Sponsored

555 G2's vs PS4S's

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
In the need of some tires.. 285/30/20 and 305/30/20..
Narrowed down to Nitto G2's and Michelin PS4S's..
Driven only on dry days.. If I'm driving in the wet, it's because it was not in the forecast..
No track days, just spirited driving..

I like Michelin, but are they worth $400 more for the set?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
At the track - maybe.
On the street - no.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
I did not like my 555s at all, had them on my 16 tune only car and they didn't hook well. for the same price point id get the m/t street comp or spend a little more and get the nt05. I recently picked up a set of the ps4s lightly used from a buddy and they are decent to say the least, but not worth the extra $$ imho

OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Thanks for the feedback so far..

Let me add.. I swapped out the factory Performance Pack tires for Michelin A/S 3+'s and have been happy with how they hold vs the stock tire...

Any down side of the Michelin's except for the cost difference?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'd expect the 2018 MP4S to both grip better AND outlast the older design of the Nitto.

If you don't drive in the wet, don't do track days, and only do some spirited driving, its hard to say how much tire you need.
Thanks for the feedback so far..

Let me add.. I swapped out the factory Performance Pack tires for Michelin A/S 3+'s and have been happy with how they hold vs the stock tire...

Any down side of the Michelin's except for the cost difference?
No downsides, they’re a great tire. There are quieter passenger tires, and there are stickier performance tires than the MP4S, but none as well rounded.

That said the MP4S is a summer tire and not recommended if you live in an area where the temps are often below freezing.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
i have the G2's in a 305 width. i can say i can easily spin them over the 275 PP1 mp4s. easy easy. I got such a deal on the wheels and tires i couldnt pass up. but if i was not getting the 4s next time id look at the Indy500 since a lot tend to rave about them in over all grip/wear/price point. I could spin the 4s in 1st but they seemed to just chirp 2nd and third. these G2's spin 1,2 and really hard in 3rd, chirp 4th. But they suppose to last 40k miles.. soooooo once these go or im tired of them, ill most likely go back to the 4s as i hear they have a decent tread life also around 25-30k... not beat on of course lol

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You're not even talking about two tires in the same league. I'd go Firehawk Indy 500 before NT555 G2, and if you want to save money over the Michelin, the Conti ExtremeContact Sport is the closest competitor.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go Firehawk Indy 500 before NT555 G2
Any particular reason why on this? I know the Indy 500 gets great reviews for the value, but I haven't been able to see much in terms of comparisons between the two. Priced them out for set of sizes I was looking at and the G2 actually came out ~$80 cheaper. Since that isn't that big of a difference in the grand scheme, I'd probably want to go with a mix of performance and durability. So if it lasts 20k vs 30k, I'd take the one that lasted 30k with 90% of the performance.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Any particular reason why on this? I know the Indy 500 gets great reviews for the value, but I haven't been able to see much in terms of comparisons between the two. Priced them out for set of sizes I was looking at and the G2 actually came out ~$80 cheaper. Since that isn't that big of a difference in the grand scheme, I'd probably want to go with a mix of performance and durability. So if it lasts 20k vs 30k, I'd take the one that lasted 30k with 90% of the performance.
I've not owned a set of the NT555 G2s, but I've read absolutely nothing remarkable about them (not saying bad, just nothing to write home about). The one experiential data point I have is a friend who has them on his S197 and uses them in autocross in addition to DD duty. They seem to be lesser in every area, albeit not by huge degrees. The Firehawk are not as fast as a PSS/PS4S, but they do have a lot of very desirable traits in terms of being a overall great street tire, possibly one of the best (balance between grip, rain performance, noise, ride, longevity).

OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I went with the PS4S's.. Firehawk didn't have a 305/30 anyhow. They will get only a few thousand miles per year since they'll be my "warm weather" wheels/tires anyhow. So they should last long enough to not hurt the pocketbook over the next few years. :)

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Conti Sports are not in that size? You'll spend less, get 98% of the grip.

Nitto G2s are, for me, a street tire and quite frankly too expensive for their performance. I liked my Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires better than any Nitto G2 car I've driven.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I'm very happy with my n555 g2's. I have yet to break them lose on a corner...mind you its not been tracked but I pulled a 70+ mpg circle offramp without even a sound. Car just stuck like it was on glue. Also in the rain car takes standing water much better then my old all seasons and is very predictable. Only time the tires get squirrely is when the temps drop below 60...then they slide all over the place.

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'd expect the 2018 MP4S to both grip better AND outlast the older design of the Nitto.

If you don't drive in the wet, don't do track days, and only do some spirited driving, its hard to say how much tire you need.

No downsides, they’re a great tire. There are quieter passenger tires, and there are stickier performance tires than the MP4S, but none as well rounded.

That said the MP4S is a summer tire and not recommended if you live in an area where the temps are often below freezing.
Which are some of the quieter tires? I'm looking for low noise and comfort. I don't track my car. Any opinion on the Continental E/C?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Which are some of the quieter tires? I'm looking for low noise and comfort. I don't track my car. Any opinion on the Continental E/C?
I’d defer to Tire Rack”s various tire test comparisons for noise and comfort.
Sponsored