Sponsored

Adding a spoiler to otherwise stock (aero) 15-17 pp1

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I've been eyeing the M-16600-FP spoiler (swing) for some time. My 17 PP1 has no aero modifications other than maybe a bit of rake from lowering springs.
I'm wondering if adding the spoiler before other front aero modifications will upset the aero balance too much?
I'd like a splitter but I'd have trouble getting in my driveway with one.
Down the road I may cut the hood to add the smaller hood vents in place of the factory vents, but I'm hesitant to hack up the hood and I'm not sure they will flow enough to be meaningful (really the extra cooling would be the main goal).
Most of the local tracks here don't have crazy high speeds (60-90 mph) but a bit of rear stability would be welcome.
I've searched around as best I could, but there isn't much discussion on the topic of adding a spoiler to a car that did not come with one.

The instructions for M-16600-FP have a warning about checking aero balance before using the wicker bill.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That spoiler will give you some additional understeer at higher speed, but its not a crazy amount of downforce. If you canā€™t do a splitter, its probably your best bet.

Do you have any other method to adjust oversteer/understeer balance? Adjustable swaybars? Adjustable shocks?

Usually Iā€™d start with rebound adjustable shocks and adjustable swaybars before I try to add aero to a car.

Anyway, my guess is youā€™ll be fine and the extra understeer at speed will likely feel good. Iā€™d say go for it, but like the manual says, dont get married to the idea of using the gurney flap if the spoiler alone ends up causing too much understeer for your driving style.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if something like this would help balance out the front a bit and not scrape too much? Iā€™m a bit of a noob with some of the aero/downforce stuff. Any thoughts @NightmareMoon ?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-front-splitter-kit-street-performance-pack-gt-2015-2017/p/FS68/
Eh, probably worse than the factory PP1 undertray which has some engineering behind it and at least has some underbody ducting, especially if you have a PP1, those factory ducts also feed the brake cooling deflectors, so covering those would really be counter-productive.

I wish there was a cheap, proven, and streetable front setup, but the best streetable setups seem to be on the factory engineereed undertrays for the halo mustangs, GT350R, GT500, etc.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Eh, probably worse than the factory PP1 undertray which has some engineering behind it and at least has some underbody ducting, especially if you have a PP1, those factory ducts also feed the brake cooling deflectors, so covering those would really be counter-productive.

I wish there was a cheap, proven, and streetable front setup, but the best streetable setups seem to be on the factory engineereed undertrays for the halo mustangs, GT350R, GT500, etc.
I know they donā€™t fit the 15-17 cars, but would something like the PP2 or Mach1 HP chin spoiler be enough to balance out the gurney on the GT500 Swing? I know Iā€™ve asked in another thread before, just figured Iā€™d pose here for OP. I would think the M1 HP chin spoiler does enough considering itā€™s part of the HP package. ZL1 Add-Ons makes a few chin spoilers too, not sure if they really do anything or are mainly cosmetic .

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I know they donā€™t fit the 15-17 cars, but would something like the PP2 or Mach1 HP chin spoiler be enough to balance out the gurney on the GT500 Swing? I know Iā€™ve asked in another thread before, just figured Iā€™d pose here for OP. I would think the M1 HP chin spoiler does enough considering itā€™s part of the HP package. ZL1 Add-Ons makes a few chin spoilers too, not sure if they really do anything or are mainly cosmetic .

Dont buy anything else if youā€™re just guessing. Put the swing wing on and then test it. If your testing tells you that you need more then go get more. You might be perfectly happy with the swing wing.

Theres a lot more ā€˜carā€™ on the M1HP than just the spoiler and splitter which might be involved. My own experience was that I was very very happy with just a big (10ā€ tall) spoiler in most situations. I went a lot farther later but thats cause Iā€™ve got a problem knowing when to stop.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yall be tiptoeing into aero like its going to help. Aero is marginal

Dont buy anything else if youā€™re just guessing. Put the swing wing on and then test it. If your testing tells you that you need more then go get more. You might be perfectly happy with the swing wing.

Theres a lot more ā€˜carā€™ on the M1HP than just the spoiler and splitter which might be involved. My own experience was that I was very very happy with just a big (10ā€ tall) spoiler in most situations. I went a lot farther later but thats cause Iā€™ve got a problem knowing when to stop.
Oh for sure. I decided to leave mine be for now. Getting to the track this year is going to be tough for me with all my kidsā€™ stuff. Hoping once or twice to at least get a feel for the swing and stock chin spoiler as is. I posed the question more for OP since he was asking and Iā€™ve already asked you all previously for the same swing/gurney combo.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
PP2 has a front splitter and almost nothing at the back. M1HP has both. I feel that a PP1 would benefit from both as well, and gurney flap woult be a balancing tool, but that is just my gut feeling not based on any real data. Perhaps, ford tried to play it safe with pp2.

I have added a full set of racelouvers at the front of my pp1, and I feel that I certainly need something at the back for better balance. The code brown moments do happen sometimes at high speed braking. For the reference, I have FP magneride track package sudpension, my front sway bar is set at stiff and rear is set at soft. Car has some amount of rake with new springs and supercharger weight at the front.

OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Thanks everyone.
I wish there were numbers out there for a stock 15-17 gt pp1 to know where I'd be starting from.
The swing isn't producing tremendous DF so maybe the impact isn't going to make or break the car aerodynamically speaking... But it would be nice to know (maybe the effects are negligible and it's mostly for looks). I believe the cars have a front aero bias right now and I thought I saw some testing that the 350r wing basically makes enough df to counteract the lift (and that car has a factory diffuser), but that's a different car from an Aero standpoint.
I agree the steeda is a non starter due to blocking the brake cooling which this car needs every bit of.

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I added a spoiler and noticed no difference, although Iā€™m sure that would change with something aggressive, I wouldnā€™t add the wicker bill though without changing something at the front.

IMG_8240.jpeg

IMG_6028.jpeg

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I added a spoiler and noticed no difference, although Iā€™m sure that would change with something aggressive, I wouldnā€™t add the wicker bill though without changing something at the front.

IMG_8240.jpeg

IMG_6028.jpeg
PP1 spoiler is purely decorative, it is neutral from downforce perspective. The discussion is about swing that comes on GT500 and Mach1.

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
PP1 spoiler is purely decorative, it is neutral from downforce perspective. The discussion is about swing that comes on GT500 and Mach1.
Exactly why I mentioned something more aggressive or adding a wicker bill to mine.

OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Specifically I'm thinking about the swing but for historical reference the discussion could apply to other "OEM" spoilers producing minimal DF like the gt350r spoiler etc.

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
Unless you have a true aero car I am not sure what the problem is. Does the front end float at speed? If not, put a spoiler on, add a wicker bill Gurney Flap, do whatever you want until the front gets too loose.
Sponsored