Sponsored

2017 mustang gt pictures of factory paint defects.

OP
OP

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
The service manager admitted to seeing the defects this morning when I took the car by, apparently they train the service advisers to say they cant see it or its not there until its looked at by a service manager because the same guy that couldn't see it had a different attitude once the manager admitted that it looked like shit. I made sure that he knew that I did not want a repainted car, that I wanted a replacment vehicle and they needed to make this right. He didnt really say much other than he didnt understand what was going on until he saw the car in person. I emailed him every picture I have taken of the defects and he is supposed to be communicating with the dealership manager and my Ford claims person.

something is very fishy here with where the damage happened and who is responsible for the half assed repair. I dont want to put blame on the dealership just yet until I am given proof that they made the shoddy repair and sold it to me but My 6th sense is telling me that the dealership knows they fucked up and were hoping that the repair would never be spotted. I will also say it could have been damaged and repaired at a "port" because my customer service case rep had record of transit damage to rear quarter panel but thats new news to everyone at the dealership.
Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
You won't get a new car. You took delivery of it as it was/is. The most they will do is try to repair it. They never will admit to anything. Good luck.

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
You won't get a new car. You took delivery of it as it was/is. The most they will do is try to repair it. They never will admit to anything. Good luck.
I'm thinking along the same line as you. It has been said on this forum many times in the past that you should never sign off on receiving the car if there are major issues like the OP has. I imagine it will be a tough uphill battle getting Ford to offer a brand new car however, nothing is impossible. OP will probably end up lawyering up before all is said and done.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
The service manager admitted to seeing the defects this morning when I took the car by, apparently they train the service advisers to say they cant see it or its not there until its looked at by a service manager because the same guy that couldn't see it had a different attitude once the manager admitted that it looked like shit. I made sure that he knew that I did not want a repainted car, that I wanted a replacment vehicle and they needed to make this right. He didnt really say much other than he didnt understand what was going on until he saw the car in person. I emailed him every picture I have taken of the defects and he is supposed to be communicating with the dealership manager and my Ford claims person.

something is very fishy here with where the damage happened and who is responsible for the half assed repair. I dont want to put blame on the dealership just yet until I am given proof that they made the shoddy repair and sold it to me but My 6th sense is telling me that the dealership knows they fucked up and were hoping that the repair would never be spotted. I will also say it could have been damaged and repaired at a "port" because my customer service case rep had record of transit damage to rear quarter panel but thats new news to everyone at the dealership.
If the car was damaged in transit, there had to be someone at the dealership when the car was dropped off to accept the car, otherwise the shipping company could have claimed it happened in their lot after they left the car.
My question is how much protective cover do these cars have during shipment? if they are completely covered it would have been obvious if there was damage done after it left the factory.

One other thing--find out when it left the factory, what day it arrived at the dealer and when they called you and said come and get it. If this fix was done after it was dropped at the dealer, there had to be some spent at the repair shop to straighten the panel, add body filler/ prime, paint and do the clear coat and let it dry. I'm thinking a couple lost days at the dealer.

OP
OP

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
If the car was damaged in transit, there had to be someone at the dealership when the car was dropped off to accept the car, otherwise the shipping company could have claimed it happened in their lot after they left the car.
My question is how much protective cover do these cars have during shipment? if they are completely covered it would have been obvious if there was damage done after it left the factory.

One other thing--find out when it left the factory, what day it arrived at the dealer and when they called you and said come and get it. If this fix was done after it was dropped at the dealer, there had to be some spent at the repair shop to straighten the panel, add body filler/ prime, paint and do the clear coat and let it dry. I'm thinking a couple lost days at the dealer.
I did not custom order this car but it was only on the lot a week or two before i bought it. When I looked over the car before i bought it, I just didn't spot all this crap. Like I said in a previous post the scratches under the paint can't really be seen in direct sunlight and it was super sunny that day, its worse early morning or at a gas station or parking garage lights. Its almost embarrassing how bad it looks when you can see it. I know one thing's for sure i will never ever purchase a car without inspecting the car in different lighting and going over ever inch of the car at every angle with a fine tooth comb. Might even take a paint depth meter on my next vehicle purchase.

This deception is something you shouldn't have to worry about when purchasing a brand new car. And is Why i bought a brand new car. No rock chips, no scratches, no dings, no shitty paint prep job. If i wanted to buy someone else's junk thats been run hard and put away wet i would have.

Sponsored

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
I did not custom order this car but it was only on the lot a week or two before i bought it. When I looked over the car before i bought it, I just didn't spot all this crap. Like I said in a previous post the scratches under the paint can't really be seen in direct sunlight and it was super sunny that day, its worse early morning or at a gas station or parking garage lights. Its almost embarrassing how bad it looks when you can see it. I know one thing's for sure i will never ever purchase a car without inspecting the car in different lighting and going over ever inch of the car at every angle with a fine tooth comb. Might even take a paint depth meter on my next vehicle purchase.

This deception is something you shouldn't have to worry about when purchasing a brand new car. And is Why i bought a brand new car. No rock chips, no scratches, no dings, no shitty paint prep job. If i wanted to buy someone else's junk thats been run hard and put away wet i would have.
Oops--my bad on whether it was ordered or bought off the lot.

Agreed--the car looks great from many angles from the photos and I'm sure when you were eye balling it you were not thinking paint defects out of the box.
Having said that, I'm sure this episode will change your perspective on car buying going forward--I know the RX7 with the pitted paint did for us.

At the end of the day, if Ford has documentation in their files that it was damaged in transit, the dealer has not been honest in his dealing with you from the get go. As you noted, you paid for a new car--with a faultless paint job.
He's tried to pass the car off with a paint job that it would never leave the factory with. I think Ford--via their regional service person--will be the your best help in getting this sorted out. Don't count on this dealer for anything.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
Oops--my bad on whether it was ordered or bought off the lot.

Agreed--the car looks great from many angles from the photos and I'm sure when you were eye balling it you were not thinking paint defects out of the box.
Having said that, I'm sure this episode will change your perspective on car buying going forward--I know the RX7 with the pitted paint did for us.

At the end of the day, if Ford has documentation in their files that it was damaged in transit, the dealer has not been honest in his dealing with you.
He's tried to pass the car off with a paint job that it would never leave the factory with. I think Ford--via their regional service person--will be the your best help in getting this sorted out. Don't count on this dealer for anything.
I did look to see if the orange peal was consistent on each panel but that obviously wasnt enough. I was paying more attention to panel gaps and how everything lined up. And of course driving it and listening for any strange noises. I also wanted to see how much drivetrain slop and clunk it had compared to a few other PP GT's I have drivin. This one had very minimal. The worst example was a 2016 PP GT that would clunk hard everytime you put it into first gear at a stop and every time you selected another gear, mine dosnt do that at all.

OP
OP

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
Well I got a call back from the service manager today and all he could offer me was for the same body shop that did the crappy work (admitting to repairing the car) repaint the area. He said that they have alot of transit damaged vehicles or paint issues and that this body shop does alot of work for them and they have never had a problem like this before. I call bull shit. Im sure every car that gets repaired there probably has the same low end workmanship, it's just the average car buyer would never know. I don't know where to go with this now the conversation we had was short on my end as I didn't want to verbally accept any of that crap.

GrabberGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT - Grabber Blue
I wouldn't accept the dealership's offer. In the very least you should be able to use the body shop of your choice.

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
You might have limited options except let them repair it the correct way. Perhaps since you have called them on their bs and half azz work, they will put top effort to get it right and make you a happy customer. Good Luck.

OP
OP

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
This post has 1500 views and 58 replies already. I havnt drug their name in the dirt yet but I am a hair strand away from leaving every bad review I can about this dealership and making sure not only you guys but friends and family know who sold me this car and apparently repair many new cars in the same manner, but also who the body shop with no pride in their workmanship is.

This is one of those body shops that your insurance adjuster tries to get you to fall for when you have an accident because they are the cheapest to use and their only intentions being to repair as many cars as cheaply and as fast as possible. Volume is all the dealership and this body shop care about.
Sponsored