Sponsored

Anyone else with fast shifting clutch issues?

Venandakatra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350
Last weekend I took the car to the strip for the first time just to learn the car and enjoy it a bit. I didn't get any particularly good passes as one guy caused a 2 hour cleanup of oil down the track, hahaha.

Anyway, I am noticing an issue with the clutch to where it is slow to come back up under my foot. If I shift slow, it is fine (the two stage feel, but as expected); if I shift moderately the car still goes decently and the pedal feels light when I start to come back off the clutch; if I shift fast - the clutch leaves my foot staying near the floor and then pops back up and hits my foot. At the strip trying quick shifting just resulted in a fair amount of bucking from goofy clutch engagement.

I have read a bit about the clutch spring but it seems like that might be a bigger issue during the top half of the clutch engagement, not the bottom where the clutch seems to not come back up very rapidly at all during high rpm shifting or even if I am sitting still and hitting the clutch like I was trying to shift fast.

Has anyone else ran into this? Not that I am some super driver or anything, but I like to think I can shift fairly quick as I am used to a 4 cylinder low 9/high 8 car and I feel like this car right now can't even remotely keep up.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Sounds like the pressure plate is sticking IMO.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
+1 for the above. Something wrong for sure.

17SHLB350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I maybe having the same issues also. Maybe a 1/2 second delay or so before the pedal comes back up.

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
+1 Remove the clutch spring, that will speed up the pedal return significantly. It takes all of 30 seconds to do and can be put back easily if you don't like the linear feel.
I removed my clutch spring 1.5 years ago and it is perfect, IMHO. No high speed shifting issues.
I see that you are close to me, if you have time on Sunday morning, show up at the Arboretum near Calibre Coffee between 8:30 and 9:30am, there is a good group of people that meet with all sorts of great cars. We can compare notes.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I tracked the car, stock spring, no issues... I am using a Steeda spring now, again no issues, a bit better.
But I am not shifting THAT quick, no need to ... even on the track, I don't really race anyone, just the clock maybe, trying to have fun :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's the way the clutch is on the GT350. If you shift quickly the clutch pedal can't keep up with your foot when you lift your foot from the clutch. The Tremec transmission isn't the greatest for fast shifting, either. When I transitioned from my 2015 base GT to the GT350 I found I needed to slow down my shifting. Everything works great as long as you don't try to shift too quickly. The MT-82 is a better transmission for very fast, smooth shifts.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
While I haven't driven a standard S550 I disagree about not being able to fast shift the GT350.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
How much of this can be from Hydro Clutch versus a mechanical Clutch linkage.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
That's the way the clutch is on the GT350. If you shift quickly the clutch pedal can't keep up with your foot when you lift your foot from the clutch. The Tremec transmission isn't the greatest for fast shifting, either. When I transitioned from my 2015 base GT to the GT350 I found I needed to slow down my shifting. Everything works great as long as you don't try to shift too quickly. The MT-82 is a better transmission for very fast, smooth shifts.
The Tremec is FAR better at shifting fast, and LOVES to be shifted fast. It actually shifts smoother the faster you are with it.

The MT-82 has been known to not be able to keep up with the driver in regards to shifter speed. And the quick-shifting action of the new tremec unit has been mentioned in a number of reviews.

I had my brother in my car with me and was showing him just how happy the car is when shifted quickly, I literally donkey kick the clutch and hit the next gear, his comments were that it felt almost like a sequential gearbox in regards to the speed and kick it gave.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
While I haven't driven a standard S550 I disagree about not being able to fast shift the GT350.
I've driven both and strongly disagree, the tremec is far, far happier shifting fast. You literally cannot come close to the same shifting speed, the MT-82 just won't accept it.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I've driven both and strongly disagree, the tremec is far, far happier shifting fast. You literally cannot come close to the same shifting speed, the MT-82 just won't accept it.
I'm not doubting you, but i cannot shift this tremec as quickly as i could the MT-82. It did have the MGW and BG fluids, so maybe that is the difference. I also noticed, while watching numerous YouTube vids and whatnot, that others seem to shift this tranny slower too.

I really want the MGW to make a fair comparison, but so far these are my impressions

chops44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fathouse 1250R....1992 Gt 39k mile garage queen
Not bragging, but I consider myself a fast shifter and my pedal stuck to the floor twice last weekend. Hit a gear, car revs like I missed a gear, double check engagement thinking wth, then bam the clutch pedal hits my foot. Needless to say, I've got a steeda spring ordered and am hoping for the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Venandakatra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350
Not bragging, but I consider myself a fast shifter and my pedal stuck to the floor twice last weekend. Hit a gear, car revs like I missed a gear, double check engagement thinking wth, then bam the clutch pedal hits my foot. Needless to say, I've got a steeda spring ordered and am hoping for the best.
That is exactly my experience. What I'll probably do is order the steeda spring and then just take the spring out when at the strip to get fastest shifts possible.

I don't particularly mind the two stage feel if it wasn't costing me half to a full second of non-acceleration at the strip. Granted, I bought this car primarily for road course, but drag is fun sometimes.
Sponsored