Sponsored

2017 ZL1 could bring about unveiling of GT500?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think the HP target is pretty set in stone, GM won't let it have more power than the Z06, and even on the Chevy site, this isn't like TBD type marketing, this is pretty specific (see screencap from Chevrolet.com)

Personally, I don't think we should infer the peak the HP/torque capability of the new 10-speed from the ZL1. I think the HP target was based on the existing LT4 implementation in the C7 - which itself was likely a combination of power, reliability, cost, and target market - minus a touch for marketing (or possibly packaging). I'd suspect the 10-speed will at least handle 650 and make it into the Z06 next year.

I'd imagine with as modular as car manufacturing is, there would be an option to use enough of the 10-speed components to get a good EOS, but still allow for model specific variants.

:cheers:

Key word in that picture:

"Estimated"

Like Ford ended up with more power in the GT500. And the "over 500 hp" in the gt350 turned to 526.

I don't think the Vette will be hurt by a bigger power figure in the zl1 due to the aero and weight differences.

But the z06 needs that auto 10 pronto.

I wonder if GM will keep the shift timing like that. The car looked like it would shake apart after a while. Great for speed though.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

"Estimated"

Like Ford ended up with more power in the GT500. And the "over 500 hp" in the gt350 turned to 526.

I don't think the Vette will be hurt by a bigger power figure in the zl1 due to the aero and weight differences.

But the z06 needs that auto 10 pronto.

I wonder if GM will keep the shift timing like that. The car looked like it would shake apart after a while. Great for speed though.
I'd say that probably just means it hasn't been [SAE] certified, but that's the design target. It doesn't seem like they're being coy, and saying "Over 6xx HP", they seem to have a pretty specific goal. Before the C7 was released, the LT1 was marketed using materials that said "460 estimated", and it turned out to be exactly 460HP.

Yeah, I mean, I agree that the Corvette for multiple reasons would be faster with matching engine output (I even clarified this in a post above, there's way more than just HP as a performance metric), but it's about marketing and halo products. Even the just released LT1: Camaro 455, C7 460, I don't think there's a 5HP packaging deficit, I think it's just Corvette > Camaro. I think the very most GM allows is the same engine, same specs in specialty/limited production cars (i.e., C6 Z06 and 5th Gen Z/28).

I don't know, I just don't see GM releasing a ZL1 that has any HP advantage on the just released ultra-high performance variant of the C7 Corvette. Just my $0.02.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I think the HP target is pretty set in stone, GM won't let it have more power than the Z06, and even on the Chevy site, this isn't like TBD type marketing, this is pretty specific (see screencap from Chevrolet.com)

Personally, I don't think we should infer the peak the HP/torque capability of the new 10-speed from the ZL1. I think the HP target was based on the existing LT4 implementation in the C7 - which itself was likely a combination of power, reliability, cost, and target market - minus a touch for marketing (or possibly packaging). I'd suspect the 10-speed will at least handle 650 and make it into the Z06 next year.

I'd imagine with as modular as car manufacturing is, there would be an option to use enough of the 10-speed components to get a good EOS, but still allow for model specific variants.

:cheers:
I doubt GM had much say in the 10 Speed development. The more I read, the more it seems Ford engineered the entire transmission, including gear sets. It appears the zl1/CTS-V is the only top end version right now.

The likely hood that the CTS-V and zl1 we're turned down a notch is due to the availability and torque capacity of the 10 speed.

This doesn't mean there isn't another 10 Speed above it... it just seems less likely. The Raptor, Caddy and zl1 would need to be in production for a model year or two (and sell) to make a one off, GT500 auto worth it. As of now, GM HAS NOT SHARED development cost on the 10 Speed. It's a funny thought to think that a Raptor, zl1 and CTS-V might help offset development cost for the GT500. :lol:

That is not the position the Camaro needs to be in...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This doesn't mean there isn't another 10 Speed above it... it just seems less likely. The Raptor, Caddy and zl1 would need to be in production for a model year or two (and sell) to make a one off, GT500 auto worth it.
Yeah, I guess there's really only a few options with regards to the 10-speed in the GT500:

- 10-speed GT500 with power limited by tranny
- Custom "one off", car specific 10-speed variant to handle max HP target (700+ ?), cost considerations
- No auto

I'll probably be in the market for the GT500, and by that time, I might consider an auto (blasphemy! :D )

I was shopping later model GT500 convertibles, and while that 662HP was super tempting, once I got a chance to check out a 6th gen, I was done, I love the new car, everything about it was better than the GT500 with the exception of the power (and some exclusivity of a Shelby car).

I waited for a '16 to get a Perf Package in the convertible, because I enjoy rowing gears and wanted the better [insert list of PP perks here], and it's not a daily driver ... but, if there was a much better auto, where the rest of the package didn't have any compromise, I'd very seriously consider it. Heck, then even the wife could drive it :)

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Yeah, I guess there's really only a few options with regards to the 10-speed in the GT500:

- 10-speed GT500 with power limited by tranny
- Custom "one off", car specific 10-speed variant to handle max HP target (700+ ?), cost considerations
- No auto

I'll probably be in the market for the GT500, and by that time, I might consider an auto (blasphemy! :D )

I was shopping later model GT500 convertibles, and while that 662HP was super tempting, once I got a chance to check out a 6th gen, I was done, I love the new car, everything about it was better than the GT500 with the exception of the power (and some exclusivity of a Shelby car).

I waited for a '16 to get a Perf Package in the convertible, because I enjoy rowing gears and wanted the better [insert list of PP perks here], and it's not a daily driver ... but, if there was a much better auto, where the rest of the package didn't have any compromise, I'd very seriously consider it. Heck, then even the wife could drive it :)
Here's a 2015 ZL1 losing brakes (2017 zl1 has less brake) and almost killing people at Sebring.

I seen many people flame this man to not using the clutch to control the chaos.

I wonder what could possibly have been in the zl1 that wouldn't allow the driver to use the clutch...

Anyone have any idea why this 580hp got away from an inexperienced driver?

The car has been driving the whole time, the idiot in the drivers seat has just been hanging on :lol:

NO AUTO IN THE 2017-'18 GT500.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/brake-failure-sends-muscle-car-into.html?m=1

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Here's a 2015 ZL1 losing brakes (2017 zl1 has less brake) and almost killing people at Sebring.

I seen many people flame this man to not using the clutch to control the chaos.

I wonder what could possibly have been in the zl1 that wouldn't allow the driver to use the clutch...

Anyone have any idea why this 580hp got away from an inexperienced driver?

The car has been driving the whole time, the idiot in the drivers seat has just been hanging on :lol:

NO AUTO IN THE 2017-'18 GT500.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/brake-failure-sends-muscle-car-into.html?m=1

I've run Sebring several times (I'm on the NE coast of FL), in additional to [the old] Moroso, Summit Point, CMS, Road Atlanta, lots of seat time at Roebling Road. Some manuals, some DCTs, even a few times in a traditional auto :)

I hear you, there's an additional level of control, and call it, emergency contingency, that comes with a manual (though I'd suggest it's equivalent in a DCT type setup), I've even owned a few cars that were manual only, and I always dug on the idea of that being the ultimate expression of the driving experience.

That being said, I don't think that would factor into the business side of Ford wanting to be competitive on the high end now that GM has kind of shaken things up with an auto option in the Z06 and ZL1 (and convertible variants on top of that).

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I've run Sebring several times (I'm on the NE coast of FL), in additional to [the old] Moroso, Summit Point, CMS, Road Atlanta, lots of seat time at Roebling Road. Some manuals, some DCTs, even a few times in a traditional auto :)

I hear you, there's an additional level of control, and call it, emergency contingency, that comes with a manual (though I'd suggest it's equivalent in a DCT type setup), I've even owned a few cars that were manual only, and I always dug on the idea of that being the ultimate expression of the driving experience.

That being said, I don't think that would factor into the business side of Ford wanting to be competitive on the high end now that GM has kind of shaken things up with an auto option in the Z06 and ZL1 (and convertible variants on top of that).
thePill is hearing the 10 Speed Auto was never intended for the 2017 zl1. Some of the very top Camaro engineers originally fought the idea of a 10 speed altogether. If the engineers feel that it's overkill, it probably is.

I think driver Aaron Link hated it too.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
"Estimated"
Exactly bro! I'm glad you see it as well.
I'm calling it now,......it is going to have more HP than the Z06. I've been posting this for weeks now. :thumbsup:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
In some ways it appears Ford has been messing with enthusiasts, for in an about-face it’s announced it will be heading to Le Mans with a V8-version of its EcoBoost V6.
ARE YOU READY FOR 800HP!!

808Trumpower

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
IF IT WASN"T APRIL 1ST I'd be like, "Finally!" But I'm waiting for the shoe to drop, and hear "April Fools".

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.