Sponsored

Anyone do a Catted Downpipe and Res Delete w/ stock mufflers

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
Curious if anyone has installed a high flow catted down pipe with stock exhaust and how it sounded. Or maybe a high flow downpipe with a resonator delete and stock mufflers. rather put the money into the downpipe that will give performance gains instead of a catback that just makes noise!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would be awesome! it would be about an hour and a half labor so $195 plus whichever pipe you would like to use.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The resonator isn't going to help sound in any good way. The major, and somewhat only, benefit to dropping the res is to lose weight.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I have cpe's catted downpipe with stock exhaust. Very little sound difference, maybe a deeper tone on cold start ups. Other than that it sounds stock. BUT....the performance is night and day(with cpe intercooler and downpipe)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have cpe's catted downpipe with stock exhaust. Very little sound difference, maybe a deeper tone on cold start ups. Other than that it sounds stock. BUT....the performance is night and day(with cpe intercooler and downpipe)
i got ya, im sure if you added a resonator delete pipe it would wake up the sound a bit. for the same price of a catback i think a catted downpipe and resonator delete are a better option

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
i got ya, im sure if you added a resonator delete pipe it would wake up the sound a bit. for the same price of a catback i think a catted downpipe and resonator delete are a better option
Would be curious to hear that set up...

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
You keep mentioning the resonator delete. As [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] mentioned and others have said, the resonator delete isn't going to improve sound. The best you'll get out of that is weight reduction. If you're after improving the sound, you'll have to get that from the mufflers. The DP will make a difference, less on the catted, more on the OR. You might want to hear one with ONLY a resonator delete before committing to that.

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't see ford adding them there for just weight, they reduce drone and overall volume. Im sure when you have a stock DP and stock mufflers removing them makes almost no difference but when opening up the dp and removing the mid pipe im sure it makes a bit of an increase over stock. Otherwise why would ford put them on if they aren't doing anything but adding weight.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
lol I never said the resonator doesn't do anything. The resonator has a different function from mufflers but they work together. The resonator grooms the exhaust for the mufflers by shaping it (if you want to call it that). Depending on what Ford engineered it to do, it could get rid of unwanted frequencies that might cause drone or vibrations/buzzing. Then the mufflers can also change the sound but also attenuate the level of sound. If I wanted to get rid of the stock resonator, I would be looking at an aftermarket one like maybe from Vibrant.

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Internally the resonator is an open box with a single pipe coming in one end and then on the other side having the two 2.25" exhaust pipes. There's no baffling of any sort inside. It's literally an open metal box.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yes but it still has a function. I'm not an engineer but they probably tune it by things like the length, width, height and shape of the container plus the way the pipes go in and out.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What's odd, then, considering what resonators do, is that it makes no audible difference when deleted from an otherwise stock exhaust car.
Sponsored