number of things in favour of the US ones. Firstly they are US Made 304 Stainless Steel (not a cheap mild steel which corrodes from the inside out even when coated on the outside or a T409 SS which is in fact a low quality stainless. KOOKS and ARH both have spiked merge collectors with slip jointed extension pipes. A choice of Catalytic Convertors, one being that you have to do a tune to avoid CEL coming on and the Green Catted type which allows you to retain the factory tune as they fire up instantly also US/Canadian Made unlike the poor quality cats that are incorporated here in order to get cost down and maximize margins. ARH and KOOKS are available with a series of rear connects which marry straight up to your standard factory system or any aftermarket system that replaces the factory system and utilises the same front connection. In the case of three inch connects ie Corsa there is a connector for them as most other US made 3" systems. Both are available as 1 3/4" or a 1 7/8". ARH and KOOKs have both made outstanding products for a long time and I and some others who sell them do not sell them for any huge margin. They are priced from around $2700 including cats and a competent installer can get them installed in around 4 1/2 hrs. I could sell one set of the cheaper local or chinese brands and make three to four even five times the margin that I get from the trouble of importing the US ones and stocking them at a tiny margin, why do think they push brand X, P or H so hard its because they have HUGE margins on them, X Brand around 40%. For me I chose to stock and sell KOOKS and ARH because of their quality, engineering, horsepower and torque gains. Take a look at anyone that seriously builds engines and races hard on the street or track in the US, they choose either ARH or KOOKS. There is a difference and that's not one that companies here would like to admit.
Fred how many units have you sold of kooks & to anyone in Sydney especially I need to have a listen .?

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've been looking for either a axle or cat back for my 17 GT and don't want anything that is real loud or has that harsh raspy sound
One shop recommended the Roush axle back saying its not loud unless you're really up it but youtube videos I've seen they seem pretty loud to me
I spoke to someone that had the Borla Touring and he gave it the thumbs up, the only Borla I've actually heard in the flesh was the dealer fitted EU type
It didn't sound too bad and definitely not loud, any owners with these that can comment, thanks

Sponsored

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
I've been looking for either a axle or cat back for my 17 GT and don't want anything that is real loud or has that harsh raspy sound
One shop recommended the Roush axle back saying its not loud unless you're really up it but youtube videos I've seen they seem pretty loud to me
I spoke to someone that had the Borla Touring and he gave it the thumbs up, the only Borla I've actually heard in the flesh was the dealer fitted EU type
It didn't sound too bad and definitely not loud, any owners with these that can comment, thanks
I have the Ford Racing Touring Axleback.

I love the sound of it and the tips look brilliant !

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have a Borla Touring cat back. Certainly no rasp, a deep throaty growl. Its loud, but really only above 3000 rpm so can be driven conservatively if needed.
I actually like the sound of the Roush mufflers but they are quite raspy to my ears so might no be what you are looking for.

Reactions: gj

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Is the Ford racing Touring axle back mufflers are different to the cat back system?
I don't think the Roush would be what I'm looking for, have never liked those sort of sounds from a V8
bit like the bad old days of 253 Holdens that crackled loudly but were slower than a 6cyl

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
Is the Ford racing Touring axle back mufflers are different to the cat back system?
I don't think the Roush would be what I'm looking for, have never liked those sort of sounds from a V8
bit like the bad old days of 253 Holdens that crackled loudly but were slower than a 6cyl
Yes I got mine online from American Muscle (about 2 years ago now) with postage it was quite expensive. They also have some good comparison videos.

In the end I’m happy with the look and the choice I made.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
II spoke to someone that had the Borla Touring and he gave it the thumbs up, the only Borla I've actually heard in the flesh was the dealer fitted EU type
I have the Borla Touring CB and it's awesome - zero rasp and absolutely no drone - sounds like a muscle car now (but not loud enough to piss off the neighbours).

I'll link to @IngoStang 's thoughts, as he said it better than me.

www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/aussie-exhausts.21198/page-98#post-1572458

Got my Borla Touring Cat Back installed today and thought I'd share my thoughts and opinion..... Keep in mind, exhaust notes are very subjective and a very personal taste.

Idle is definitely more noticeable, with a much deeper slightly louder tone. Like others have mentioned, I would say its about 10% louder, maybe a bit more. On the throttle as normal it sounds beautiful all the way through the rev range, only getting deeper in tone as you hit the higher RPM...... The sound almost reminds of what a Gorilla would sound like if you tried to steal his Banana haha!

Its not obnoxious sounding at all and definitely no drone on the highway. In sports mode for us Auto drivers, it burbles perfectly when up revving on the gear downshift with no splutter or backfiring and just purrs as the revs lower.

Anyone considering the Touring System, go for it! If its the deep, throaty V8 sound you want, this system will not disappoint :thumbsup:
Sponsored