The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi all,

I have a 2019 manual GT and am a bit confused by what I read regarding the necessity or not of catch cans.

I have spoken to a couple of performance work shops in Brisbane who say they are not necessary if you stay N/A, however a lot of people online seem to think they are a necessity. IF they were so important then wouldn't Ford have installed them as part of the car?

Someone in another forum also wrote:

Your Mustang GT has the 3rd generation Coyote 5.0L V8 which in addition to getting direct injection also retains the port injection, which actually sprays (and therefore cleans) the back of the intake valves so it’s not susceptible to carbon buildup there. Since you still have the port injection, therefore you don’t need a catch can.

I have also read that the passenger side collects the most oil (passenger side of American cars). Is this the same for our right hand drive cars (installing on the passenger side), or do people install them on the drivers side?

Interested in what people have to say.

Cheers
Sponsored

tuf50L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order pending

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
Can't really speak for the later year s550's, but I have one on my 2016 and it has collected probably around 250mm oil total for 13000kms. If it wasn't in the can, it would be in the intake manifold.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Can't really speak for the later year s550's, but I have one on my 2016 and it has collected probably around 250mm oil total for 13000kms. If it wasn't in the can, it would be in the intake manifold.
Wouldn't it have just been burned off though?

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
I recently took the throttle body off one of our falcons and the inlet manifold was coated in oil internally. The map sensor was just a pile of oil..after a clean, the idle and fuel economy improved by a considerable margin. The mustang doesn't have its maf sensor in the same area, but vapour in the intake will reduce the octane value of the fuel, with the knock sensor pulling some timing to compensate. Can't say how much the average engine is affected, but the sheer volume of oil in the falcon was an eye opener.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
2018 can collects oil. Burned or not, doesn't hurt to have it. Your RHD car has same engine, catch can would go on drivers side of your car (passenger on ours) - same side of the engine.

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Bob....13,000 km... you clearly need to drive your car more 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
I can't argue with that Michael, it hasn't been started in over three months. Too busy with work and winter has been so cold and miserable...battery is on charge at the moment..

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Lots of threads on this, Search is your best tool.
Sponsored