Sponsored

A10 cold shift

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
I was wondering if this normal as the dealership said.

My problem (worry) is that every morning my car won't shift past 5th or sometimes 6th when its cold.
I drive on a road that's 30mph , but usually go 35 or so.
When the car is hot it goes into 8th gear on the same stretch , but cold usually not past 5th.
I can make it go to 8th with the paddles. Also I noticed on the dash that the oil PSI goes to 100% when trying to shift cold,
The engine revs high and if I let off the gas it feels like the car bucks a little.
Yes it does shift once I get on the main road that's 50 MPH, but the oil psi hits 100% until it finally gets to 10th gear.

When hot it may go to 75 but never 100%, and it seems to shift smoothly like it should.
Dealer service manager says he talked to his trans guy and it's normal.
Sponsored

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1
I was wondering if this normal as the dealership said.

My problem (worry) is that every morning my car won't shift past 5th or sometimes 6th when its cold.
I drive on a road that's 30mph , but usually go 35 or so.
When the car is hot it goes into 8th gear on the same stretch , but cold usually not past 5th.
I can make it go to 8th with the paddles. Also I noticed on the dash that the oil PSI goes to 100% when trying to shift cold,
The engine revs high and if I let off the gas it feels like the car bucks a little.
Yes it does shift once I get on the main road that's 50 MPH, but the oil psi hits 100% until it finally gets to 10th gear.

When hot it may go to 75 but never 100%, and it seems to shift smoothly like it should.
Dealer service manager says he talked to his trans guy and it's normal.
Don’t know if this would be much help buddy but I took my 2019 GT a10 in for very clunky shifts specifically going into 5th sometimes slipping 1st. I was made aware that the transmission was 2 quarts low on fluid!! Unfortunately the service advisor told me this is somewhat common among the new 10 speed mustangs so I’d say have them check the fluid just to be on the safe side. Good luck and wish you and your pony the best! Keep the thread updated on your findings.

OP
OP
DetroitMustang

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi yeah I had heard about the low fluid, I actually was at the dealer for an oil change and had them check the level. The bay is visible from the waiting room. I saw them check it and they said it was good.
That's when I talked to the service manager with my concern. He even looked to see if there was any TSBs or software updates and said none.
Thanks for the reply.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The biggest downside I have found to the A10 is it takes a good 20-25 minutes to warm up to operating oil temps. In colder sub 45 degree air longer.

OP
OP
DetroitMustang

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest downside I have found to the A10 is it takes a good 20-25 minutes to warm up to operating oil temps. In colder sub 45 degree air longer.
Yeah I noticed that too.
I have an extended warranty, so I'm covered if it gets worse.
I was really just wondering if anyone else noticed the delayed shift.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah I noticed that too.
I have an extended warranty, so I'm covered if it gets worse.
I was really just wondering if anyone else noticed the delayed shift.
Mine has been tuned at 150 miles with just over 10k today. Drive always skips gears as it is programmed to do. I have never experienced a delayed shift even when cold. It just will not drag mode shift until trans is warm enough.

OP
OP
DetroitMustang

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has been tuned at 150 miles with just over 10k today. Drive always skips gears as it is programmed to do. I have never experienced a delayed shift even when cold. It just will not drag mode shift until trans is warm enough.
The thing I noticed was I could make it go into 8th with the paddles.
Usually the paddles only let's the driver go to the highest gear based on the speed of the car.
I thought if I could get to 8th with the paddles, it should go there automatically.
It does when hot.

Note this is in normal mode.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The thing I noticed was I could make it go into 8th with the paddles.
Usually the paddles only let's the driver go to the highest gear based on the speed of the car.
I thought if I could get to 8th with the paddles, it should go there automatically.
It does when hot.

Note this is in normal mode.
What speed?

Sponsored