2019 at 154miles knocking?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
It sounds more like a thudding, right? Easier to hear inside the cabin? Kinda seems like you can feel it when holding the shifter. I heard it in every video and I have the exact same sound. It's the very reason why I took it to the dealer the first time around but no one heard it. I ended up getting a longblock replacement and the new one makes the exact same sound from the first start. I'm pretty sure I was able to hear it with a stethoscope on the oil pan. The original engine, apparently, didn't have any noticeable low end issues (camshaft damahge). The other 2019 pp1 manual on the lot doesn't make the sound.

I'm trying to just ignore it right now, considering both the new and old engine make the sound. I'd say maybe it was exhaust related but I swear 5w30, once warm, has made it a little quieter.

Maybe it's timing related. Bumping up the octane has the pcm run a different timing, but then everyone would have it. Unless something is messed up on the computer side of things, and that caused the camshaft damage the first time through.... I should probably keep these thoughts to myself LOL. I also was involved in a thread where someone said this exact thudding is a result of the A/C stretchy belt on some cars. The thudding doesn't seem to change when I turn the. A/C on, though.

EDIT: I'm going to try this myself right now. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but it is curious that a couple of us have this and others don't.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thanks for the replies.
That knocking kind if sound comes up when the oil temp is at the middle. At lower temps the engine is super smooth thats why I got worried.
Hopefully nothing wrong with it.
I'd put some good brand 5W-30 in it. My 2015 didn't tick on Motorcraft 5W-20, but afer I put Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 full synthetic in it the engine sounded even a bit quieter.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Alright so the reset did nothing for the thud (surprise!) but the car does drive notably better. Also the rattle is gone. I didn't have it initially on my new engine, but it came back and I didn't pay it any mind. I went out to do the 10 mile relearn and it made the rattle for the first 5 miles. Sitting at a stop light I flipped on the A/C to see if it changed the thud (it didn't) but when I accelerated I didn't hear the rattle. I flipped it off, sat at another red light fully expecting to hear it and nothing! Stayed that way for the rest of the journey. I'll probably hear it again on my next trip, but if cycling the A/C on and off gets rid of it again then that brings us all the way back to the tensioner. It was drizzling, too, but if water is able to mask the rattle then that means it's external and of no concern.

Sorry to hijack OP. Thud/knock is probably nothing to worry about. Just another unpleasant sound we get to live with

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I'm an old fart and don't hear squat

Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
OMFG TAKE IT BACK NOW! I will never be able to sleep or have sex knowing you new car is making any weird noises no one can hear ,even though if it was it was covered by warranty....hell i'm really ready for china to take us over right now because we really cant do anything right . please post if your mattress creaks when you leave bed especially if its less than 10 years old because my life may end from that to,o and I can make u-tube video and make big $$$

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ticks and rattles can cause psychological damage. :explode: It would to me - LoL.

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
It sounds more like a thudding, right? Easier to hear inside the cabin? Kinda seems like you can feel it when holding the shifter.
Exactly!

I decided to drive the car without listening. If I dont get any engine check light or blown engine, I am not planning to go even near the dealer, after the experience with my 18 ticking.
Thanks for the inputs guys.

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP 10SPD GT (Osiris)
I honestly don't hear anything abnormal in these videos. I feel like you're being paranoid but I can certainly understand as mine is getting a new shortblock as we speak

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Exactly!

I decided to drive the car without listening. If I dont get any engine check light or blown engine, I am not planning to go even near the dealer, after the experience with my 18 ticking.
Thanks for the inputs guys.
Yeah it's probably nothing. Like I said I got a longblock replacement (originally went in for this sound) and the new one makes the exact same sound from the first crank. Some digging (from the s197 cars, some threads seem identical to ours now, none of these problems are new) suggests that it's related to the A/C stretch belt, and a tensioner would solve it, but it supposedly doesn't cause any durability issues. If you don't mind getting a new belt then chopping off the old one should, in theory, eliminate the thud. Then once the belt is on it will return. Also, as you have noticed, no one notices it. I went through the biggest headache my first time around at the dealer. The only thing that confuses me is why don't all of them make the sound? Oh well.

I honestly don't hear anything abnormal in these videos. I feel like you're being paranoid but I can certainly understand as mine is getting a new shortblock as we speak
OP is not paranoid, there's definitely a sound there that isn't exhibited by other cars. It's hard to notice but it's definitely there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it's probably nothing. Like I said I got a longblock replacement (originally went in for this sound) and the new one makes the exact same sound from the first crank. Some digging (from the s197 cars, some threads seem identical to ours now, none of these problems are new) suggests that it's related to the A/C stretch belt, and a tensioner would solve it, but it supposedly doesn't cause any durability issues. If you don't mind getting a new belt then chopping off the old one should, in theory, eliminate the thud. Then once the belt is on it will return. Also, as you have noticed, no one notices it. I went through the biggest headache my first time around at the dealer. The only thing that confuses me is why don't all of them make the sound? Oh well.

OP is not paranoid, there's definitely a sound there that isn't exhibited by other cars. It's hard to notice but it's definitely there.

Worst part is when you are the only one that is hearing it when you go to dealer.

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The extra tensioner and idler for a.c. belt fixed my thud.. You could actually feel it in the intake tube and passenger side head.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The extra tensioner and idler for a.c. belt fixed my thud.. You could actually feel it in the intake tube and passenger side head.
I had kind of a thudding noise that followed the tick as the engine revved. It went away with the A/C tensioner installed. I think that noise may be more compressor related that just happens to follow the BBQ ticking noise as rpm's go up. The tick though, I believe is a different issue.

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
I hear it more on the passenger side too.
Is there anything I can do to convince the dealer that it is ac tentioner belt related? Otherwise I am just gonna ignore it.
I dont want them to keep the car for weeks and replace random stuff.