Sponsored

AC compressor/clutch seized

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Driving down the highway yesterday I noticed a burnt metallic smell, thought it was a semi but got off and seemed to be coming from my car. When I started it again I had no AC.

After further investigation theres burnt up metal all under the compressor (clutch material I'm assuming). The inner wheel does not turn when the AC is turned on. I can lightly spin it with the two fingers that I can get on it when reaching down there.

I've been searching and reading for hours but new to AC repairs. My biggest question is how do I know if this has caused an issue to the evaporator?

If its just the compressor I'm going to do it myself. But I also need a tech manual. What ones is best and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance

20210825_120022.jpg
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Typically when a compressor kicks the bucket, they do us the service of sending metal throughout the system in the seconds before seizure. This will mean a new condenser & accumulator, and a thorough flushing of the entire system. Hopefully it didn't stuff your evaporator full of compressor guts. I've read many instances where the evaporator was successfully cleaned in place.

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Typically when a compressor kicks the bucket, they do us the service of sending metal throughout the system in the seconds before seizure. This will mean a new condenser & accumulator, and a thorough flushing of the entire system. Hopefully it didn't stuff your evaporator full of compressor guts. I've read many instances where the evaporator was successfully cleaned in place.
Wonderful. Is there anyway of knowing? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and take this to Ford and get bent over.

Deleted member 35644

Wonderful. Is there anyway of knowing? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and take this to Ford and get bent over.
With a lack of warranty, Ford is the last place I'd take it for an A/C diagnosis & repair. I'd find a highly rated independent, focusing on shops that specialize in this, if they exist around you, and go from there. I guarantee Ford is going to insist on evaporator replacement, where an indy shop is more likely to try to save it.

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
With a lack of warranty, Ford is the last place I'd take it for an A/C diagnosis & repair. I'd find a highly rated independent, focusing on shops that specialize in this, if they exist around you, and go from there. I guarantee Ford is going to insist on evaporator replacement, where an indy shop is more likely to try to save it.
Yeah but if it does need an evaporator there is no way I want an independent guy tearing the entire dash out. I want a Ford tech whos done it a thousand times.

But either way, you're saying there's really no way to know what went bad without tearing into it?

There's not a change that the clutch just locked up and smoked itself?

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Yeah but if it does need an evaporator there is no way I want an independent guy tearing the entire dash out. I want a Ford tech whos done it a thousand times.

But either way, you're saying there's really no way to know what went bad without tearing into it?

There's not a change that the clutch just locked up and smoked itself?
Whoever looks at it will determine the cause when they take the clutch off. I've never seen it, but I suppose it's possible that a malfunction / piece of debris smoked it, but a burned clutch is normally caused by a compressor that refuses to spin. All I can offer from this distance is a guess.

Just be cautious about assuming that the dealership tech assigned to your car has ever taken a dash out. I've read a lot of stories here and on BITOG lately where a troop of monkeys with plastic bats could've done a better job than the Ford tech did. They're not all seasoned master technicians that actually give a shit. A lot of them are challenged by whether to scratch their watch or wind their butt.

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
What does it mean that I can spin the inner spindle by with the two fingers I can get on it? Seems like thst would indicate the compressor isn't seized but I dont see why the clutch would abliterate itself...
Sponsored