Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mule? Front Gills/Louvers

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2018 GT350
people are talking like it is reliable and going to be close to as described. would be an amazing car but out of my financial reach

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The same was said when it was leaked that Ford was working on a FPC engine for the Mustang. It's all hearsay till it goes into play.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Nothing is reliable info until official word comes out from FoMoCo.
Ding, ding, ding!

Spoken for truth, it's great that we all get worked up about tire sizes, hood bulges, vented fenders, 10 speed auto, FPC, CPC, Twin-Turbos, N/A 7 Liter, etc but until the Blue Oval releases an official press release it's just a bunch of gear-heads (to include me) gettin' all worked up!

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I was doubtful at first, but its not as far fetched as I initially thought. Its a reality, its very feasible to have ford make this engine and stuff it in a S550. Will be a bitch to find one if they do 1500 of them. If it comes to market at just under 100K, mark ups will be large unless ford does a lotto like they did the GT. This would have people hanging from fences outside dealers to get one.

Just speculating but WOW...would be a killer car.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Somebody has probably nailed it with 98%+ accuracy but we won't know who/what until Ford decides to tell us. I guess I'm more patient than most because the wait isn't bothering me in the slightest.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Somebody has probably nailed it with 98%+ accuracy but we won't know who/what until Ford decides to tell us. I guess I'm more patient than most because the wait isn't bothering me in the slightest.
Lol. Because everything under the sun from it's not happening to you-name-it powertrain has been said.

Except a Rotary. There, I said it. The new GT500 will be rotary powered.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Lol. Because everything under the sun from it's not happening to you-name-it powertrain has been said.

Haha! Watch it be something other than what was mentioned.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

If we subtract the ramblings of thePill we are really only left with a few theories.

I'm not a big speculation fan, but IMO the idea with the most traction is the 5.2 CPC with a blower, probably the 2.6 TVS. For those who think innovation requires turbos instead of a PD blower, there is still room for innovation. Ford could come up with new cooling strategies that no one has thought of yet allowing the blower to operate efficiently for extended periods. There could also be room to improve the parasitic drag losses from a belt driven blower, perhaps a clutched pulley setup like Benz/AMG had with the 32 and 55 series models.

There is of course the popular 5.0/5.2/4.8 TT idea that I'm sure tickles a lot of members. If this came to be expect the snails to be mounted down low and close to the block similar to the 3.5eb and pretty much every non hot-V engine put into production. This means hood bumps don't mean diddly like some people like to assume. Ford would have some serious work cut out for them keeping that cool, not just because turbo engine but also keeping the trans and diff cool as well. That is just a shit-ton of coolers which is of course still perfectly feasible but there will need to be compromise in terms of packaging.

Speaking of hot-V turbo setups, I kinda like the idea personally. I've worked for Mercedes Benz for 11 years and when the latest C63 came out I initially thought it was kind of stupid because it means cramming a ton of precisely made(expensive) components into a tiny and very hot area of the engine. As a tech this(I thought) would make my life hell and as a modder even more so. Given my experience and training it turns out to not be as bad as I imagined but for those who've maybe done a few oil changes and perhaps installed a catback, you're definitely going to want to pay someone to do the big jobs for you.

Given all that negative stuff I just said the hot-V design does free up a lot of room down low and in front of the engine which could be used to plumb the non-engine coolers more efficiently.

Then the 3.5 eb idea rolled around which I wouldn't rule out for some sort of performance model, just IMO there's no way that would be a top-dog. Ford broke through the V8-or-nothing stigma with the GT supercar but that was primarily because that was also a competitive racecar. Ford doesn't need a top-dog Mustang model to also be a circuit racer because that is what the GT350 was developed for(I don't mean exclusively the GT350 as a pro circuit car but rather N/A track car in several flavors). So the advantages of the 3.5eb being also good for small packaging(the biggest plus for the GT supercar) don't extend to the Mustang, again in my opinion.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
There's just one thing that bugs me about the 7 litre rumour: it just won't fit unless it's OHV.

It'll have a long stroke, (fancy making a square bore/stroke for a truck application). Perhaps a short-deck version of it (if it's a quadcam) will fit in the Mustang but then it won't be 7 litres will it. Perhaps Topnotch meant Boss 351.

Ok, moving on from that...

There's one thing I'm certain of, going off Ford's previous S.E. efforts; they don't take short cuts. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. The cryptic message given was 755hp. Who in their right mind doesn't think that's enough? Demon would have an extra 85hp but would still weigh about 150-200lbs more and can't bank worth a damn. A one hit wonder. Just don't race at the strip and you'll be right.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
There's just one thing that bugs me about the 7 litre rumour: it just won't fit unless it's OHV.

It'll have a long stroke, (fancy making a square bore/stroke for a truck application). Perhaps a short-deck version of it (if it's a quadcam) will fit in the Mustang but then it won't be 7 litres will it. Perhaps Topnotch meant Boss 351. .

I think a 7.0 n/a engine would fit much easier than a TT anything. Internal displacement doesn't increase external dimensions very much at all. Adding turbos and relevant hardware can easily add 50% or more to the external dimensions of an engine.

Having said that I think any big displacement engine wouldn't ever go into a production street Mustang but rather a Cobra Jet-like model to compete in a specific NHRA class. Right now there is the N/A 5.2 CJ and the Whipple-blown 5.0 SCJ.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
So if you're not increasing the deck height to go from 5 to 7 litres you're going to end up with a very oversquare, high rpm, 7-litre screamer. Sounds great, except the original rumour was that it was primarily being built as a truck engine. Maybe the truck's iteration will have a tall deck and 8 litres. Or, being a truck, there's enough space there for twin turbos. There you have it, folks, the 7-litre Ecoboost.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
So if you're not increasing the deck height to go from 5 to 7 litres you're going to end up with a very oversquare, high rpm, 7-litre screamer. Sounds great, except the original rumour was that it was primarily being built as a truck engine. Maybe the truck's iteration will have a tall deck and 8 litres. Or, being a truck, there's enough space there for twin turbos. There you have it, folks, the 7-litre Ecoboost.
Or maybe you have it backwards... maybe the engine was not being developed specifically for the F-series but happened to be a more universal (modular) engineering feat with a few different platforms in thought. Wouldn't be the first time...
Sponsored