2020 GT500 Front Brakes

Marin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve searched on here and other forums but I can’t find any info on the compatibility of the front brake setup on 2020+ GT500’s between other S550’s
There’s plenty of info surrounding the GT350 swap but there’s not much on the GT500

I’ve been thinking of doing the GT350 swap on my ‘16 GT PP but figured why not go all out on the front brakes

Does anyone have any info on this?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Marin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would the hubs be interchangeable?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
GT500 brakes require 20" wheels, if you're prepared for that, too.

I think they are so huge mainly because of the top speed capability of that car. Remember that the kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the speed!

Also, you might want to upgrade the rear brakes simply because of the aesthetic imbalance if you don't, and that also would be a real hassle.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
You would need GT500 knuckles, mag-ride hubs, both lower control arms from the GT500 and the tie rod ends. Then brake rotors and calipers. And wheels. You'll be adding a ton of weight to the wrong end of the car. You'd be better off buying 2024 Knuckles, hubs, rotors and brake calipers. Those atleast fit under a 19" wheel.

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
I swapped in gt350 calipers into my '21 gt using 15" rotors and brackets from lmr. They fit under the stock "19 black accent wheels no problem. Add steel lines and you wont need any better brakes than that.

OP
OP

Marin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You would need GT500 knuckles, mag-ride hubs, both lower control arms from the GT500 and the tie rod ends. Then brake rotors and calipers. And wheels. You'll be adding a ton of weight to the wrong end of the car. You'd be better off buying 2024 Knuckles, hubs, rotors and brake calipers. Those atleast fit under a 19" wheel.
I already have 20” wheels, so that’s not an issue, it’s more for aesthetics than performance admittedly even the PP brembos are more than adequate

I haven’t read anything about the ‘24 knuckles yet, care to share some more info?

OP
OP

Marin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GT500 brakes require 20" wheels, if you're prepared for that, too.

I think they are so huge mainly because of the top speed capability of that car. Remember that the kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the speed!

Also, you might want to upgrade the rear brakes simply because of the aesthetic imbalance if you don't, and that also would be a real hassle.
Agreed the rear was always going to get the GT350 setup

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I already have 20” wheels, so that’s not an issue, it’s more for aesthetics than performance admittedly even the PP brembos are more than adequate

I haven’t read anything about the ‘24 knuckles yet, care to share some more info?
The money you’d spend converting you could just buy a set of the brembos

https://www.americanmuscle.com/brem...VlzHUAR28bwfoEAQYAyABEgJznPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

and still be under the cost, with great looks and better performance!

OP
OP

Marin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I did consider those but I’m seeing if I can do this on a budget by using parts from a wrecked gt500/350 maybe new rotors and pads then rebuild & repaint the calipers

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I did consider those but I’m seeing if I can do this on a budget by using parts from a wrecked gt500/350 maybe new rotors and pads then rebuild & repaint the calipers
In my experience brakes are one thing I never try to do on a budget. I bet you could do it but there would always be that chance that the wrecked part fails. Then you're in a 500+ hp car barreling down a track at 100mph. Also there's a high likelihood you'll spend more rebuilding that just buying new. But good luck either way!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I bought a new set of 500 rotors back in October. They were a steal at $900. I looked at used, but was turned off by what I saw available.

Again, I wouldn't do it.

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
I did the entire swap to smaller race brakes on my 20 gt500 and even fit 15x10 beadlocks on it. You'll need basically the entire front suspension and knuckles/brakes. The rear is the same plus gt500 axles. I have them all sitting in my garage from my drag setup swap haha.
Sponsored