Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ablelockshop.com
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible Premium PP, Magnaride,Exhaust
I just purchased this sweet ride fully loaded except for the B & O premium stereo. I was disappointed that it did not have the premium stereo but then read a bunch of posts claiming that the B & O was not particularly great.
I found the sound to be muffled and not very bright. I did not want to go crazy with upgrades so I decided to change some of the speakers.
I purchased everything from Crutchfield because their prices are competitive and their website and customer service is excellent. Went with Infinity Reference 3 1/2 2 way for the upper door speakers and the center channel speaker. Relatively easy to change. Hardest part was disassembling door panels. Had to do a little stripping and splicing with the old and new wire harnesses but everything fit in quite well.
Then I changed out the rear side panel speakers with Kicker 4x6 2 ways. Crutchfield included the wiring adaptors and universal size adaptors for free. Truly plug and play with wiring but I did need to modify the plastic spacers to fit properly. Everything fit well and the panels fit back over them perfectly.
Using the stock stereo and amplifier the sound is excellent. Crisp, bright and loud. Really as loud as anyone could need (especially when you have the GT engine burbling in the back ground). Very happy with this under $250 upgrade. You can't beat it. Only possible addition might be a small self powered subwoofer in the future to round out the sound a bit. It is definitely brighter than it is deep. Bass is not bad but the subwoofer would make this system perfect--for me.
Sponsored

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR,18 EB Vert,12 GT500 Vert, 05 V6 Vert
Man, I love this!!! I am pretty disappointed with my 22's 9 speaker sound. Did you change the equalizer settings with For scan?

OP
OP
Kenvid

Kenvid

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ablelockshop.com
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible Premium PP, Magnaride,Exhaust
Yes I did play around with Forscan settings. I think it made an improvement but I think it already sounded pretty good prior to the change. Perhaps it got a little louder and a little bassier. I have to say that messing around with Forscan makes me a little nervous so I recommend caution to anyone who starts making changes. You just don't know what could happen when you mess around with the "brain" of the car.

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
Yes I did play around with Forscan settings. I think it made an improvement but I think it already sounded pretty good prior to the change. Perhaps it got a little louder and a little bassier. I have to say that messing around with Forscan makes me a little nervous so I recommend caution to anyone who starts making changes. You just don't know what could happen when you mess around with the "brain" of the car.
Any way you can possibly share what you did for Forscan to get the equalizer stuff better? I'm thinking about buying Forscan to change the sound equalizer. The stock system without the upgraded one is not as good as I hope.

Additionally bonus if you could find me a sheet that tells me what to turn on/off for my 2018 that would be solid!

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I just purchased this sweet ride fully loaded except for the B & O premium stereo. I was disappointed that it did not have the premium stereo but then read a bunch of posts claiming that the B & O was not particularly great.
I found the sound to be muffled and not very bright. I did not want to go crazy with upgrades so I decided to change some of the speakers.
I purchased everything from Crutchfield because their prices are competitive and their website and customer service is excellent. Went with Infinity Reference 3 1/2 2 way for the upper door speakers and the center channel speaker. Relatively easy to change. Hardest part was disassembling door panels. Had to do a little stripping and splicing with the old and new wire harnesses but everything fit in quite well.
Then I changed out the rear side panel speakers with Kicker 4x6 2 ways. Crutchfield included the wiring adaptors and universal size adaptors for free. Truly plug and play with wiring but I did need to modify the plastic spacers to fit properly. Everything fit well and the panels fit back over them perfectly.
Using the stock stereo and amplifier the sound is excellent. Crisp, bright and loud. Really as loud as anyone could need (especially when you have the GT engine burbling in the back ground). Very happy with this under $250 upgrade. You can't beat it. Only possible addition might be a small self powered subwoofer in the future to round out the sound a bit. It is definitely brighter than it is deep. Bass is not bad but the subwoofer would make this system perfect--for me.
Just found your post, I have a 2021 Convertible and am debating just swapping out the 2 speakers in the back. Mainly since it looks like a quick and easy swap.
Did you do all yours at once or in phases, curious how much difference the backs would make.

Sponsored

billdog22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang eco
Doing the same project now, 2022 coupe ecoboost with the B&O stereo included. Knowing that B&O is a licensing deal for Ford sourced parts, the B&O sound is decent up front, but noticed rear sub-woofer and deck speakers truly lack. I'm taking my project in steps to cut costs.
1. Replaced stock sub-woofer with Pioneer TSA2500 shallow 10" subwoofer, swapped into the existing enclosed, adding poly stuffing into the enclosure, trying to keep stock look. Difference was a little, tighter bass, not huge.
2. Disconnected dash center speaker. Just opened the panel, and cut the green wire. Boom ! Bass response improved all around. Did some testing with an far better Focal speaker, at best, the Focal was transparent. Neither detracted nor added. I don't like the Surround sound in a car. I like hearing left & right stereo. The center speaker for me, is not needed. Others have cautioned it's output for Navi, and other vehicle chimes. My car does not have Navi option, and apple Carplay and Siri work without the center speaker.
Next weekend:
3a. Adding separate 4 channel Amp - Pioneer DX874 to power the Pioneer subwoofer, and connect to the rear deck speakers.
3b. Replacing Rear Deck speakers with Focal RX165's, 6.5" two ways.
3c. Grabbing signal for LC2i high low converter from the rear deck speaker wires, and the sub-amp speaker wire.
3d. Adjusting the gain, trying to get more music from the rear deck, and moderate bass thump from the Pioneer sub. then i'll be done. Under $450 DIY for everything. Should be good enough, unless i run into distortion, hissing sounds, or other issues.

Talked with a local stereo shop, they wanted $1600 to $1800 to basically do the same. I just want a more bass, and cleaner rear speaker sounds.

billdog22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang eco
Doing the same project now, 2022 coupe ecoboost with the B&O stereo included. Knowing that B&O is a licensing deal for Ford sourced parts, the B&O sound is decent up front, but noticed rear sub-woofer and deck speakers truly lack. I'm taking my project in steps to cut costs.
1. Replaced stock sub-woofer with Pioneer TSA2500 shallow 10" subwoofer, swapped into the existing enclosed, adding poly stuffing into the enclosure, trying to keep stock look. Difference was a little, tighter bass, not huge.
2. Disconnected dash center speaker. Just opened the panel, and cut the green wire. Boom ! Bass response improved all around. Did some testing with an far better Focal speaker, at best, the Focal was transparent. Neither detracted nor added. I don't like the Surround sound in a car. I like hearing left & right stereo. The center speaker for me, is not needed. Others have cautioned it's output for Navi, and other vehicle chimes. My car does not have Navi option, and apple Carplay and Siri work without the center speaker.
Next weekend:
3a. Adding separate 4 channel Amp - Pioneer DX874 to power the Pioneer subwoofer, and connect to the rear deck speakers. 4 Channel, Class D, 1200 W. max power.
3b. Replacing Rear Deck speakers with Focal RX165's, 6.5" two ways.
3c. Grabbing signal for LC2i high low converter from the rear deck speaker wires, and the sub-amp speaker wire.
3d. Adjusting the gain, trying to get more music from the rear deck, and moderate bass thump from the Pioneer sub. then i'll be done. Under $450 DIY for everything. Should be good enough, unless i run into distortion, hissing sounds, or other issues.

Talked with a local stereo shop, they wanted $1600 to $1800 to basically do the same. I just want a more bass, and cleaner rear speaker sounds.
Update: I completed Steps 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d today. Noticeable increase in highs and mid's from the rear deck Focal 2-ways. The highs and mids are so much better when the rear signal is amped through a DSP like the LC2i. I set the Pioneer amp to 4 channel, I connected the 10" Pioneer subwoofer to the B Channel separately, and connected the left and right rear decks to the A channel. After a bit of adjusting the low pass filter for the subwoofer (set it right about 100), and the high pass filter for the mids (at about 100), then bumped up the Gain to maybe 40% if that. Then use the LC2i gain controls for fine tuning.

The project is a success, the bass is perfect for me, it's low and loud when needed, with lots of punch.. My DIY cost about $650. including about $130 extra hand tools and stuff, to do the job right. (Ferrule crimping tool and connectors, mini hot air gun for some solder seal connectors, Wire stripping tool), plus better RCA cables for the connection between the DSP and amp. I'm sure I could have spent another $1,000 and used a bigger amp, and replaced the front speakers. But you reach a point of diminishing returns down the rabbit hole of audio upgrades!

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Nice to hear, i also a 22 vert and think the audio is lacking at best… ive gotten quotes from 2 local audio shops, one suggested replacing the amps increasing power with a quote price of over 3000, another shop suggested a total replacement, amps, speakers, subwoofer… 4500$ both prices are out of my budget.
Both places told me it was more a ‘power’ issue than a speaker issue…

a relatively cheap, speaker swap would be a much preferred option. Thanks for the info…

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I changed the rears on my 2021 convertible and although it helped some not as much as I had hoped.
I might try the forscan tweaks next but like others have said makes me a little nervous :)

Sponsored

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
I changed the rears on my 2021 convertible and although it helped some not as much as I had hoped.
I might try the forscan tweaks next but like others have said makes me a little nervous :)

Just a Forscan tweak will not help. This is to flatten out any eq programming ahead of new aftermarket equipment.

The issue is that the oem system is cheap and under powered. Better speakers and a new amp really changes things.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Its not a bad sound, seems when I lower the top the sound level goes down. Not sure if that's my imagination or not :)
Sponsored