Airbag Replacement

Thepanda76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Panda
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
I got into an accident and only Knee airbag deployed.
What would need to be done (beside replacing the airbag) to bring the SRS back to normal or the car is totaled because SRS is bricked? Thx
Sponsored

Last edited:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
You know which forum you asked, right? Most of the people here will total the car even if it only requires a good wash...

Anyway, first of all you need a good assessment of the car. Probably she's still good but before proceeding go to a reputable shop and have them take the measurements and see if the car is still straight. Chances are it will.

Then you have to remove all the broken pieces, cut and weld the new ones, reassemble and repaint.

It's all down to how much you care for the car.

OP
OP
Thepanda76

Thepanda76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Panda
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
You know which forum you asked, right? Most of the people here will total the car even if it only requires a good wash...

Anyway, first of all you need a good assessment of the car. Probably she's still good but before proceeding go to a reputable shop and have them take the measurements and see if the car is still straight. Chances are it will.

Then you have to remove all the broken pieces, cut and weld the new ones, reassemble and repaint.

It's all down to how much you care for the car.
I meant the SRS, sorry for the confusion. I can take care of the outside structure and cosmetic, but would be pointless if SRS can’t be revert.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
You can do it. I never did but I know it's feasible.
You have to replace the blown airbag and any seatbelt tensioner that activated.

After that there is the option to clear the crash data both into IDS or FDRS, depending on model year of your car.
If you don't have appropriate software and/hardware then go to a shop and ask it reset. It can be reset five times after that (the fifth time) you have to replace the SRS module.

I don't think you can do it by Forscan, but I'm not sure on this one.

OP
OP
Thepanda76

Thepanda76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Panda
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
You can do it. I never did but I know it's feasible.
You have to replace the blown airbag and any seatbelt tensioner that activated.

After that there is the option to clear the crash data both into IDS or FDRS, depending on model year of your car.
If you don't have appropriate software and/hardware then go to a shop and ask it reset. It can be reset five times after that (the fifth time) you have to replace the SRS module.

I don't think you can do it by Forscan, but I'm not sure on this one.
It seems like clearing DTC in Forscan somehow cleared the crash data flags. Also, my driver seatbelt is locked up too. Beside resetting Airbags Control Module, I will also be replacing the seatbelt due to used pretensioner. Would the new seatbelt need to be program/marry to the car? or is it just a simply physical swap with the new seatbelt? Thanks!

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I forget the company's name, possibly "Seatbelt Restore" but not sure. Anyway they will rebuild your seatbelts and restore the SRS module. I think the seatbelts are$2-3 hundred and the SRS about the same. But that's from a poor memory. I'm sure you can find options with Google.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
It seems like clearing DTC in Forscan somehow cleared the crash data flags. Also, my driver seatbelt is locked up too. Beside resetting Airbags Control Module, I will also be replacing the seatbelt due to used pretensioner. Would the new seatbelt need to be program/marry to the car? or is it just a simply physical swap with the new seatbelt? Thanks!
Good to hear!
The seat tensioner as well the airbags are just like resistors to the SRS module, that's the one firing the charge. People that do tensioners/airbag deletes just replace them with resistors to trick the module.
I don't think there is any programming to be done and I'm pretty sure there is no "airbag/tensioner learning procedure" in the FDRS/IDS softwares.

I'll just swap it, but don't you have a DTC for the blown tensioner? Can you look at the PID that monitor it's resistance and compare it to the other on the other side (that's possibly not blown?). I'm curious.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
OP
OP
Thepanda76

Thepanda76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Panda
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
Good to hear!
The seat tensioner as well the airbags are just like resistors to the SRS module, that's the one firing the charge. People that do tensioners/airbag deletes just replace them with resistors to trick the module.
I don't think there is any programming to be done and I'm pretty sure there is no "airbag/tensioner learning procedure" in the FDRS/IDS softwares.

I'll just swap it, but don't you have a DTC for the blown tensioner? Can you look at the PID that monitor it's resistance and compare it to the other on the other side (that's possibly not blown?). I'm curious.
I have DTC for the blown tensioner and air bag but the crash flag data went away after resetting DTCS. I'm unsure how to use PID as I do not see any graph on it.

Anyway, I now replaced the tensioner and airbag, reset DTCs and air bag lights are gone. Didn't even have to send the Airbag Control Module out for reset; weird. Hope this help folks in the future.