Sponsored

Airaid Modular Intake Tube Sound

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
First of all great forum here! I really appreciate all the information and advice that is posted here and this forum helped convince me to turn in my leased 2014 Mustang V6 PP and Purchase a new 2015 Mustang GT. The only mods I had on my 2014 lease were the diablo in-tune and airaid MIT / Afe drop in (gambled a little bit on the lease adding a tune but no harm no foul)

Given my experience with my previous mustang I purchased and installed the Airaid MIT along with the Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter. Which I felt like added a little throttle response and made the exhaust tone a little deeper at idle. However under heavy acceleration I really notice the intake noise is a very muffled tone inside the cabin (almost like distorted bass from a speaker) and honestly I'm not the biggest fan.

I still have the sound tube attached but I'm wondering if removing that will make much of a difference as far as the intake noise with the MIT. I'm hesitant to flat out remove the MIT because along with my lethal H-pipe, that I recently installed, makes for a really good exhaust tone (Plus any additional HP/Torque it may be adding)

I didn't mind the sound tube with the stock intake so my options are either yank out the sound tube and leave the MIT or just put the stock intake back on.

Thoughts? Those with MIT's have you deleted your sound tube?

Thanks!
Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Given my experience with my previous mustang I purchased and installed the Airaid MIT along with the Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter. Which I felt like added a little throttle response and made the exhaust tone a little deeper at idle. However under heavy acceleration I really notice the intake noise is a very muffled tone inside the cabin (almost like distorted bass from a speaker) and honestly I'm not the biggest fan.

I still have the sound tube attached but I'm wondering if removing that will make much of a difference as far as the intake noise with the MIT. I'm hesitant to flat out remove the MIT because along with my lethal H-pipe, that I recently installed, makes for a really good exhaust tone (Plus any additional HP/Torque it may be adding)

I didn't mind the sound tube with the stock intake so my options are either yank out the sound tube and leave the MIT or just put the stock intake back on.

Thoughts? Those with MIT's have you deleted your sound tube?
I did not notice any significant changes with interior sound after I removed my sound tube. Probably because of my exhaust set up which would pretty much drown out whatever was being piped into the cab. One thing you'll notice is that your ECM will need to adjust to the new intake with some hesitation mostly at idle. It is after all, larger in diameter; honestly should not take that long for everything to run normal again. The air movement is also louder than with the stock intake plenum.

Get rid of that sound tube, you won't need it. Not to mention, less clutter & easier to access the dipstick. The AIRAID kit will come with both plugs when deleting the sound tube.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Thanks a lot for the reply.

I'll be ripping that Sound Tube out this weekend and hopefully that solves my problem.

Did you notice a difference in your exhaust tone after installing the MIT? It might just be placebo but I swear the exhaust tone got a little deeper on start ups, and is even more noticeable since I put the H-Pipe resonator delete on.

GTPONY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Oxford white 50 years
I did not notice any significant changes with interior sound after I removed my sound tube. Probably because of my exhaust set up which would pretty much drown out whatever was being piped into the cab. One thing you'll notice is that your ECM will need to adjust to the new intake with some hesitation mostly at idle. It is after all, larger in diameter; honestly should not take that long for everything to run normal again. The air movement is also louder than with the stock intake plenum.

Get rid of that sound tube, you won't need it. Not to mention, less clutter & easier to access the dipstick. The AIRAID kit will come with both plugs when deleting the sound tube.
So you just bought the airaid tube but kept the stock intake box?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
is the modular intake tube the same size as the cold air kit tube? I guess what I'm asking is: is this basically the cold air kit without the filter and box assembly?

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Hey Thanks a lot for the reply.

I'll be ripping that Sound Tube out this weekend and hopefully that solves my problem.

Did you notice a difference in your exhaust tone after installing the MIT? It might just be placebo but I swear the exhaust tone got a little deeper on start ups, and is even more noticeable since I put the H-Pipe resonator delete on.
Hard to tell with the ROUSH ABs...unfortunately i never got to find out if the exhaust was indeed deeper using the H-Pipe & running stock mufflers. I purchased the MIT after installing my current exhaust set up. My exhaust combo is loud running stock or with the AIRAID intake.

So you just bought the airaid tube but kept the stock intake box?
Yes sir...I have plans to get boosted later on and it made sense not to fork over more money for a CAI when I'll end up ditching it when the time comes. Besides, the stock air box does a pretty good job & well designed by Ford.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I first bought my new GT I originally planned on waiting a little bit before I used my Diablo Intune as I was concerned about the factory warranty. I was also concerned with higher IAT's associated with the open air filter design as I live in Arizona. After countless CAI threads I came to the conclusion that the intake will only benefit you IF you tune your car.

I figured going with the Airaid Modular Intake Tube and drop in air filter would be the best of both words as it keeps the stock intake box and doesn't require a tune.

Well that whole idea lasted 500 miles or so and I decided to add the Diablo 91 performance tune. In hindsight I wish I would have purchased the JLT but if you aren't tuning your car I think it's worth looking into the MIT / drop in filter combination as I believe it adds a few HP and improves throttle response in addition to making your exhaust sound a little deeper.

My only complaint about the MIT was I believe the factory sound tube is amplifying the louder intake sound (due to the removed sound baffles that are located on the stock intake.)

I'm taking rvlyssup's advice and deleting that sound tube this weekend.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
is the modular intake tube the same size as the cold air kit tube? I guess what I'm asking is: is this basically the cold air kit without the filter and box assembly?
It probably is, wouldn't make much sense if the full CAI had a smaller diameter tube than just the MIT or even the factory intake tube.

When I first bought my new GT I originally planned on waiting a little bit before I used my Diablo Intune as I was concerned about the factory warranty. I was also concerned with higher IAT's associated with the open air filter design as I live in Arizona. After countless CAI threads I came to the conclusion that the intake will only benefit you IF you tune your car.

I figured going with the Airaid Modular Intake Tube and drop in air filter would be the best of both words as it keeps the stock intake box and doesn't require a tune.

Well that whole idea lasted 500 miles or so and I decided to add the Diablo 91 performance tune. In hindsight I wish I would have purchased the JLT but if you aren't tuning your car I think it's worth looking into the MIT / drop in filter combination as I believe it adds a few HP and improves throttle response in addition to making your exhaust sound a little deeper.

My only complaint about the MIT was I believe the factory sound tube is amplifying the louder intake sound (due to the removed sound baffles that are located on the stock intake.)

I'm taking rvlyssup's advice and deleting that sound tube this weekend.
I would think that there is more airflow, due to the larger diameter tube, which would still equate somewhat to a deeper tone exhaust even if the MAF was still calibrated to stock parameters.

I believe that deleting the ST would be a sound choice. (no pun intended) However, I suggest you just detach the tube and plug the stock intake to see what you discover. I too was dabbling with the idea of a Lund tune but decided I'm very happy with my current set up. Boosting our GT is what I really want to do eventually.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe it is the same circumference as the cold air kit tube but just shorter in length as the MAF sensor needs to be installed on the cold air kit as opposed to staying within the factory box as with the Modular Intake Tube.

Hope that makes sense.

GTPONY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hard to tell with the ROUSH ABs...unfortunately i never got to find out if the exhaust was indeed deeper using the H-Pipe & running stock mufflers. I purchased the MIT after installing my current exhaust set up. My exhaust combo is loud running stock or with the AIRAID intake.

Yes sir...I have plans to get boosted later on and it made sense not to fork over more money for a CAI when I'll end up ditching it when the time comes. Besides, the stock air box does a pretty good job & well designed by Ford.
Did you notice any performance gains or a better throttle responce after just installing the tube? Basically I'm not planing on doing a tune yet and just wanted to know if it's worth just buying the tube and keeping the stock air box?

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Did you notice any performance gains or a better throttle responce after just installing the tube? Basically I'm not planing on doing a tune yet and just wanted to know if it's worth just buying the tube and keeping the stock air box?
If there are any real performance gains, it probably be pretty minuscule. I'm also running a K&N panel filter which a lot of people have stated robs HP. I've seen some of the test on the previous generation Coyote but the loss is pretty minimal using a stock airbox set up. As for throttle response, definitely much better than stock.

GTPONY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there are any real performance gains, it probably be pretty minuscule. I'm also running a K&N panel filter which a lot of people have stated robs HP. I've seen some of the test on the previous generation Coyote but the loss is pretty minimal using a stock airbox set up. As for throttle response, definitely much better than stock.
Awesome! Thanks for the help. Better throttle responce is to me worth it then. Thanks again.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Pony -

If you go the MIT route I'd recommend purchasing a drop in panel filter as well. From what I've read and experienced it also increases throttle response along with the MIT.

I went with the Afe Pro Dry S, looks like rvlyssup went with K&N, I hear AEM is also pretty good. They all are supposed to flow better than the stock filter and plus they are reusable so if you own your car for a while the purchase should pay for its self eventually.

Super easy installs as well.

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
i yanked the sound tube off when i put my mit on. with k&n filter the mit made within 2 hp of the jlt and the jlt lost 3lbs ft. tork.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It probably is, wouldn't make much sense if the full CAI had a smaller diameter tube than just the MIT or even the factory intake tube.

I would think that there is more airflow, due to the larger diameter tube, which would still equate somewhat to a deeper tone exhaust even if the MAF was still calibrated to stock parameters.

I believe that deleting the ST would be a sound choice. (no pun intended) However, I suggest you just detach the tube and plug the stock intake to see what you discover. I too was dabbling with the idea of a Lund tune but decided I'm very happy with my current set up. Boosting our GT is what I really want to do eventually.
Well I took your advice and pulled out the sound tube. Much better now on the cabin sound. I can actually hear the Hpipe now instead over overly loud intake.
image.jpg
Sponsored