Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
My source told me...in very vague terms, it's like a cross between a miata and a charger, less of a muscle car look and more of a pure sports car look.
That surprises me, especially for "just" a face lift. I would have thought they'd have just described the specific differences from the current car (maybe new lights / bumpers etc).

Still, any info whets the appetite :)
Sponsored

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
My source told me...in very vague terms, it's like a cross between a miata and a charger, less of a muscle car look and more of a pure sports car look. No significant changes to engine, but transmission is upgraded.
I wonder if that could mean moving a bit further away from the Camaro badass look that is not selling, and more towards a smooth stylish look that is selling well.

I like the idea of a basic Grand Touring performance car rather than a smallish(?) Sports Car....backed up of course by the badass Shelbys.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Know what I'd like to see or I should say not see on the 2018 refresh that damn black plastic on the front splitter and a long the side of the car. Hard to keep clean and looking good. My 13 Escape has it and my wife 15 Edge has it. Ford PLEASE quit using it.
Do yourself a favor and uninstall those components. If you like the results, you might want to shave your head... eyebrows too. Those are hard to keep clean too. They also happen to serve the same purpose. Your wife might want to avoid using any makeup as well for the same reasons.

Those plastic panels have the same visual effects as the personal features on your face. Unfortunately, they require some care to keep clean. Fortunately, they are easy to remove if the cons outweigh the pros. To each their own.

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Do yourself a favor and uninstall those components. If you like the results, you might want to shave your head... eyebrows too. Those are hard to keep clean too. They also happen to serve the same purpose. Your wife might want to avoid using any makeup as well for the same reasons.

Those plastic panels have the same visual effects as the personal features on your face. Unfortunately, they require some care to keep clean. Fortunately, they are easy to remove if the cons outweigh the pros. To each their own.

Lighten up bro it's just a suggestion. I had a 2005 Escape that had a lot of black plastic on it and also 2011 Escape that had no black plastic at all the 2011 had a much cleaner look and was easier to detail so no black plastic could be done.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Lighten up bro it's just a suggestion. I had a 2005 Escape that had a lot of black plastic on it and also 2011 Escape that had no black plastic at all the 2011 had a much cleaner look and was easier to detail so no black plastic could be done.
Similar to what they did from the '10-12 to '13/14 refresh?
2012.jpg
2013.jpg

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
You and Ecovert may be on to something.

For a long time, it seems like parts are left untainted to allow for an easy freshening up look midway through the model run. I feel like there are lots of examples of this, especially from American cars but the "S197.2" is a good example.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some example of this...even if it's a painted grille treatment or something. :shrug:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

For a long time, it seems like parts are left untainted to allow for an easy freshening up look midway through the model run. I feel like there are lots of examples of this, especially from American cars but the "S197.2" is a good example.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some example of this...even if it's a painted grille treatment or something. :shrug:
I could see that happening. Painting the existing side skirts would probably be enough of a change to the sides for just a refresh. The problem is that the fully painted rear bumper is the base model bumper currently. Since I've been hearing the 2018 GT will take a lot of inspiration from the GT350 and it seems all these mules are running around with quad exhausts, maybe they'll use something like the current GT350 rear bumper. But as you can see, it's always unpainted on the Shelby currently so paint that and put it on the GT for 2018 and it could be a cool refreshed look.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I've always liked the painted panels and think they are usually a huge improvement over plain black plastic. Gives the car a more classy look. Here's another example of what a huge difference a little paint can make.
plastic nitro.jpg
nitro.jpg

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
[MENTION=7421]chrisvr6[/MENTION]

Can you work your ninja magic with a '15-17 and see if you can paint the side skirts body color like above?

I personally think we're just going to get quads for the rear, only change there other than maybe a different spoiler option.

New head lights/fog setup up front, new hood/revised hood vents.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
:ford:
2018.jpg

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

The parts are left matte black (plastic) to provide a faux lower boundary to the bodywork. It provides an optical allusion which makes the car appear more svelt. This also serves to keeps the aero in check. Some companies use hard sculpting to capture a lower light reflection for a similar (if not more premium) affect, but the matte plastic is far more resilient to scuffs and curbs and tends to age better on cars that marketed to less mindful (or affluent) consumers.

The best application is usually a car that uses both features, the S550 being a prime example. The worst applications are pretty much any American car manufactured between 1994 and 2004. This stereotypical 90s defect is what makes cars of the era appear so bulbous, and is the origin of the term "Jelly-Mold", as it applies to vehicles of the era.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
[MENTION=7421]chrisvr6[/MENTION]

Can you work your ninja magic with a '15-17 and see if you can paint the side skirts body color like above?

I personally think we're just going to get quads for the rear, only change there other than maybe a different spoiler option.

New head lights/fog setup up front, new hood/revised hood vents.
We do need a taller duck bill spoiler option! It sets off the styling of the car.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I like the painted side skirts, but not really digging the James William Bottomtooth III front chin now. Paint just draws the eyes to it too much. IDK.
Sponsored