Sponsored

2018 Ecoboost dead on the side of the road....now questions

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I did not notice a diesel smell. I cleaned the side of the car as well, the smell was not 100% normal to me and it dissipated more quickly than I would have expected but it still didnt smell like diesel.

Ethanol perhaps?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
Ethanol perhaps?
All my local gasoline is an ethanol blend; this didnt have a sweet enough smell to be E85 which I have never seen around here and would not likely be mis-delivered to this station.
It just smelled off and dissipated quickly, and I noted that it dissipated before the car died so its not the failure influencing my memory. I put it down to the fact that I used a bit of dirty windshield cleaner water on the paper towel that I wiped with.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Very odd, nothing stands out as a probable cause.

Well, OP;
giphy.gif

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer confirmed diesel in the tank.
And based upon my calculation that I had less than 2 gallons left before I filled they believe that it is diesel and 93 premium gasoline mixed in the stations ground tank.
The tech also said to me that he should have known it was diesel right away based on smell, but that it didnt smell like diesel to him (confirming my original comment); that it was a high percentage of gas mixed with diesel.
Car will be ready by Friday.
I need to confirm my credit card charge for 93 octane and then start the fight to be repaid.

EDIT and WARNING!!! Dealer advised me that one of my supposedly pre-gapped NGK plugs was in fact not gapped at all. I will get the plug back and measure and next time not take it for granted that you dont get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Jeez

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Okay so correct me if I'm wrong, but did I read it correctly? Someone else filled your tank? That service still exists?

Regardless sorry this happened at least it's not the tune so there is that. I hope it's an easy fight to have the gas station own up to their mistake.

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay so correct me if I'm wrong, but did I read it correctly? Someone else filled your tank? That service still exists?

Regardless sorry this happened at least it's not the tune so there is that. I hope it's an easy fight to have the gas station own up to their mistake.
No, I filled the tank. The stations tanks were improperly filled. Once i get the bill I will be making my claim.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Do not forget to follow through even if its a moot point and contact the gas station directly if you haven't already. I had a similar issue of an over amount of water in my tank a couple a years ago on a dyno day and I was not very pleased with it lol...

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
make sure the dealer is willing to put on service order that diesel fuel was found in tank or else it could be up hill battle in getting them to reimburse especially if they don't get any other complaints. I would consider reporting to your state agency that certifies pumps (usually weights and measures or something like that) . still doesn't explain why your accessport wouldn't commicate. it will be interesting if your Acessport works when you get the car back.

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
make sure the dealer is willing to put on service order that diesel fuel was found in tank or else it could be up hill battle in getting them to reimburse especially if they don't get any other complaints. I would consider reporting to your state agency that certifies pumps (usually weights and measures or something like that) . still doesn't explain why your accessport wouldn't commicate. it will be interesting if your Acessport works when you get the car back.
The dealer still hasnt gotten the car started but they did say everything else checked out fine, whatever that means; hopefully the ECU was just overwhelmed trying to process what was going on and went into some kind of safe mode.

Sponsored

VenomousSVT

about to take the plunge
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger WideBody ScatPack
it sucks you got the short end on the diesel, something that you can't avoid. you roll the dice when you get gas and hope for the best.

with that being said, NEVER put plugs in your car without checking the gap. EVER

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it sucks you got the short end on the diesel, something that you can't avoid. you roll the dice when you get gas and hope for the best.

with that being said, NEVER put plugs in your car without checking the gap. EVER
Well, every other plug Ive ever done (and thats a lot) even on my 140k mile 1999 Camry 4cyl has been gapped by me.
I figured "pre-gapped" meant "pre-gapped." I was wrong.

VenomousSVT

about to take the plunge
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger WideBody ScatPack
Well, every other plug Ive ever done (and thats a lot) even on my 140k mile 1999 Camry 4cyl has been gapped by me.
I figured "pre-gapped" meant "pre-gapped." I was wrong.
it's supposed to mean that.... but mistakes happen, id rather not have a failure due to someone else mistake (ie diesel on a gas tank)

you have no reason to doubt my abilities, but if I sent you some plugs I sold you that I gapped for you, I promise I would not be offended if you checked them prior to installing them..LOL

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it's supposed to mean that.... but mistakes happen, id rather not have a failure due to someone else mistake (ie diesel on a gas tank)

you have no reason to doubt my abilities, but if I sent you some plugs I sold you that I gapped for you, I promise I would not be offended if you checked them prior to installing them..LOL
I was experiencing the feared cascade failure!
I drove the car on Saturday and Sunday and kept expecting something else to happen.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
Just out of curiosity where did you by the pre-gapped plugs from? I purchase mine from tune+ and never thought of double checking . I'm wondering if I should pull one and check this weekend.
Sponsored