Sponsored

Anyone else use their Mustang as a Touring vehicle?

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Good goals OP. Hope you’re able to get on it, older you get harder it becomes to get away from family responsibilities n kids to do road trips in a pony. Take a ton of pics and make a scrap boom per trip :)

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
I have taken 2000+ mile trips in mine, and I think it is a fabulous road car. Very comfortable and steady as a rock cruising the highways. I say go for it!!!

51NNED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think mine will be a Tourer also. I already have a track car so not fussed on tracking it. Having said that, I'd probably do it once or twice just for the experience, but its not going to be its main duty.

SideShowB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K4342
Vehicle Showcase
i think in the s550 the Mustang lives up to its GT monkier as a true Grand Tourer. it is composed and comfortable for long distance driving at high speeds, which is why i got mine. i have fun in in the twisties, but dont go to the track and wanted a comfortable performance car. Being a Mustang guy, the car fit the bill perfectly. i drove a EB convertible premium aross British Columbia, and it was great, even the vert was quite and smooth at 110mph no problem. Bought a Bullitt because, ya know, more is always better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Helltime

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
85 Mustang GT, 2019 Audi A4, 2023 MCS, 2004 BMW Z4
Good goals OP. Hope you’re able to get on it, older you get harder it becomes to get away from family responsibilities n kids to do road trips in a pony. Take a ton of pics and make a scrap boom per trip :)
Hopefully I am mostly past those days. My daughter is almost 10, surprisingly she fits in the back behind my wife's seat. I get 4 weeks vacation a year now so 1 week a year for solo trips, a week for family trips and 2 for whatever else I feel like doing.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I live in the middle of nowhere TX, so I need to travel at least 125 miles for the nearest twisty road, and quite a bit more than that for nicer ones, so my 'fun' car has to be a cruiser too. And that's why I've had to sell so many of them. The Mustang is not that bad, and actually better than most. However, the road/tire noise is still horrible on the awful asphalt prevalent in the desert southwest. And so are the awful amount of creaks and rattles, even though I've fixed who knows how many already... and they keep popping up. Summer tires don't help with the noise, but the Michelin PS4Ss are the best IMO (still quite noisy though).

I was thinking of trading it, but I'd have to put at least 25 grand, and lose the V8 and manual, so I'm thinking of maybe trying to quiet it down. Problem is there are no reputable shops for that in this crappy town. And I'm not sure if I'm up to the task, starting with I have no idea what to do about it. Wind noise is the hardest to fix, but fortunately, it's not bad at all on my Bullitt, and much better than the 2021 Tesla I recently bought for my wife (both with frameless doors). My issue is you need to basically gut the entire interior for a proper road insulation job, and no way I'd remove the dash, so it'd have to be without that step to completely insulate the firewall.
You must have a Friday car, lol. Mine was a Friday too though, and I'm rattle free for the moment. Haven't noticed much tire or wind noise either. I've taken it to the grand canyon and a few other fun tourist spots and parks and had a blast every time.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
When I was deciding to buy my Mustang. I rented a Eco Vert in Vegas and did Vegas - LA - SF as a 1 week road trip. Was an amazing experience and this finally convince me to buy my GT. Thing is that the Eco is much more quieter for road trips. The GT with the sound tube is a lot louder in the cockpit which mean that after some time it get annoying also the PP suspension is stiffer harsher so if I'm buying a Touring car it would have been an Ecoboost Premium with the Base suspension and probably upgrading brakes only. This car will have better fuel economy, much more comfortable ride and with smaller wheels and tires will be much easier to maintain over long distances. With that in mind I love traveling with my GT as well just try to limit it to less hours a day.

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
All of my mustangs have always been for touring with the wife first, everything else is second.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't own a car that I was not able/willing to drive anywhere I wanted to go. Whether it was my 1965 fastback or my 2016GT350R, I drove them almost daily. I have no interest in having a "weekend only" or "garage queen" vehicle. I learned long, long ago that there are much better investment vehicles than automobiles.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Anyone else buy a mustang with the intent of traveling?
Every car we've had since I graduated university (1970) has been expected to be able to fill the long distance travel function. And they all have, even after various levels of modification ranging from minimal to extensive.

Even an S197 Mustang can be a pretty good trip car for two. An S550 should be really nice.

Norm

OP
OP
Helltime

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
85 Mustang GT, 2019 Audi A4, 2023 MCS, 2004 BMW Z4
I wouldn't own a car that I was not able/willing to drive anywhere I wanted to go. Whether it was my 1965 fastback or my 2016GT350R, I drove them almost daily. I have no interest in having a "weekend only" or "garage queen" vehicle. I learned long, long ago that there are much better investment vehicles than automobiles.
I am the same way. I used to catch heat on Corvette pages because I would drive them rain or shine (even got snowed on once with the C5 lol) My C4 and then C5 were my spring-fall daily drivers.

Even an S197 Mustang can be a pretty good trip car for two. An S550 should be really nice.

Norm
It's funny you say that, when I made the comment I want to buy a new mustang and travel the lower 48 I was 17 and on a road trip with my parents (separate cars as I was out for 2 weeks they could only do 1) standing in the parking lot of Devil's tower and I saw a brand new (at the time that was a S197) Mustang GT with east coast plates on it thinking how awesome their trip must be to road trip in that beauty. At that point I turned to my parents and told them some day that would be me, I would be in my new mustang traveling the country.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Hopefully I am mostly past those days. My daughter is almost 10, surprisingly she fits in the back behind my wife's seat. I get 4 weeks vacation a year now so 1 week a year for solo trips, a week for family trips and 2 for whatever else I feel like doing.
good deal. Throw the mileage on! Mine just sit 🥴

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Ever since I was 15 and had motorcycles to now 29 and plenty of cars and bikes, I've always been spontaneous to jump up and travel to a great road. I've been to most of the states but I have to have a reason to be going somewhere. Good views are a nice bonus but it sounds like hell to hit 48 states just for the views. But if that's what you're into, I hope you have a hell of a lot of fun. I would sign up for some track days across the nation and hit those.

I'd like to start in the North East and hit Watkins Glen, LimeRock, VIR, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, Homestead, COTA, Road America, Indianapolis, Sonoma, Laguna, Willow Springs, and then head home.

I've done most of those tracks but not like that.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
We've done a couple of 2500 mile trips our 17 GT. For me, driving a Mustang on a long trip just seems to make the miles melt away. Plenty of room for our stuff and what we might buy on the way. Plus, having a car that handles good makes finding interesting routes to where ever you are going a must.
Sponsored