Sponsored

August 2013 Mustang Sales and Production Figures (and vs. Camaro & Challenger)

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Almost 10 years of production... If you really think about it, there were a million S197's built, about 70% of those 1 million Mustang's have 2 owners. Probably 50% of those 700,000 are on their 3rd owner and maybe more still. In the end, your looking at close to 3 million S197 owners over the last 10 years. For a performance car today, at the current MSRP... that's insane.

At the 5th Gens current sales rate, it would take them until 2023-'26 to sell a million 5th Gen Camaro's... Also, initial sales projections were over 150,000 a year which means, the Camaro would have paid for itself within 3-4 years. Sales were half of that (and less). The 5th Gen may never be paid in full. According to a C5 member, profits are estimated to be around a billion dollars (at $3000 per sale). The 5th Gen program was well over 4 billion no doubt. Figure in the constant R&D from the 2010 Camaro, '11 Vert, '12 ZL1, '13 1LE and '14 z28 and refresh and... that billion dollars is gone...

Even if the 5th Gen continued until 2020 with NO updates, it may still finish in the red... The 5th Gen Camaro was a loss for Chevy financially, an attention getter sure but, I doubt we will see a huge 6th Gen based on roll-over profits.

Kinda off topic but I disagree, the Camaro was needed so Mustangs can have a Coyote!!!! I wouldn't have a bought a mustang if Ford didn't do something to make more hp, plus I love OHC motors. Thank GOD for the Camaro and it's sales are strong ONLY and I repeat ONLY due to it's absence. Ford will take the lead again if the s550 is a huge success. Everyone I know bought a Camaro because it went extinct for so long.
Sponsored

HTownStang

I agree some of it is still riding the tail end of the Transformers hype but they really built up a good fan base since then. It's a tight loyal group over there

My guess is the majority of those Camaro sales were 13's. There were running some pretty big incentives.

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
The new car will open sales up to more customers. For example, the base version may have good enough fuel mileage and a low enough price to entice people who might otherwise get a four door sedan of some sort, even though they almost never use the rear seat. That is why I think a hatchback would be so helpful. It would expand the potential pool of buyers.

Melino

Maybe they'll have to use these kinds of tactics if 2014 sales extend into spring/summer next year?

Ford using stair-step incentives to boost Lincoln volume

Ford Motor Co., moving to support its limping Lincoln brand, has begun using a bonus program that car dealers criticize as confusing and unfair.

Such dealer-bonus programs, often called stair-step incentives, involve Ford paying dealers more cash per model as they cross sales thresholds. They are in effect this month in markets such as New York and Washington, D.C., according to memos distributed to dealers. The incentives available are as much as $1,500 per sale.

Stair-step incentives have been criticized by dealers. The temptation to win such bonuses can lead to steep discounts or generous trade-ins, and the programs can result in a drop-off in sales once they expire.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...entives-to-boost-lincoln-volume#axzz2e3qtrUQb

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
The new car will open sales up to more customers. For example, the base version may have good enough fuel mileage and a low enough price to entice people who might otherwise get a four door sedan of some sort, even though they almost never use the rear seat. That is why I think a hatchback would be so helpful. It would expand the potential pool of buyers.
For regular buyers yea it could steal some sales of smaller sedans and other FWD vehicles, but more importantly I think it could sway some enthusiasts away from other affordable RWD cars... BRZ/FRS buyers.

Sponsored

J.Darcy

I agree some of it is still riding the tail end of the Transformers hype but they really built up a good fan base since then. It's a tight loyal group over there

My guess is the majority of those Camaro sales were 13's. There were running some pretty big incentives.
So the August Camaro sales include both the 2013 and the 2014 refreshed model? Wonder what a full month of 2014-only sales will look like then.

stang4.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg
2015 Mustang EcoBoost (manual) MPG.jpg
2015 Mustang V6 (manual) MPG.jpg
2015 Mustang V6 (auto) MPG.jpg

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Not long in the tooth, people are waiting for the S550 before making up their mind. Simple and smart really for the most part, but for me I bought a 13 at a ridiculous cheap price, couldn't have passed it up with the trade-in and the discounts plus I know the owner's brother. All cars get long in the tooth anyways (the Camaro is very outdated looking yet it sells!, it's about the $$$$ and great deals.)
I'd say it's long in the tooth-- literally. Everyone I show my '08 GT500 to comments on how much better the front end looks than the 13-14 models. Everyone. I've only seen a few 13-14 Mustangs in my town 130,000 and I live in California... Ford totally screwed the pooch on the front end of these cars in 2013 by putting that bulbous nose on the front. Even the sales guy on the Ford lot that I bought my Shelby from said they aren't selling because people don't like how they look-- they can't even get a lot of folks to commit to test driving them...

Believe it or not... aesthetics have a lot more to do with sales than substance these days. Just look at how well the Camaro and Challenger are selling-- and both those cars get pwned by Mustangs all day long. Also, look at how well the new Fusion is selling, compared to the bland design that came before it... Face it folks, Mustang sales are a self-inflicted wound from the Ford design department. :shrug:

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
ngiotta has a good point. The current design was a big step backwards which will be corrected in the 2015 model.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Give me a '13/'14 over and '05/'09 any day. And I own an '05 ;)

Looks are subjective, of course, but I personally wouldn't have thought looks are currently the Mustang's biggest problem.

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
I'd say it's long in the tooth-- literally. Everyone I show my '08 GT500 to comments on how much better the front end looks than the 13-14 models. Everyone. I've only seen a few 13-14 Mustangs in my town 130,000 and I live in California... Ford totally screwed the pooch on the front end of these cars in 2013 by putting that bulbous nose on the front. Even the sales guy on the Ford lot that I bought my Shelby from said they aren't selling because people don't like how they look-- they can't even get a lot of folks to commit to test driving them...

Believe it or not... aesthetics have a lot more to do with sales than substance these days. Just look at how well the Camaro and Challenger are selling-- and both those cars get pwned by Mustangs all day long. Also, look at how well the new Fusion is selling, compared to the bland design that came before it... Face it folks, Mustang sales are a self-inflicted wound from the Ford design department. :shrug:
I tend to agree, the S550 should sell on looks alone if they nail it. A lot of stuff can be overlooked if a car is truly stunning.

But I haven't heard anyone say that current sales are a result of bad design from the 13-14's tho.... i tend to think sales are just drying up for anyone that has already or would consider buying a S197. They'll get some more with discounts but for most part its running on fumes at this point. It'll be refreshing to see Mustang back on top after the 2015 goes on sale.

Sponsored

Somms

So the August Camaro sales include both the 2013 and the 2014 refreshed model? Wonder what a full month of 2014-only sales will look like then.
From what I've seen on C5 it seems most guys aren't that thrilled about the refresh. Definitely not as warm a reception as the 13-14 Mustang refreshes. I'm still wondering why they bothered. Sales are doing OK and they can ride on the Mustang's waning sales until mid next year.

pistolpete

From what I've seen on C5 it seems most guys aren't that thrilled about the refresh. Definitely not as warm a reception as the 13-14 Mustang refreshes. I'm still wondering why they bothered. Sales are doing OK and they can ride on the Mustang's waning sales until mid next year.
Don't most people start off hating every refresh?

Love it or hate it, I think they deserve some credit for even trying... they did afterall just improve the interiors of the whole lineup along with some other upgrades (dampers, anti-roll bars, etc) just a year ago. They didn't HAVE to refresh the look but whether people liked the changes it still improved the car's performance however slight .... the lower openings to improve cooling and the rear for better aerodynamics.

If I were a camaro fanboy I'd be happy they even bothered after beating the Mustang 3 straight years in sales. Anyhow we can all hope Ford ups the ante next year.... competition is great for us all.
Sponsored