Sponsored

2018 Performance Pack - A big step BACKWARDS

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Lousy value??? The 15-17 PP is a helluva lot more than just some upgraded brakes.

Go price out what it would take to buy each piece separately and let us know how much of a lousy value the $2995 package is compared to what you get.
I think the PP is lousy value because it contains a number of useless parts:

- small, ugly wheels with the wrong ET value (so they will be tossed)
- extremly poor quality P-Zero tires (utterly useless, need immediate replacement)
- useless springs (way too stiff for their ride height, poor stance in the front and only marginal stability improvement over stock, so they will be tossed as well)
- and therefore also useless shocks and struts (because new springs require different shocks and struts)

The only things that add value are the bigger radiator and the 6-piston brakes, which are cool but actually overkill on any road car. Unless you supercharge it perhaps. I would prefer to spend my money on a good coilover set and proper aftermarket wheels. Or stick with the standard suspension, which drives way more comfortable than the PP.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The 15 - 17 GT PP isn't a lousy value at all. The brakes alone are worth the price of entry. The sway bars are also not bad either. Honestly, there are many cases where people shouldn't be touching those sway bars when they do and then completely dick up the balance of the car. The shocks on the other hand suck. Badly.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
The 15 - 17 GT PP isn't a lousy value at all. The brakes alone are worth the price of entry. The sway bars are also not bad either. Honestly, there are many cases where people shouldn't be touching those sway bars when they do and then completely dick up the balance of the car. The shocks on the other hand suck. Badly.
Brakes were worth the price of entry at the original cost of about $2000. Now at $4,000...lol

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
only big change in the PP is it comes with pilot sport 4S instead of the Pirelli Poop Zeroes. That shouldnt have escalated the cost that much though

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think the PP is lousy value because it contains a number of useless parts:

- small, ugly wheels with the wrong ET value (so they will be tossed)
- extremly poor quality P-Zero tires (utterly useless, need immediate replacement)
- useless springs (way too stiff for their ride height, poor stance in the front and only marginal stability improvement over stock, so they will be tossed as well)
- and therefore also useless shocks and struts (because new springs require different shocks and struts)

The only things that add value are the bigger radiator and the 6-piston brakes, which are cool but actually overkill on any road car. Unless you supercharge it perhaps. I would prefer to spend my money on a good coilover set and proper aftermarket wheels. Or stick with the standard suspension, which drives way more comfortable than the PP.
:crazy:

The PP is not a stiff car lol :lol:, and is quite a solid performer stock. The non-PP drives like a whale (trust me, I know).

It also gets a much better differential for performance driving, better cooling, a better axle ratio for most performance driving, and lots more chassis bracing, in addition to the brakes. The PP wheels look great and aren't small...(the non-PP has 8" wide wheels with 235 section tires, if you want to talk way too small for the car).

Sponsored

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
What a dumb statement!

The camaro certainly performs better than the current mustang (performance numbers, not day to day live ability)but how can you make that statement to the yet unknown performance of the new mustang?
What if the new mustang spanks the camaro? What will you say then?
And I really should've made this clarification : 1LE v. PP is what I was thinking.

My statement - that of some guy on the internet - is based on this:

The 1LE is lighter
has a better suspension/chassis
has a better transmission (TR 6060 > MT82)
has a marginally better motor (I'm still biased toward pushrods,
but I concede the Coyote has evolved nicely)
Better cooling systems
Better rubber

I am in the market for a new DD, and the Mustang is way higher on my list than the Camaro (which I've pretty much ruled out as a DD - just too damn ugly) - so my opinion is not fanboy BS.

As far as spanking goes - I'll bet you $1K the 1LE is the faster track car vs. the PP GT when that test gets taken. And if the PP GT beats a 1LE around the track, hats off to Ford - that would be an amazing accomplishment.

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I built my 2018 to spec online and almost screamed in anger a few times. To get a black painted roof it costs basically 4,000 and if I want the PP I can't have the black painted roof. Um? And I can't just get PP, magna, and cloth Recaro in a base car, which I think would sell like hot cakes and it's not like there's some inconsistent harness wiring with that combination vs. others that would make it impossible to offer at a profit. Car companies really need to stop it with the "must have this package to get this minor little thing" charade. Frankly, I'd rather have a Camaro SS 1LE vs. the 2018, especially since the front sucks. At least I know it doesn't have an MT82! Ahwell... I wasn't going to buy a 2018 anyway. I need an f'ing pickup truck and used pickups with a billion miles are still insanely expensive because people buy them with 900 month loans and want to get their money.
Hah. I should have included the Tremec as a 1LE advantage given some people say a transmission swap from the MT82 is a must do mod.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Not sure who posted the comment about the PP being bad at daily driver - but in my opinion anyway - the 2015 GT/PP is actually a great daily driver. Also very manageable for long drives such that you don't feel worn out, tired, and just beat. We've made several trips from Sacramento, to Las Vegas, to LA, and back.

As far as spanking goes - I'll bet you $1K the 1LE is the faster track car vs. the PP GT when that test gets taken. And if the PP GT beats a 1LE around the track, hats off to Ford - that would be an amazing accomplishment.
Time will tell. I'm leaning towards driver, track, and how the tests are conducted. A lot of wiggle room when people start to paper/bench race vs. comparing lap times on x, y, and z tracks. Very rare when people actually compare them on the same track, same day, same time, for 20 or more laps.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Agreed, the PP car is not stiff. You guys think the '15 GT PP is stiff? Lol...oh of you only knew what a stiff suspension was.

What the '15 GT PP IS though is bouncy and very poorly valved on the rebound. Compression is actually quite good.

Sponsored

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Not a PP guy anyway as I have no intention of tracking the car...but why is the Magnaride not a standalone item?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Not sure but magnaride handles and has a far better ride quality than a standard GT/PP shock.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Not sure but magnaride handles and has a far better ride quality than a standard GT/PP shock.
The ride quality isn't bad at all with the PP. I think the real shocker will be the replacement cost on the Magnaride when it comes to that time.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Not a PP guy anyway as I have no intention of tracking the car...but why is the Magnaride not a standalone item?
it sucks ! but ford is smart and they know that people want magride so they force you to buy another package $$$$$$$
Sponsored