500 miles/quart consumption

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
OK, with proper break-in miles, and I'm talking to those who use it mainly for tracking, high temps, high speed, are these Voodoo mills still relatively fragile compared to the Coyote? These oil consumption issues was why I shied away from a used GT-350. Power and sounds are awesome, but more expensive past warranty since hand-built motors. Thoughts?
Cannot answer based on experience but I know many have had zero issues while an extremely small percentage have mad more than one engine replaced. Doesnā€™t seem to matter whether they were tracked or not.
Personally, I bought new before the prices went bonkers, actually got a 5K discount off MSRP.
Sponsored

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Replacement was done at 4k miles back in 2017 - brand new from Ford.
Did this show up on the Carfax? I was very careful looking at reports when shopping for a GT350 looking for oil and filter change frequencies, but still hard to tell most times on past history.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
OK, with proper break-in miles, and I'm talking to those who use it mainly for tracking, high temps, high speed, are these Voodoo mills still relatively fragile compared to the Coyote? These oil consumption issues was why I shied away from a used GT-350. Power and sounds are awesome, but more expensive past warranty since hand-built motors. Thoughts?
This is obviously colloquial and has some selection bias, but every single GT350 owner I've spoken to at track events so far has gone through at least one engine. Its about 7 owners if I recall correctly, maybe 8. To be fair not all of these engines were replaced due to oil consumption. One guy had his first engine replaced due to valve train noise, and then the replacement engine developed an unresolvable oil leak so they replaced it again.

That being said, plenty of people on this forum track their cars and I don't think they've all had engine replacements.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
This is obviously colloquial and has some selection bias, but every single GT350 owner I've spoken to at track events so far has gone through at least one engine. Its about 7 owners if I recall correctly, maybe 8. To be fair not all of these engines were replaced due to oil consumption. One guy had his first engine replaced due to valve train noise, and then the replacement engine developed an unresolvable oil leak so they replaced it again.

That being said, plenty of people on this forum track their cars and I don't think they've all had engine replacements.
I have tracked mine hard. No issues so far. Talking to engineers the engine likes to live in the high RPM ranges.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Replacement was done at 4k miles back in 2017 - brand new from Ford.
So this was a Gen 1 motor. Irrelevant to the current conversation but also not an indicator that Gen 2 motors have the same issues.

Sponsored

JC5188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Kona Blue
Did this show up on the Carfax? I was very careful looking at reports when shopping for a GT350 looking for oil and filter change frequencies, but still hard to tell most times on past history.
Iā€™ve seen others say they also checked oil change frequency when researching these cars. As an anecdote, and sample of one, I drive mine VERY spiritedly during the summer and it is my daily driver. As soon as the oil begins to really brown, I take it in for an oil change. Usually a bit over 2k miles. Iā€™m about to roll 26k, and the oil is in the same spot on the dipstick every time I check, which is weekly. So I can say with certainty that it is burning/consuming virtually no oil at 2k mile intervals. If one were to check the history on mine, it would only be indicative of frequent oil changes, not excessive consumption.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Iā€™ve seen others say they also checked oil change frequency when researching these cars. As an anecdote, and sample of one, I drive mine VERY spiritedly during the summer and it is my daily driver. As soon as the oil begins to really brown, I take it in for an oil change. Usually a bit over 2k miles. Iā€™m about to roll 26k, and the oil is in the same spot on the dipstick every time I check, which is weekly. So I can say with certainty that it is burning/consuming virtually no oil at 2k mile intervals. If one were to check the history on mine, it would only be indicative of frequent oil changes, not excessive consumption.
2000 miles oil change is a waste. What is your percentage on the oil change reminder?
The computer take in consideration a bunch of factors, including rpmā€™s, engine temperature, etc, in calculating it
I only track my car and usually monitor come on at between 1500 to 2000 miles

JC5188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Kona Blue
2000 miles oil change is a waste. What is your percentage on the oil change reminder?
The computer take in consideration a bunch of factors, including rpmā€™s, engine temperature, etc, in calculating it
I only track my car and usually monitor come on at between 1500 to 2000 miles
Prob a waste, no doubt. But I run in a hot area in summer, and like I said I drive the car hard and as a daily. If nothing else it makes me feel better. I didnā€™t exactly buy it to save money anywayšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I'd trade it or sell it to someone who isn't a friend. Get rid of it and move on.

I haven't used a quart of oil in <8000 miles (I've had two oil changes).

I'd find a nice one that had get care pre-delivery and with the first owner. You may have to pay more, but it's a long term property.
Sponsored