Sponsored

2018 Ecoboost dead on the side of the road....now questions

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
Friday night on my drive home my car stumbled/stuttered a bit and then two miles down the road stalled and would not start. No misfires or anything like that, just a bit rough and then dead, like no ignition dead.
I had just come from filling up the tank, maybe 5 miles down the road, and due to a cascade of events ended up overflowing a bit of gas while filling.
While waiting for my tow I thought maybe it was bad gas (on a 93 octane tune) and cursed my self for not having my accessport or that I screwed up the evap system.
When I got it home I plug in the accessport and read a P0610 Control Module Vehicle Options Error.
Then I tried to change the tune back to Ford stock in the event that cured or it had to go in for warranty service.
The port read that it could not communicate with the ECU.
The car is going in on Wednesday for service.

Questions. Is PO610 a total ecu failure code? Will Ford be able to read the tune in that case?
Is it still possibly an evap issue?
Has anyone ever had any experience similar?
Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I haven't had any problems with mine, but I know some EB owners have had to do something with the evap system. I don't recall anything more specific than that, but if you dig around you should turn up some better info.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The car is going in on Wednesday for service.
Was that something you already had scheduled? Or have you scheduled a service visit due to what's happened?

If the dealership doesn't know anything about what's happened, cancel the appointment until you do some more investigation into this and try to fix it yourself.

If the issue is related to your tune, the dealership could decided not to fix it under warranty.

Give us the details on the tune.

chipset35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Keep your fuel receipt. We had over 300 people get diesel in their cars because the fuel delivery truck put it in the wrong pumps.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I would check ecu fuses,when scan tools wont communicate their is usually a power or ground problem as long as u have a good scan tool.If power and grounds are good sounds like ecu.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep your fuel receipt. We had over 300 people get diesel in their cars because the fuel delivery truck put it in the wrong pumps.
It behaved like a diesel failure; as if the fuel in the system ran out and then the car died when the diesel entered the system.
I was concerned that I somehow made a mistake, but I have filled at this very pump before and I hit 93 octane and the price for 93 came up and the pump operated.
I am now suspicious that it might have been diesel in the stations tank, but we will see after service dept reviews.
I purchased with a Mobil Credit Card so the transaction is recorded.

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was that something you already had scheduled? Or have you scheduled a service visit due to what's happened?

If the dealership doesn't know anything about what's happened, cancel the appointment until you do some more investigation into this and try to fix it yourself.

If the issue is related to your tune, the dealership could decided not to fix it under warranty.

Give us the details on the tune.
No, I am sending it in for repair for this issue.
I do not have the knowledge or equipment to get to the bottom of this issue, particularly on a car with 6000 miles and (hopefully) under warranty.
I was hoping that the accessport would tell me more and perhaps help reset any computer failure but when it read that it could not communicate with the ECU that put an end to my investigation.
I can only hope that the ECU is in fact completely dead and no trace of the tune findable.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No, I am sending it in for repair for this issue.
I do not have the knowledge or equipment to get to the bottom of this issue, particularly on a car with 6000 miles and (hopefully) under warranty.
I was hoping that the accessport would tell me more and perhaps help reset any computer failure but when it read that it could not communicate with the ECU that put an end to my investigation.
I can only hope that the ECU is in fact completely dead and no trace of the tune findable.
Have you un-plugged the battery for, say, 30 minutes?

Might re-set something.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
since the accessport can't communicate with the ECU I doubt it has anything to do with with your last fill up. hope it's a quick fix and your back in your car soon. keep us posted.

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you un-plugged the battery for, say, 30 minutes?

Might re-set something.
Battery died from too many starts, car went into crazy mode as battery was dieing. Lights were flickering on and off and from side to side. I charged it and still no change.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
since the accessport can't communicate with the ECU I doubt it has anything to do with with your last fill up. hope it's a quick fix and your back in your car soon. keep us posted.
That's what Im hoping, but its very coincidental that it happened so soon after the fill up and it behaved like a diesel mis-fill.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Battery died from too many starts, car went into crazy mode as battery was dieing. Lights were flickering on and off and from side to side. I charged it and still no change.
Have you replaced the battery? Or are you telling the dealership the battery has died and the car doesn't run?

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you replaced the battery? Or are you telling the dealership the battery has died and the car doesn't run?
I told the dealership the car died on the side of the road and wont start, they can do the rest.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
... due to a cascade of events ended up overflowing a bit of gas while filling.
It behaved like a diesel failure; as if the fuel in the system ran out and then the car died when the diesel entered the system.

Did it smell like gasoline when it overfilled? Diesel smells distinctly different from gasoline.

OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did it smell like gasoline when it overfilled? Diesel smells distinctly different from gasoline.
I did not notice a diesel smell. I cleaned the side of the car as well, the smell was not 100% normal to me and it dissipated more quickly than I would have expected but it still didnt smell like diesel.
Sponsored