Sponsored

2017 Base mustang Gt to Premium package. Is it possible ?

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
One potential down side to spending $15K on upgrades is your insurance probably won't cover it unless to get a special policy rider somehow and pay more, since your book value will still be for a base model. I can see wanting to keep the base though, if it's been reliable I wouldn't want to let it go.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Unless you're willing to go with aftermarket switches mounted elsewhere, this is what you'll need to upgrade to heated seating. I like upgrades, but not sure I'd take it that far living in CA.

Installing leather in my 101A Ecoboost this weekend, and adding leather door panels next week. Want to add fog lights sometime down the line. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the pony projection mirrors. It's going to look more or less like a Premium to the untrained eye when I'm done.

CC.JPG
What leather door panel may I ask? Is it the soft touch plastic? And if so is that the one with leather inserts instead of the vinyl stuff I got?

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah man a lot of people have been telling me in person to just sell the base and buy a premium but idk can’t seem to let it go that easy. Fuck it even if it hurts spending all the unnecessary money I guess I’ll be the first dumbass to do a complete premium packagage swap and I’ll try to make a write up with the help of all the other people here.
Reality is, even if you already owned a premium you would likely still have the itch to customize it. The money you saved not going for the premium should be used to make the car how you want it.

Some features are cool but not worth all the extra money for how often they are enjoyed.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
A67C05C4-72A7-42B5-8641-D0936E93E4C1.jpeg
Spend the money to make your car different than the sea of mustangs out there. That’s what I did. I went base. I did add leather takeoffs ($375). Custom Rockford sound setup ($1500). Roush front end ($650 - got a smoking deal from Roush). Suspension, wheels, exhaust, etc. I’ve probably got a little over $6000 now. But I get stares everywhere I go. You go from base to premium nobody can tell the difference. Hell half the people can’t the difference between EB and a GT.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what you're referring to.
premium trim cars come with the color LED interior. Theres a LED on the inside, behind the door handle.

Deleted member 35644

Ahh, ok. I wasn't aware of the ambient lighting extending to the door handles. I haven't seen the panels yet, so I don't know if there's an LED or not.

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Door wire harness is different for premium package, it does not have wiring for that additional speaker and i also doubt for the ambient lighting, as none of the body harnesses will have ambient lighting for center console, door sills ect... If you really want to go down this rabbit hole of crazyness like i did. Find a car for sale with the options you want, use its vin and search these part numbers on fords site, these are the parts i used from a VIN of a car with the options i wanted. It is by far the most expensive and ridiculous thing i have ever done to a car, but hey be my guest and ask away what you need, but whatever you do make sure to get it all from the same donor car or new from ford using the same vin for all parts. Even then you will need a so many things to make this work: speaker ampliflier, all dash electronics are different, center console, different speakers, gps antenna(you do not have hole in roof but can mount it somewhere inside). Put it all in a cart including everything i'm about to mention below and ask yourself if its worth it. The only cheap way of doing this is to buy an auction car and swap everything over to yours, you could recoup alot of cost by selling your old wiring and electronics on ebay. It would require you to disassembly your vehicle down to nothing taking careful pictures and notes of how to put it back again. It was a fun experience but i would not recommend it.

https://parts.ford.com (use that middle number of below to search example:14630 with the vin of desired car)
Use that "price" (dollar amount) you find and start searching dealer websites for example i found below which is what im using for my swap, please research before you go crazy buying these. These are what i have found using the above method and i take no responsibility here as my options i wanted my have been different from what you wanted. Thousands of dollars in just wiring and this is just a small part of it.

- FR3Z-14630-M (Door harness)
- FR3Z-14631-A (Door harness)
- HR3Z-14A005-L (Main body harness coming from dash to rear of car)
- HR3Z-14290-C (Engine bay wiring harness)
- ????????????? (Do not know dash harness pt #)

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Also, I would probably get a set of leather Recaro's over the heated/cooled seats, then just buy some take off leather rear seats for the back.
Or better yet, just shell out around $300 for a rear-seat delete kit. If you're anywhere near 6' tall no one is ever going to sit back there anyway.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Or better yet, just shell out around $300 for a rear-seat delete kit. If you're anywhere near 6' tall no one is ever going to sit back there anyway.
That would be the best option. I really like the look of the GT350R rear seat delete but they're pricey and basically do the same job as the cheaper kits.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Save your hard earned cash. Premium trim is a joke to begin with
Yes, a bunch of fluff.

But like someone else said, trading your car in for used Premium would probably be cheaper than doing the conversion yourself. And will have a much better resale value than a "fake" Premium.

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
I'm just going to add my 2 cents to this as I have a base 2016 GT.

As some have said here, your money might be better spent on adding some performance mods versus just making it look and feel more premium.

For example, my GT, I have probably spent a little over 5K - Ford Performance Track Handling Package, OEM GT350 Rims, GT 350 Track Spoiler and I plasti dipped my lower rear bumper area to set it apart a little bit. I think the car looks awesome now, added some LED's under the dash in the footwell's.

Do I wish I could have the Sync 3 system? Of course and if i come across lightly used parts for a reasonable price, I may go for it. Never cared for leather as after many years (if you keep it that long) leather starts to look cracked and wared out.

I think you will end up spending a lot of money to go full premium.

Can I ask, what other mods have you already done?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sync 3 is a must coming from a premium owner. Unless you don’t care at all about CarPlay/Aa and the modern touch to the interior. Take base models guys with a grain of salt, theyll rationalize their choice with “it’s not necessary.” Of course I’m rationalizing my choice as well but I won’t be downgrading while base guys might consider the idea of upgrading so I guess my opinion is more “rational.”
No hate just by 2 cents.

The door trims are like $100 a pair on eBay so I consider those fair game to upgrade to. The door handle light isn’t worth the cost for the harness though.
I also really dig the garage door opener but I don’t know what wiring is needed for that.
A lot of guys are discussing cosmetic exterior to “show off” but are neglecting the most important part, YOUR and your passengers experience. That’s why I do approve of the sync 3 upgrade at the minimum. Of course many guys not wanting that are older and tend to care less for techy amenities.
Sponsored

Last edited: