OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Some Mazda executive stated on the record that a lower-powered engine would never fly in the American market. I think we'll see 175-180 hp which will give it a reasonable power to weight at 2300 lbs.

It might sound weird but I will be cross-shopping the PRHT version with the S550 next year (along with the new M2).
Sadly, looks like that executive's feedback was ignored by the folks at Mazda. 155hp and 148 lb-ft of torque for the new car.

I could be proven wrong, but I think that is going to be a disaster on the sales floor. The power to weight ratio improves slightly due to reduced weight, but the improvement is not really that significant IMO, and I don't think that's what your average buyer is going to be thinking about anyway.

Its styling is good, and it's going to have much better creature comforts than the outgoing car, but it's probably going to cost more money also. I feel bad for their sales staff. It seems like it would be pretty hard to sell a brand new, more expensive generation car that has less power than the outgoing model.

They could have at least matched the current car's output and made it around 170.

I was interested in this car, but it is now completely off my list.
Sponsored

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Sadly, looks like that executive's feedback was ignored by the folks at Mazda. 155hp and 148 lb-ft of torque for the new car.

I could be proven wrong, but I think that is going to be a disaster on the sales floor. The power to weight ratio improves slightly due to reduced weight, but the improvement is not really that significant IMO, and I don't think that's what your average buyer is going to be thinking about anyway.

Its styling is good, and it's going to have much better creature comforts than the outgoing car, but it's probably going to cost more money also. I feel bad for their sales staff. It seems like it would be pretty hard to sell a brand new, more expensive generation car that has less power than the outgoing model.

They could have at least matched the current car's output and made it around 170.

I was interested in this car, but it is now completely off my list.
You've clearly never driven a 2300lbs with 155hp. It's not blistering fast by any means, but it's quick and very fun. This car will be a blast.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Its just my opinion, but i personally could never get excited about a car like this. It reminds me of the FR-S/BR-Z: A good concept, poorly executed. I know people say its fun to drive a slow car fast and a light car with little power is super fun and everything, but just 155HP? I would expect this car to have around 200 or so, maybe slightly more.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
You've clearly never driven a 2300lbs with 155hp. It's not blistering fast by any means, but it's quick and very fun. This car will be a blast.
Until your fun twisties start having a slight grade...

Sponsored

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
I live around mountains. I've driven my 100hp RX-7's that were 2400lbs without issue for years. You simply downshift. This car will be even lighter with 55% more power and torque, not to mention a far more sophisticated suspension. This car isn't about power, it's not about going fast in a straight line. It's about balance. You can't say this car needs X power numbers when you've never driven any MX-5/Miatas before. There's a reason why MX-5s/Miatas are the benchmark for lightweight sports cars and why it's been around for 25 years. This car will be amazing

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
Only Miata EVER worth a damn was the Mega-Monster Miata. If you don't know what it is, Google it!

2550 pounds with 400hp. Now that is a power to weight ratio I could live with...

On a side note, I had one of those give my '88 GT a run for her money in the straight lines and pull ahead in the twisties. That stang had 743 at the wheels with blower and nitrous, but only 570 without the juice, so he got me on the road when I was running pump gas.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I live around mountains. I've driven my 100hp RX-7's that were 2400lbs without issue for years. You simply downshift. This car will be even lighter with 55% more power and torque, not to mention a far more sophisticated suspension. This car isn't about power, it's not about going fast in a straight line. It's about balance. You can't say this car needs X power numbers when you've never driven any MX-5/Miatas before. There's a reason why MX-5s/Miatas are the benchmark for lightweight sports cars and why it's been around for 25 years. This car will be amazing
Comparing high-revving rotary engines to an anemic I4 isn't exactly apples to apples, either. I'm not the first person in the world who has asked for an FI package for the Miata and FT-86. Balance is a great asset but it isn't the only factor in a fun car.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Uh, okay?:shrug:

My point was that this car will probably be more money than the outgoing car, and while I think it will probably be fun, they would have been better served matching or slightly exceeding the current car's power numbers.

Whether it's fair or not, your average consumer is going to look just at the 155 number and walk away. It's my opinion that they missed a big chance to do something more with this car in the performance department and make it a big hit. It looks good from a styling perspective.

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Comparing high-revving rotary engines to an anemic I4 isn't exactly apples to apples, either. I'm not the first person in the world who has asked for an FI package for the Miata and FT-86. Balance is a great asset but it isn't the only factor in a fun car.

I'm comparing a carbureted 12A that only redlined at 7,000 RPMs. It made peak torque above 4,000 RPMs. The Skyactiv-G is far from "anemic". It makes more power and makes it's higher peak torque lower in the rev range. It's very comparable. Mazda has never been about power numbers and they've never needed to be.

Uh, okay?:shrug:

My point was that this car will probably be more money than the outgoing car, and while I think it will probably be fun, they would have been better served matching or slightly exceeding the current car's power numbers.

Whether it's fair or not, your average consumer is going to look just at the 155 number and walk away. It's my opinion that they missed a big chance to do something more with this car in the performance department and make it a big hit. It looks good from a styling perspective.
Your average customer buys the shit out of Mazda 3s with the same power figure. People looking at buying a Miata are either A: Looking for a sporty convertible that looks good or B: Are driving enthusiasts that know what MX-5/Miata is all about and won't be bothered by the power number.

In any event, the new car gives up 12hp while losing 200-300lbs. It's going to be faster than the current model.
Sponsored