Sponsored

Anyone with a GT350 going to swap out phasers and lash adjusters?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
There's no evidence at all that the phasers or lash adjusters are weak points in the Voodoo engines. One needs to also consider race series regulations as to what engine parts (OEM or aftermarket) can be used. If one needs stock internal components, then stick a stock "race" component it in the."R".
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
If I do a top end rebuild I would be doing it anyway. But just willy nilly, no.
HELL YES!!!! Lighter valve train woot woot! Maybe squeeze out some more RPM. But that will be WAAAY down the line when I crack her open.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The way I understand it is the phasers adjust cam timing, so what you will get from the higher performance versions is more accurate cam timing in performance situations.

If cam timing is off, engine power will be decreased. That is because the valves will not open and close at optimum times and the combustion chambers won't get the ideal F/A charge volume.

I don't have any idea how big an impact this will have. I suspect it isn't a huge deal. I've certainly never noticed a change in power during extended track sessions. But I know people will spend hundreds chasing 5-10 HP.

I'd be very surprised if this has any impact on engine failures. If it did, you would see failures at track events. I don't think that's common and the most common failure seems to be oil consumption - not piston hits valve resulting in many extra pieces floating around inside the engine.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
HELL YES!!!! Lighter valve train woot woot! Maybe squeeze out some more RPM. But that will be WAAAY down the line when I crack her open.
And a complete thought too. Heads, cams, hardware. Anything less is a waste of time in my particular situation. If someone wants to rip down the top end and go step by step and give us data though, be my guest so I can exploit it. :sunglasses:

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Cam phasers have so much downstream impact since they control timing, they could totally be responsible for a numbers of track-related engine failures. Without Ford telling us what they're finding in the engines being sent back, there's not much we can do but speculate, though.
I disagree. If this were true why than do we also see R failures and non R failures if the phasers are different.

Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I disagree. If this were true why than do we also see R failures and non R failures if the phasers are different.
All Components fail, in general. Failures of these components are not mutually exclusive, one or the other. Again though, R failures have been fewer and possibly for reasons other than rarity. Rather than any of these parts it’s more likely pistons/rings issues running non observant users dry on oil. 18MY received totally diff pistons/rings across the line.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My best guess is there are fewer R failures due to fewer miles driven. More of the R models probably sit in garages and are driven carefully to cars & coffee. Other R models live at the track. I think lots of street driving is probably worst use case for oil consumption - which seems to be the typical failure mode - and the regular GT350s probably get more street miles.

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
My best guess is there are fewer R failures due to fewer miles driven. More of the R models probably sit in garages and are driven carefully to cars & coffee. Other R models live at the track. I think lots of street driving is probably worst use case for oil consumption - which seems to be the typical failure mode - and the regular GT350s probably get more street miles.
This is true in my case, Long idle, Long cruise control highway driving, DD in traffic.. Booo

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I have 3 thoughts on the R phasers.

1. Ford expected a greater ratio of R's to see heavy track abuse.

2. The higher price, lower build number and special-ness of the R allowed the bean counters to green light a more expensive part. Or the other direction, the engine was designed with the G phasers but the bean counters said no way, use the coyotes.

3. There is something else going on with the R (wheel weight, tire diameter, tire stickiness) that they determined the phasers need to react quicker? Can a stuck/slow phaser that's fully advanced force a valve into a piston at low RPM?

I've heard of only one engine that was lost to P/V contact on track, they determined the cause of loss was due to the phasers. That engine has been rebuilt with lockouts. But for all we know it could have been a leaking phaser that caused the issue in the first place and not necessarily due to inadequate design.

Honestly out of those options I'm leaning towards number 2.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'll have to check my phasers - they're probably all set on stun!

Getting back to objective reality, the phaser thing is kind of a non-issue issue. That's because if the cam is where it's supposed to be, the engine works as designed. If leakage in the phaser causes the cam to wander, the ECU will detect it and throw a code, probably putting the engine into limp mode. Not only that, the cam can't go anywhere it's not supposed to go even if there's excess leakage - it can't lead to piston clash, for instance. So, can a wandering cam ruin your day? Yes. Can it ruin your engine? Not likely.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wish our engines had that kind of phasers. They would be great in traffic! pew pew - the path ahead is clear.

windsor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I bought the full M-6004-A50R kit and I'll be installing these on a 5.2 cross plane crank build, starting from scratch, stock Gen 2 heads, L&M intake cams, stock exhaust, PAC springs, titanium retainers.. Will report results.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost