2018 mustang gt engine won’t turn off

DeesNewtons

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
I have this weird problem or maybe it’s not a problem, maybes it’s the way it’s supposed to be? But when my headlight switch is on, or my day time running light switch is on my car engine won’t cut off at all, all the gauges go off and the car acts like it’s off but the engine is still on. Any help or anyone who’s had this problem before I could use some insight thanks. (Sorry the video sucks I was about to go into work when I recorded this)

Sponsored

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I saw a wrench light on too it looked like? Definitely NOT normal. I've seen that happen before, although, was not on a Mustang. I think on the car in question for me I think it had something to do with an aftermarket remote start that was installed on the car but can't be 100% certain cause it was a while ago.

OP
OP
DeesNewtons

DeesNewtons

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
So when I turn the car off with the headlight switch on, the dash turns off but not the engine. When I press the start/stop button to start the car again (even tho the engine is already running) every error light on the dash comes on, “see Manual”, “traction control”, “hill assist,”

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
That is in fact not normal. With the headlight switch in auto or off it turns off as normal?

OP
OP
DeesNewtons

DeesNewtons

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
yes with auto headlights on it works as normal, and you could say well just leave it like that then, yes I could but for a newish car to have this kind of issue is ridiculous. And the ford dealer said they couldn’t get me in till next year. So I’m not willing to wait around on them if I could help it.

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
yes with auto headlights on it works as normal, and you could say well just leave it like that then, yes I could but for a newish car to have this kind of issue is ridiculous. And the ford dealer said they couldn’t get me in till next year. So I’m not willing to wait around on them if I could help it.
Your dealer can't get you in until next year? Where do you live, Somalia? Sorry to be facetious, but man, that's ridiculous. Do you have another dealer nearby you could go to?

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Your dealer can't get you in until next year? Where do you live, Somalia? Sorry to be facetious, but man, that's ridiculous. Do you have another dealer nearby you could go to?
That's the way it is at most dealerships...sucks.

OP, definitely not normal! Have you done any aftermarket mods to include stereo? Tint installed on the windshield?

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
ATL...lol. South side sucks!

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
Not really, I think that it is very market dependent though.
The wait here is around 6 weeks.
When I've needed mine serviced, I've gotten it in within the same week. I must be lucky in this regard at least.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DeesNewtons

DeesNewtons

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
yes I did do tint/stereo I did a line out converter in the trunk to the amp

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Did the problem start before or after the install? Is the amp aftermarket too? Where/what did you tap into for power?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Who did the install? You did it yourself or had some shop do it for you?

There is an electrical issue at play here, someone tapped the wrong lines and is feeding current to something that have to go to 0 when the car is stopped.
First of all, if you can, disconnect the audio system, hopefully all the intercepted lines go there.

NICK5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NICK
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Im having this issue, did you ever solve it? My issue started after installing rtr style grille with lights. If I press engine button it will power off like normal but engine won't turn off till 20 seconds later. If I switch lights to off instead of auto, the engine turns off.
Sponsored