Sponsored

3% oil life already?

kesando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Camry
So I had my first oil Change 11 months ago and put about 1200 miles on the car since. With the car currently sitting at about 2300 miles, is it possible the oil maintenance light wasn't reset? If it matters, I have mostly tri-state highway miles though spirited at times. I've added about a half quart of oil recently and emptied the passenger-side oil catch can which was about half full. Car runs awesome. I plan on storing her for the NY winter soon and would rather wait to change the oil in the spring since time is also a factor.

Any opinions?... Besides driver her more.. I know, I know.
Sponsored

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Anything’s possible, but 3% sounds about right for 11 months ago. The oil reminder is miles or 1 yr.... whichever comes first. By the looks it’s probably a calc based on both.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
check your owners manual. If you go beyond 12 months, you could cause yourself a warranty problem.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
So I had my first oil Change 11 months ago and put about 1200 miles on the car since. With the car currently sitting at about 2300 miles, is it possible the oil maintenance light wasn't reset? If it matters, I have mostly tri-state highway miles though spirited at times. I've added about a half quart of oil recently and emptied the passenger-side oil catch can which was about half full. Car runs awesome. I plan on storing her for the NY winter soon and would rather wait to change the oil in the spring since time is also a factor.

Any opinions?... Besides driver her more.. I know, I know.
You should change your oil before storing it. Otherwise, it'll be sitting with contaminants, acids, and moisture in it during storage, which won't do your engine internals any favors.

Also, oil should be changed based on mileage, OR time, which is likely why you're at 3% with only 1,200 miles on it.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Most likely the oil monitor was not reset. This engine with 10 quarts of synthetic oil should have scheduled oil changes based more on your mileage and how it is driven than time. For severe driving the GT350 supplement suggests an interval of one year or 5,000 to 7,000 miles between oil changes. Although, if you are planning to change the oil in the spring, you would be better to change it now. The built up moisture and acids in the oil won't do the engine any good sitting in the block over the winter.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Change it, it's either $80 to $200 to change it. You bought a Shelby.

BBR-NICK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt,2000 f350
Your oil life goes either by mileage or time sitting i would recommend changing it for the little it cost and reset the reminder so you know for sure.

OP
OP

kesando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Camry
Change it, it's either $80 to $200 to change it. You bought a Shelby.
And I’m glad I did

Ok thanks for the quick responses everyone. Now to find a TRUSTWORTHY dealer in the New York area to change the oil ASAP. I’ve read the horror stories and would prefer a place that has experience with this car. Any suggestions?

BTW. I would do it myself but don’t really have the place to do it.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually, we're all glad you did :like:

The oil life monitor has two very simple rules - if the engine has had enough use (around 5 -10k miles depending on how you drive) to indicate a change, it indicates a change. If 12 months go by, it indicates a change, regardless of how much use it gets.

If your monitor wasn't reset when it was last changed, you would have had warning lights long ago, so you can be confident that it was reset. The only reason it's saying to change it now is that the oil has timed out, regardless of how little use it's had.

If you're under warranty, change it. If not, then decide if you want to or not - personally, I'd change it anyway, but that's just me. After sitting for a year and only being used 1200 miles, it's going to have some low-level contamination, so let's pretend that Ford's engineers know what they're doing and follow the instructions.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
It goes by months too. You could put your car in a vacuum, and never put one mile on the oil after a change and in 12 months the car will say it is time for an oil change.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kesando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Camry
Thanks again everyone. So does anyone have any experience with any dealers in the NY/Long Island area? So far I’m leaning towards Hempstead.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Went to hempstead once to buy a Saab. All salesman wanted to do was sell me XR4TI. Meanwhile a guy next to me was sitting with salesman w/23K in cash,salesman told him car went up 500$ yesterday and he couldn't honor the price he was quoted. After seeing that I made a bline outta there. I use Hassett in Wantagh.