Sponsored

2018 Digital Cluster Installation Guide

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
What happens in a 2018+ that originally came with a digital dash if you plug in a 2018+ analog style with equal programing? Would the steering wheel controls need to be changed?
Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this thread is about converting TO the digital dash however I am wondering if anyone knows or can confirm you can do the opposite and convert FROM a digital dash to analog gauges in a 18+ 401 equipped car ( I have not come across a definitive answer / example of someone doing this ?) I am in the market to get back into mustangs with an S550 purchase however I would prefer a 401 18+ for memory seats but want the analog gauges instead of the digital dash. can the digital dash be swapped out and a analog gauge from 400 equipped car put in its place with just coding ? Otherwise I might look into 15-17 pre facelift cars as they still had analog gauges with memory seats however id rather have facelift gen 3 over gen 2. If this is possible I will do said swap and promise to resell a digital dash for CHEAP on forum. Thanks!
@SPQRROMANSPQR @breeves002
See, there's at least two of us with the same idea. Basically the 18+ clusters and steering wheel switches can be thought of as "digital appearance" and "analog appearance" in form and function. I think if you have a factory 18+ "digital" car, Bullitt 401A 201A Mach 1, and use 18+ "analog" steering wheel switches in all four locations the car shouldn't know the difference. The flow of information is exactly the same as if it had been an "analog" 18+ car that you installed new "digital" switches and cluster. The reverse should be true too.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
What happens in a 2018+ that originally came with a digital dash if you plug in a 2018+ analog style with equal programing? Would the steering wheel controls need to be changed?
Yes right side two steering wheel buttons and SCCM programming need to be changed.

@SPQRROMANSPQR @breeves002
See, there's at least two of us with the same idea. Basically the 18+ clusters and steering wheel switches can be thought of as "digital appearance" and "analog appearance" in form and function. I think if you have a factory 18+ "digital" car, Bullitt 401A 201A Mach 1, and use 18+ "analog" steering wheel switches in all four locations the car shouldn't know the difference. The flow of information is exactly the same as if it had been an "analog" 18+ car that you installed new "digital" switches and cluster. The reverse should be true too.
You can do this but the steering wheel buttons have different resistance values for the lower right button. The upper right button may still work but it will be incorrectly labeled on the button itself. SCCM must also be reprogrammed.

I can do this programming.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes right side two steering wheel buttons and SCCM programming need to be changed.

You can do this but the steering wheel buttons have different resistance values for the lower right button. The upper right button may still work but it will be incorrectly labeled on the button itself. SCCM must also be reprogrammed.

I can do this programming.
How does a clockspring get programed? I thought they were just physically configured for the wiper and heated wheel combinations. The steering wheel, SCCM, clockspring would all be factory original to the car, why would there need to be a change or programming for the SCCM? I'm confused about that part.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
How does a clockspring get programed? I thought they were just physically configured for the wiper and heated wheel combinations. The steering wheel, SCCM, clockspring would all be factory original to the car, why would there need to be a change or programming for the SCCM? I'm confused about that part.
The assembly is called the "steering column housing assembly". It holds the clock spring, wipers, blinkers, and SCCM. Only the SCCM is programmable. The rest of it is almost identical on all cars. Just varies slightly for heated wheel, lane assist, and auto wipers/rear wiper. It is the same or similar on many Fords.

The SCCM translates the button presses. The SCCM has a programming value that says what buttons it is expecting. It translates those presses to different can messages based on the button pressed. If you don't program it to the correct button it may translate the press wrong (voice commands instead of right arrow), or won't understand the press at all because it isn't expecting that resistance value from that button switch pack (will set a button problem code).

The only reason you need a new SCCM with the 15-17 cars is because the software on them doesn't have the information for the new buttons as they were never used previously. The software can be updated but it is a process to do that most people aren't comfortable with (more than as built in FORScan).

leandrovitali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leandro
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion 2013 Titanium AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
hello I'm loading you EEPROM it's in km Bullitt max 300km/h and GT500 max 360km/h

Hello everything is fine? Would you have this Bullitt EEPROM in automatic transmission?
Sponsored