Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

Grandmarshal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dario
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Force induction anything...TT, SC, IM BUYING. But only if is a V8.
If is a V6... They can keep it.
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
I understand some want the TT V6 but as a purists I'm hoping it's a V8, Dodge & Chevy are making big power with their V8 variant just hope :ford: does likewise!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Mustang will never be a AWD. No point in making mustang AWD. That market is already saturated and they will be eating into other segments. And a twin-turbo v8 sounds extremely expensive compared to a Supercharged v8. What's the point sticking turbo's on a engine that idles practically in 5th-6th gear? Turbo's are meant for high-rev engines. Would it be worth it to add in expensive fuel management systems on a v8 for Ford?
No point? No point? Are you kidding me?!!?? ;)

Who knows - I'm cheering for TT V8 because I like the idea. Ford engines with TiVCT and 4 valves per cylinder ARE high revving.

I'd like to see AWD for better acceleration on the street in a straight line - assuming that's what the car is designed to do. Following the model of past GT500s I think it's a reasonable assumption. My GT350 with 526 HP will spin the tires easily through first and most of second. The GT500 would accelerate more quickly with AWD almost everywhere I would drive it.

Whether Ford will spend the money to do something is a good question. Certainly superchargers are cheaper than twin turbos and Ford can do a me too car with a blower (basically a carbon copy of a ZL1 or Hellcat with a different badge) that will smoke the rear tires at any speed. Sounds like that's what you want. Frankly I'm not crazy about that idea.

I'm probably not in the market for a GT500 anyway. AWD or big power - neither of them are optimal for road course work. I'm not interested in a drag car, other than my natural interest as a Ford guy in having them slap down the competition in a very convincing manner. :paddle: :ford:

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Mustang will never be a AWD. No point in making mustang AWD. That market is already saturated and they will be eating into other segments. And a twin-turbo v8 sounds extremely expensive compared to a Supercharged v8. What's the point sticking turbo's on a engine that idles practically in 5th-6th gear? Turbo's are meant for high-rev engines. Would it be worth it to add in expensive fuel management systems on a v8 for Ford?
Does not look like a AWD setup. Rim size is smaller in the front.
From what I can see...there is daylight where we should see a trans axle/transfer case.
If it is? That system must be very compact.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Okay - I'm not saying it's a Mach - but how much production car are we really seeing? It's more hardware than a GT - but maybe less than we think. Without hearing it, I can't say what it's got under the hood - lots of padding there. And Ford did re up on the Mach trademark - it's coming.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I understand some want the TT V6 but as a purists I'm hoping it's a V8, Dodge & Chevy are making big power with their V8 variant just hope :ford: does likewise!
ill take the Gen2 DI TT V6@600hp over the LT4 every day of the week.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
:lol::cheers::ford::eyebulge:i hope it is a 810hp GT500!!the CRAPMARO,and TUGBOAT killer!!V8 please!!

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
I fear that its going to be a TT v6 set up. No way Ford is going to put a TT V8 in a Mustang when the GT has a TT v6.

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I fear that its going to be a TT v6 set up. No way Ford is going to put a TT V8 in a Mustang when the GT has a TT v6.
I agree.

"So I dropped a half million on a Ford GT and your pony car gets a better engine?"

DJ Red Barron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat / 1986 Buick GN
I more than get the love of a V8. If given a choice, that's what I'd prefer as well. I'd love to see them hit the streets with a "rated" 750-800 and enough left in the tune to dial it up from there. But with that said, the TTV6 from the new GT would not turn me away.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I agree.

"So I dropped a half million on a Ford GT and your pony car gets a better engine?"
V6 TT allows for the Ford GT to be light, nimble, and balanced. V8 will make the Ford GT back heavy. The old Gt500 is rated at 662 bhp, which is already probably more power than the Ford GT (currently Ford says its '600 plus horsepower').

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
V6 TT allows for the Ford GT to be light, nimble, and balanced. V8 will make the Ford GT back heavy. The old Gt500 is rated at 662 bhp, which is already probably more power than the Ford GT (currently Ford says its '600 plus horsepower').
Exactly and it had more to do with gas mileage. Stuff a V8 in the GT and your losing mileage which is critical and adding weight. There is no doubt in my mind this is a V8 and probably one to crest the HP wars in our time.
We may get a v6 AFTER this one and it may be in the mid 600 HP range, but this beast will be in the mid 720 to 750 range. I'll wager on it.
Sponsored