Sponsored

235 Tires Concerns

Snide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0
I am well aware, the post was about the stock 235's. Being able to cut mid 1.7 60' with a stock suspension, stock 235 tires with a stick makes the tires not shit. :cheers:
:amen:
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am well aware, the post was about the stock 235's. Being able to cut mid 1.7 60' with a stock suspension, stock 235 tires with a stick makes the tires not shit. :cheers:
1.7 60 foots with 235 all seasons? Yeah ok :lol:

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Until the winter season arrives grab you some Pirelli summer tires. This its "cool to dis" the stock tires is bs. Im getting ready to begin my third year of ownership on mine at about 8,000 miles. This has been a damn good tire that has kept my Gt planted on curvy roadways at speeds that made me very nervous. Any one you out there trending the toss yours aside early on and still have them I'd gladly take them off your hands!

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
In theory, the width of the tire doesn't matter given the same tire pressure since the contact surface area doesn't change. In fact, it is possible that a skinnier tire may produce better traction than the wider tire since the contact patch would be longer in the longitudinal direction than on the wider tire. There is a car and driver article out there somewhere that verifies this.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In theory, the width of the tire doesn't matter given the same tire pressure since the contact surface area doesn't change. In fact, it is possible that a skinnier tire may produce better traction than the wider tire since the contact patch would be longer in the longitudinal direction than on the wider tire. There is a car and driver article out there somewhere that verifies this.
In theory, that's all true, but it in the case of this quite heavy and powerful car, the load applied to the contact patch of the 235 tires easily exceeds their capability and actually lowers the coefficient of friction between tire and road.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
1.7 60 foots with 235 all seasons? Yeah ok :lol:

Would it be harder to believe one of my other cars has done a 1.53 60' on a 6" wide reproduction polyglass tire? Best so far with the mustang is a 1.76 60' on the stock 235 pirelli. I have quite a few timeslips sub 11.50. This year it should have about 60-80 more hp, would like to get a 10 sec slip on the stock tires.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Pick up a set of PP wheels and tires. Plenty of people are selling them on the cheap

I've seen perfect sets sell for $800.

OP, I dont know where you are in NY but im on LI and im looking to sell my PP wheels and tires. No marks, tires have less than 3k on them. all complete with TMPS and lugs. Save what you have in case you need to drive in the winter snow. PM me and let me know if you are interested.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I just upgraded my 235 wide stock base GT tires to the performance pack tire/rims.

I noticed a difference right away. Once the Pzero summers are warmed up the car launches have little to no wheelspin. I did not use launch control. Just playing around launching in first gear from a stop.

They also look a lot better. Size wise. If the stock wheels came in 19x9.5 it'd look decent.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
In theory, the width of the tire doesn't matter given the same tire pressure since the contact surface area doesn't change.
Actual tread contact pressure with the ground varies so widely over the contact patch that estimating contact surface area from inflation pressure probably isn't worth the time spent running the numbers. You can't do a "weight divided by inflation pressure" calculation even for a tire with no tread at all running at zero camber and expect the answer to actually be meaningful.

An older picture, but tires are still basically constructed of rubber over a flexible carcass of cords and (usually) belts. The shaded areas are sections cut along the longitudinal-vertical and lateral-vertical planes to better show the contact pressure variations (ref. Samuel K. Clark, author of various SAE papers dealing with pneumatic tires). Different tire constructions/loads/inflations can easily generate much different 3-D plots.

picture.jpg

A longer narrower CP does benefit longitudinal acceleration, but that would have more to do with uniformity of contact pressures in the longitudinal direction than directly on the length itself.

Norm
Sponsored