Sponsored

285 Tread Width Tires (anyone else have radial-like pull?)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
But, everyone I talked to thought that this was too small of a difference in tire to affect it that much, just like you're saying. I'm glad
I ran snow tires on 8 inch wide rims on my GT350 and never had a problem like this. Just as another data point.
Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Cool, thanks for that specificity. Randy Marion Ford Service was excellent, and even said they'd install a 1-piece driveshaft and warrant the work, which I want to have done sometime soon-ish. I'll ask them to do this then, because they're an hour and a half away, but to the points of people I quoted below, I think you might be on to something. Which direction push/pull and which direction did the wheel move? When I go back I want to be able to give them as specific a thing to look for as I can so they'll be more likely to find it if that's what it is. I really appreciate this.

I want to agree here. See my response below.

So, in comparison to the Cup 2s, the PS All Season 4's, while excellent tires, feel very floaty by themselves. You can still tell the car handles great on its own, but the tires feel vague, floaty, and even though they're firmly gripping, they don't feel like they're gripping that much. The steering wheel feels like it gained ten pounds after switching the tires in all driving modes. So I was willing to chalk it up to, "okay, maybe the EPAS and IRS are calibrated so precisely that we've reduced the frictive forces on the roll-y parts enough that the system is compensating in a way that causes drift now. I did have some moments on the All Season 4's where the EPAS felt like it would let go a little bit all of a sudden, and the steering wheel would lighten up and turn back in the opposite way all of a sudden. It's not doing that with the Cup 2s, and I feel like I can tell a lot more about how this EPAS actually behaves with these tires. It does track straight now as often as it can just due to tramlining, and it's not a "leave your hand off the wheel for a long time" kind of car nor do I expect it to be. But, everyone I talked to thought that this was too small of a difference in tire to affect it that much, just like you're saying. I'm glad
I know we're not talking about the same exact car or tire sizes, but I run 285 square in a summer tire and switch to the AS4s for the colder weather. Vague, floaty, and less grip are not terms I'd use to describe how my car feels with either set of tires. Wish I could help you figure this out, but I can't come up with anything logical to explain what's going on, except like others, I suspect something other than the tires.

OP
OP
traumkommode

traumkommode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Push/pull in and out hard at different spots around the tire. The goal is to find out if any bearings or bushings are shot so you need to try a few different directions and spots because we dont know where to focus right now.
I decided to call and ask about whether or not they had checked this while the car was there, and they said yes they performed this kind of test you're describing and did not find any play.

I know we're not talking about the same exact car or tire sizes, but I run 285 square in a summer tire and switch to the AS4s for the colder weather. Vague, floaty, and less grip are not terms I'd use to describe how my car feels with either set of tires. Wish I could help you figure this out, but I can't come up with anything logical to explain what's going on, except like others, I suspect something other than the tires.
I went back to edit the post I had made to qualify, "vague-er, floaty-er, and less grippy" than I'd expected from that tire, having run it on a PP2 5.0 GT, a 2015 Z51, and a Focus ST and felt what the AS4 felt like on all those cars. It could actually have been that there was a weird batch of that tire that Discount tire got ahold of and that's what I dealt with. I dunno. I've had the car back for just about a week and as each day goes by, the more I enjoy driving the car as it was meant to perform, the less I'm concerned about it until next fall/winter come around. I just realized we're probably operating with different sized wheels, and one of the things I'd thought was maybe the pull was coming from the tires being stretched a little too much for the liking of the IRS.
Sponsored