400 pound weight loss??

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
F=MA

Lighter cars are inherently safer.

More mass means less acceleration given equal force, so unless you are talking about occupants being hit by a lighter car being safer you have it backwards. You would be safer in a heavier car in an impact.

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Just looked up Fusion hybrid spec and the weight is 3600lbs. The Mustang is a little smaller and the Fusion has to carry the extra battery and electric motor so I think 3500lbs for a V8 is doable. The Mustang is a RWD so it has to carry the drive shaft and rear diff so that would be a little bit of weight penalty.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
More mass means less acceleration given equal force, so unless you are talking about occupants being hit by a lighter car being safer you have it backwards. You would be safer in a heavier car in an impact.
Crush panels are what saves lives and a lighter car has less energy for the crumple zones to absorb.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Regarding the 2015 F-150

"...an estimated 700 pounds (318 kilograms) out of the four-door, crew-cab F-150...Aluminum will represent about 20 percent of the pickup’s weight, up from about 5 percent to 6 percent today."

“Everything you can see when you look at the truck, with the exception of the front and rear bumper, is aluminum.”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ng-shot-seen-within-reach-as-ford-cuts-weight

Sponsored

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
Unfortunately this ^^^^ has very little to do with the Mustang. Not a lot of aluminum was used on the S550 body so whatever weight it loses, if any, will have to come from punching holes in the chassis. Nothing I have seen of the car both interior and exterior makes me think it lost any weight.

For those that keep saying "at least 200 pounds" across all trims I'd like to hear your theory about where the 200 pounds comes from.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Unfortunately this ^^^^ has very little to do with the Mustang. Not a lot of aluminum was used on the S550 body so whatever weight it loses, if any, will have to come from punching holes in the chassis. Nothing I have seen of the car both interior and exterior makes me think it lost any weight.

For those that keep saying "at least 200 pounds" across all trims I'd like to hear your theory about where the 200 pounds comes from.
Most estimates have been diligently prepared with the same scientific method applied rigorously in you assessment. Some humour

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost

crysalis_01