Sponsored

ADM on a GT350 is Not Illegal

Jackie Chiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW TDI SW
The specter of an ADM on the GT 350 permeates many threads in this forum.

Although I think it is a stupid business practice to charge an ADM, I have not found any US law (statute or regulation) that makes charging an ADM illegal. A bit of a caveat here: this kind of consumer law is not my area of expertise by any means.

To those who claim that it is illegal, I challenge you to provide US statute or regulation that supports your theory. Also, individual states may have their own regulations regarding automobile sales, so if you have specific knowledge of those statutes it might be helpful to some members here.

By the way, the title of this thread is merely my opinion, albeit not based on even an hour worth of legal research, and I would welcome the opportunity to be proven wrong.

J.C.
Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Anyone who thinks it's illegal needs a lesson in economics in a capitalist society. Retailers can ask any price they want for any product they want. If I can sell you an orange from my back yard for $100, that's my right as a seller, and your right as a buyer.

The only exceptions to this for certain goods during a State of Emergency when price gouging laws/rules come into play.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Simultaneously, more people need to shop around and stop being an impulse buyer. You will be able to find the GT350 at MSRP easily. Under MSRP will take some legwork, but it's worth it and 100% possible.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
I only stated .... Over billing is illegal pertaining to businesses that offer services. And that there is a parallel to how ADM's are essentially over billing, given that we know what the MSRP is. And that MSRP is designed to cover the expense of manufacture and provide a profit at final sale, therefore profit is factored in already.

You want proof that ADM's are illegal. Simply put lawmakers have to make it so. But there is enough precedence across other areas of business where an ADM is very much similar to over billing practices.

Basically you are looking for an argument when there has been an opinion offered. There is nothing to argue...only ideals to ponder over that are more about common sense.

If you are a lawyer you can make the effort to push for laws to make the practice illegal. And clearly by the actions and the admission of the FCA.... The act is typical of unscrupulous business practitioners or individuals. Which is what their policies are now trying to circumvent to the benefit of their customer base.

Every time the topic of ADMs is brought up... It does not need to be taken to a level where an admin feels it's best to lock a thread or delete valuable informative posts. It is however a pattern where a certain few who believe in ADMs push it that way instead of simply in a very peaceful and intelligent manner defending their very antiquated philosophies.

Reactions: Tom

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who thinks it's illegal needs a lesson in economics in a capitalist society. Retailers can ask any price they want for any product they want. If I can sell you an orange from my back yard for $100, that's my right as a seller, and your right as a buyer.

The only exceptions to this for certain goods during a State of Emergency when price gouging laws/rules come into play.
Capitalism is dynamic. It is an ideal that is changing and evolving to the times they pertain to. Economics is relevant to those dynamics. Therefore when times call for a change so do both public perspectives and capitalism. The Economy is an end product of the times.

Lead, follow or get out of the way applies.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jackie Chiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW TDI SW
I only stated .... Over billing is illegal pertaining to businesses that offer services. And that there is a parallel to how ADM's are essentially over billing, given that we know what the MSRP is. And that MSRP is designed to cover the expense of manufacture and provide a profit at final sale, therefore profit is factored in already.

You want proof that ADM's are illegal. Simply put lawmakers have to make it so. But there is enough precedence across other areas of business where an ADM is very much similar to over billing practices.

Basically you are looking for an argument when there has been an opinion offered. There is nothing to argue...only ideals to ponder over that are more about common sense.

If you are a lawyer you can make the effort to push for laws to make the practice illegal. And clearly by the actions and the admission of the FCA.... The act is typical of unscrupulous business practitioners or individuals. Which is what their policies are now trying to circumvent to the benefit of their customer base.

Every time the topic of ADMs is brought up... It does not need to be taken to a level where an admin feels it's best to lock a thread or delete valuable informative posts. It is however a pattern where a certain few who believe in ADMs push it that way instead of simply in a very peaceful and intelligent manner defending their very antiquated philosophies.
You claimed ADMs were illegal. I asked you for proof of that. You don't have any.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they were illegal. But I'd hate to see some young kid who doesn't know any better take what you said at face value. Presuming, of course, that you are incorrect.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
No... I claimed over billing is illegal and ADM's are similar to over billing.

You can take things out of context if you want....but, if you've followed the debate even prior to much has been deleted. I offered parallels and similarities that set precedence.

You are looking for proof of a presented concept...

Basically taking it somewhere it doesn't need to go.... But your opinion. Is welcome.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
MSRP stands for; Manufactures SUGGESTED Retail Price, the key would is "suggested" guys it only a suggestion , and that's it. The is not going to be a law, and never will be. I hate them, especially if I had not found a dealer willing to work. The only way to get back at them is this; if you know of a dealer that charges ADM, simple when you are ready to buy a new Ford go in let them know your looking and then buy somewhere else and then go back and show them you were a real buyer and that because they charged an ADM you bought else where. But even this will probable not work, because sadly most dealers do not care about the few, or one (like our late and great Spock) lastly, we are forgetful and a forgivable people.

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 Tech Package
It is also not illegal for me to hold out my hand and ask you for 10,000 dollars please? It is not illegal to do so but people wouldnt like it. ADMs feast on people's impulsive nature.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The specter of an ADM on the GT 350 permeates many threads in this forum.

Although I think it is a stupid business practice to charge an ADM, I have not found any US law (statute or regulation) that makes charging an ADM illegal. A bit of a caveat here: this kind of consumer law is not my area of expertise by any means.

To those who claim that it is illegal, I challenge you to provide US statute or regulation that supports your theory. Also, individual states may have their own regulations regarding automobile sales, so if you have specific knowledge of those statutes it might be helpful to some members here.

By the way, the title of this thread is merely my opinion, albeit not based on even an hour worth of legal research, and I would welcome the opportunity to be proven wrong.

J.C.

Did you read all the laws..? Incredible claim there^

Additionally, We know it is not illegal. But some of the ways Dealer may use the ADM, might have been in question.

ADM
Please clearly define (in legalese) "markup".

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Really? We have to listen to the soapbox expert on this topic once again? :doh:

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150

Actually you did say it was illegal...below is your quote from the closed thread.

"That's your opinion...The example is a reflection of how ADM's operate. Therefore entirely relevant....and According to the FCC... Illegal."
Sponsored

Last edited: