The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Crunch Time and ......

Wow can't believe we are so close to April and hopefully Ford will release new details about the 2018 Ford Mustang GT at the New York International Auto Show Apr 14 - Apr 23, 2017. Decision time is coming down at the end of April, purchase a 2017 Ford Mustang GT or wait to purchase a 2018 Ford Mustang GT. So far it comes down to price / value / & easy to mod - the 2017 is winning the decision battle. What will it take for me to purchase a 2018 model?

Value purchase for performance satisfaction, what I need and what I want, what is truly important to a car enthusiast a 1/4 mile junkie. :cool:
Sponsored

ftrv8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
On order '17, but still looking at '18
Wow can't believe we are so close to April and hopefully Ford will release new details about the 2018 Ford Mustang GT at the New York International Auto Show Apr 14 - Apr 23, 2017. Decision time is coming down at the end of April, purchase a 2017 Ford Mustang GT or wait to purchase a 2018 Ford Mustang GT. So far it comes down to price / value / & easy to mod - the 2017 is winning the decision battle. What will it take for me to purchase a 2018 model?

Value purchase for performance satisfaction, what I need and what I want, what is truly important to a car enthusiast a 1/4 mile junkie. :cool:
Like you I was trying to play the order at the right moment. I have a 17 on order, but the goodies on the 18 are still calling me. Though I love the 15-17s as a whole, inside and out.

I might back out at the last min if the hp numbers are nice.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I don't think I'll back out of my 2017 order. The 2018 has some nice things for sure, but you can go overkill real fast with it and you'll end up with a car that's almost 50k after taxes.

Not to mention the rebates\incentives that will be available for the 2017's for the people that ordered. Should be a good bang for the buck. I plan on modding so I'm not worried about factory horsepower numbers.

ftrv8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
On order '17, but still looking at '18
I don't think I'll back out of my 2017 order. The 2018 has some nice things for sure, but you can go overkill real fast with it and you'll end up with a car that's almost 50k after taxes.

Not to mention the rebates\incentives that will be available for the 2017's for the people that ordered. Should be a good bang for the buck. I plan on modding so I'm not worried about factory horsepower numbers.
Good point. I believe my dealership said I was locked in for the rebates that were there at the time of my order. I believe $2k in rebates currently, since I ordered 3/22/17.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Just one more thought...

You really can't go wrong with a '17. They're a known quantity and they're excellent...but the couple extra thousand dollars for an '18 may be a wash when you consider that you will have the "current" Mustang for an extra model year at least, making your resale value proportionately higher.

At the very least, unless you're in a huge rush, I'd wait for pricing information (which is due any day now) before jumping on a '17.

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Anybody on the fence, that wants to buy a Lightning Blue 2017 GT Premium PP, w/ Recaro's, Nav, garage queen with 1,000 miles on it PM me. I bought back in Aug when I had an opportunity to sell my 2014 GT Prem Convertible, but then I haven't modded this car or even driven it much as I've been contemplating a GT350 and think I've decided to go for it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Just one more thought...

You really can't go wrong with a '17. They're a known quantity and they're excellent...but the couple extra thousand dollars for an '18 may be a wash when you consider that you will have the "current" Mustang for an extra model year at least, making your resale value proportionately higher.

At the very least, unless you're in a huge rush, I'd wait for pricing information (which is due any day now) before jumping on a '17.
I've told myself before I won't buy a first model year car again. I don't fully regret doing it, but the small quirks here and there were annoying that got fixed a year or two later. I feel confident with a 2017 and really like the body style so I'm sticking with it.

That being said, I still do really like the 2018 refresh. It's bringing a lot of great options to the table and the new engine is something to look forward to. 2019\2020 is the safe bet on the model with any small issues worked out. Seems like a short refresh anyway.

I would love to get my hands on those 5 spoke aluminum forged wheels from the 2018 in black and put them on my 2017. :D

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I don't think you have to worry about first model year issues with a refresh, 18 should be a great buy

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
[MENTION=26261]GTRacerX[/MENTION]
I wish I were in your shoes. I really like my car (2016, order fall 2015), but I like the 2018 even more (and so would my fiancee):
Active exhaust (for loud/quiet)
Magna ride (for firm/soft)
Digital dash
other stuff​

No one wants to lose much money on trade. I would have to wait 2 more years to get a "deal" on a 2018.

2016 and 2017 are so close, that you might consider the 2016 low-miles trade-in car, because you can save more that way.

Otherwise, I would wait (and save) to get the 2018 at whatever timing you're willing/comfortable to pay/save for.
For example, an ordered 2018 when the books open is priciest, while off-the-lot 2018 at year-end 2017 (or Spring 2018) will have rebates/reductions.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
They're a known quantity and they're excellent...but the couple extra thousand dollars for an '18 may be a wash when you consider that you will have the "current" Mustang for an extra model year at least, making your resale value proportionately higher.

Nah, I will wait for the S650. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
All the extras on the 18 don't matter to a lot of people . Magnaride , active exhuast is useless to someone who will mod anyway . The dash will probably swap over but won't be cheap. Based on that I bought my 17 gb

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If you want a car now, get a 17. You really aren't sacrificing anything you can't change with aftermarket. Ya you won't get the DI Coyote revision but you aren't going to be sacrificing much, I can guarantee it. If it was a new chassis, sure, but it's not. The only determining factor for me if I was in this boat would be the visual styling. If I really liked the looks of the 18 over the 17, then I'd wait.

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Forum and why we are all here ...

All the extras on the 18 don't matter to a lot of people . Magnaride , active exhuast is useless to someone who will mod anyway . The dash will probably swap over but won't be cheap. Based on that I bought my 17 gb
The number one reason to buy a Muscle car is to mod anyways - what fun is it if you buy a car that has all the mods built in and it costs more.

1. Magnaride - great from what I hear, but expensive to replace once the warranty runs out. Good set of coil overs are enough for me.
2. Active Exhaust - heck am old school so I don't understand why you need an exhaust you can control how loud it is. Mustangs are supposed to have a deep throaty exhaust - period !
3. Digital Dash - Seems like an 80's Knight Rider craze for all these millennials - looks cool and sure I bet its better than our analog gauges but I bet its going to cost a pretty penny when you have to replace or repair that sucker.
4. 10-speed optional automatic transmission - ok I'll take this one but its going to add weight and cost more to repair. 1/4 drag will be better though.

Heck everything else sounds great on the 2018 model, new wheel designs and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires too. Could aways buy those once my Pirellis need replacing which will be in about 6 months. :lol:

Sound system, Safety Features, all nice but the 2017 has them too except the LED Lights (2017 can be upgraded)

Heck I might even just go for a Base GT, Performance Package, Enhanced Security, Reverse Sensing & some cloth Recaros. Money I save use on mods.
I can always upgrade the sound system later (plan on putting an h-pipe and Borlas Touring Mufflers the first day) Thats all the sound I need !! ;)

Supercharger or Twin Turbos a year or two later ! :ford:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The number one reason to buy a Muscle car is to mod anyways - what fun is it if you buy a car that has all the mods built in and it costs more.

1. Magnaride - great from what I hear, but expensive to replace once the warranty runs out. Good set of coil overs are enough for me.
2. Active Exhaust - heck am old school so I don't understand why you need an exhaust you can control how loud it is. Mustangs are supposed to have a deep throaty exhaust - period !
3. Digital Dash - Seems like an 80's Knight Rider craze for all these millennials - looks cool and sure I bet its better than our analog gauges but I bet its going to cost a pretty penny when you have to replace or repair that sucker.
4. 10-speed optional automatic transmission - ok I'll take this one but its going to add weight and cost more to repair. 1/4 drag will be better though.

Heck everything else sounds great on the 2018 model, new wheel designs and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires too. Could aways buy those once my Pirellis need replacing which will be in about 6 months. :lol:

Sound system, Safety Features, all nice but the 2017 has them too except the LED Lights (2017 can be upgraded)

Heck I might even just go for a Base GT, Performance Package, Enhanced Security, Reverse Sensing & some cloth Recaros. Money I save use on mods.
I can always upgrade the sound system later (plan on putting an h-pipe and Borlas Touring Mufflers the first day) Thats all the sound I need !! ;)

Supercharger or Twin Turbos a year or two later ! :ford:
LED lightning is so simple to do today. Especially if you have projectors already in place.

At least I don't have pedestrian detection so I can run over people at Cars and Coffee.

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
Distractions

LED lightning is so simple to do today. Especially if you have projectors already in place.

At least I don't have pedestrian detection so I can run over people at Cars and Coffee.
If your a real driver you just drive and enjoy the experience and don't get distracted by using your cell phone, or eat and drive or put on make up,
look at the mirror to pick your nose hairs etc...

I have seen some people do crazy things while driving and pedestrians too while walking - everyone just needs to pay attention more about their surroundings.
Oh and whats up with women these days flipping the bird at guys? I swear they are watching too many female empowering movies or action movies or something. People have lost all respect for one another. I say this because I got cut off by one old lady and one younger one in the span of two weeks and each one then proceeded to flip me the bird when I honked at them for a complete illegal turn. :mad:
Sponsored