Sponsored

Anyone here from or been to the Germany (Autobahn)

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The fiance and I are going on a honeymoon to Europe this summer and I'm trying to work out driving the Autobahn just to experience it once. I understand it's not a "drive as fast as you want" free-for-all but I would like to drive it just once in my lifetime. Since we are going to be in Berlin for 5 days, it makes sense that this is the time to do it.

Does anyone have advice on who is good to rent a car through? And is the Autobahn just a highway? Get on/get off? Anything special to note? When trying to look it up it's not treated like a tourist attaction (which it isn't), but this makes it hard to find the specifics.

Thanks!
Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I have been there several times. Once I had a VW Polo and I was able to hit 120 mph at times with it. Just get a Mercedes or a BMW 3-4 series and have your fun. When you see a round sign with /// going across it then put the hammer down and it is as fast as you can safely navigate. Just don't stay in the left lane. There will be much faster cars then you coming up very quickly. It's not like the states where people stay under 85. You will have large BMW, Mercs, and Audi's coming up behind you and before you know it they are all over your ass.

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Comp Orange. 65 Fastback ,T5, 302
I second that. Study the road signs, only certain parts of the autobahn are a free for all. Most of it DOES have speed limits. It is pretty much just like an american interstate system, with on and off ramps and such. You may have a hard time getting a rental, not sure though. I know its much harder to get a drivers license and much more expensive over in GE. Their standards are much higher due to the better roads and higher speed limits, so you wont really see beat up redneck vehicles on the autobahn. I am sure you can talk to local tourist guides and get all the info you need though. He is right, stay OUT of the left lane unless you are really getting on it and passing someone, as a faster car is bound to come up on you dangerously fast.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I second that. Study the road signs, only certain parts of the autobahn are a free for all. Most of it DOES have speed limits. It is pretty much just like an american interstate system, with on and off ramps and such. You may have a hard time getting a rental, not sure though. I know its much harder to get a drivers license and much more expensive over in GE. Their standards are much higher due to the better roads and higher speed limits, so you wont really see beat up redneck vehicles on the autobahn. I am sure you can talk to local tourist guides and get all the info you need though. He is right, stay OUT of the left lane unless you are really getting on it and passing someone, as a faster car is bound to come up on you dangerously fast.
Stateside driver's license is fine for a rental. Done it several times.

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt
Last Fall my wife and I drove the autobahns in Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria and Germany. We rented a Ford Mondeo wagon with a diesel. I was able to run it in the 90 -110 mph range without any issue.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Stay in the right lane unless you are passing

2. Watch you rear view mirrors, especially the driver's door mirror. If you are passing, check the mirror before you start moving into the left lane. If you see a 'Dot' in your mirror, do not attempt to pass, the 'Dot' could very well be coming up at a very high rate of speed. Even though you may be running 90 mph, the car coming up to you could be running 140+ mph. The 50+ mph differential closes the gap very quickly.

3. Enjoy the ride, but don't try to peg the car's speedometer. I did not see any police while on the autobahn, but it's not worth pushing your luck.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Agree with all the previous posts. I've visited Germany several times and the highway system there is awesome. People actually respect the act of driving and the country takes care of its roads.

Rent a BMW 3 series or similar sized car and you'll be surprised at how well they can handle the speeds you'll be seeing.

Last thing that hasn't been mentioned....speeding fines are ridiculously expensive, they can range in the thousands of dollars if you are fined. And while the roads are well prepared and maintained, an accident at the speeds you are talking about will most certainly be fatal. Something to keep in mind when you think about putting the hammer down.

GT_Bonn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guenther
Vehicle(s)
GT EU Premium ruby red
Although its an old post I just wanted to share my thoughts.

I am german and grew up with the Autobahn. So no big deal. Many cars are capable to go beyond 200 km/h (124 mph). This does not mean that everybody is doing this every time. As gas is also not for free over here many people drive with moderate speed. People in company cars going fast more often as the company is paying the fuel. If a part of the Autobahn does not have a speed limit the traffic quite often limits speed.

A couple of weeks ago on a sunday morning (7 pm) I saw the chance to go to top speed.

As you can see from the dash cam picture I reached 259 km/h (160,9 mph). This speed in 6th gear is limited by aerodynamic drag.

And yes, this is absolutely legal.

Best regards,
GĂĽnther
20160612_070304_EF.jpg

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
As I remember it the speed limits only applied within City limits. In the open country it was go for what you know. The Golden rule on the Autobahn though was and I think still is: If you see headlights flash in your rearview, dive, dive, dive for the right lane!

GT_Bonn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guenther
Vehicle(s)
GT EU Premium ruby red
As I remember it the speed limits only applied within City limits. In the open country it was go for what you know.
No. Speed limits are also on country roads. For certain parts the speed limit is indicated if lower.

The Golden rule on the Autobahn though was and I think still is: If you see headlights flash in your rearview, dive, dive, dive for the right lane!
Again no. There is no reason to stay in the left lane. Stay on the rightmost lane unless you overtake with a substantial speed difference. If you see the headlights flashing in your rearview mirror you already did not follow this rule.

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
The fiance and I are going on a honeymoon to Europe this summer and I'm trying to work out driving the Autobahn just to experience it once. I understand it's not a "drive as fast as you want" free-for-all but I would like to drive it just once in my lifetime. Since we are going to be in Berlin for 5 days, it makes sense that this is the time to do it.

Does anyone have advice on who is good to rent a car through? And is the Autobahn just a highway? Get on/get off? Anything special to note? When trying to look it up it's not treated like a tourist attaction (which it isn't), but this makes it hard to find the specifics.

Thanks!
You're going to have a blast, but the Autobahn can be intimidating for first time drivers.

There's a lot of good advice here such as knowing your road signs which there are plenty of even on the highway. The biggest thing to remember is that the "official" speed limit is 130 km/h however this limit is rarely observed by locals and not enforced like limits in the states unless you're in a Baustelle (construction zone) or the speed limit decreases to allow for oncoming traffic merging (they know how to merge here!!!). Left lane is passing only so move over into the right lane if there are several car lengths between you and the next vehicle until the gap closes.

The rule of thumb is pay attention to traffic behavior and ALWAYS keep your eyes open forward and in your mirrors. Going 220 Km/h is mighty fun but the minute you see brake lights up front, do not hesitate to brake! Traffic jams sneak up on you quick and you need to be ready to act fast and press your brakes hard due to the high speeds.

Another thing that many people don't mention is the lack of "second chance exits" like in the United States. If you miss an exit, be prepared to travel a couple kilometers down the road until you hit the next Ausfahrt. Most of the time you'll have to get back on the highway in the opposite direction and go BACK to where you original wanted to get out on. That's how it is here in the west and southern parts anyway, not sure what it's like in the East.

Have fun, be aware of your ability, and enjoy the great German beer! Berlin is an awesome city!

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I lived in Wiesbaden all of 2009. Rural areas have no speed limit. I had a rented BMW M3 (company HR thought I was an executive for 3-months, haha) and I got that puppy going 150 mph for 20 miles straight and I still got passed... so... yeah. But it's possible there because when they redo a road, they REDO THE ROAD, not just resurface it. Their driver's licenses cost like $5K to acquire and you have to have your car inspected often. No bumpers falling off cars in Germany... not like Georgia.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Thanks!
I rented from Hertz. It is just a road like any other, typically narrower than US interstates with much less shoulder, just people drive fast on it , especially if they're in a fast car. I wouldn't call it an experience myself but whatever ;-)

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
I lived in Wiesbaden all of 2009. Rural areas have no speed limit. I had a rented BMW M3 (company HR thought I was an executive for 3-months, haha) and I got that puppy going 150 mph for 20 miles straight and I still got passed... so... yeah. But it's possible there because when they redo a road, they REDO THE ROAD, not just resurface it. Their driver's licenses cost like $5K to acquire and you have to have your car inspected often. No bumpers falling off cars in Germany... not like Georgia.
The legal speed limit if not posted in a rural area is 100 km/h although I have been passed on certain streets even going 110 when traffic allows.

Please refer to this Wikipedia page (English) for more information regarding speed limits in Germany: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Germany

Again, many people chose not to observe these rules which does not make them any less valid, I am only making sure correct information is represented here. :cheers:

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
Well... if I don't see a sign, I don't see a limit. :)
The limit then becomes your ability as a driver and the conditions of the road without being reckless. I've seen enough on these twisty rural roads to scare me off being completely stupid. Lost a good friend of mine too.

I'm all for having fun but there is a time and place, just be responsible!

Sei kein Idiot und alles wird gut! :headbang:
Sponsored