Sponsored

2016 GT350

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You obviously didn't see the emoji after my post. :) But I am an experienced tracker, so I'd take you up on time comparisions (even though I wasn't saying that in my thread). I'm sure we're all "fast enough" and in the end, who really cares as log as you're having fun?

Another consideration I think is a big factor on these seats? Size of the person. I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, and the convienece package seats leave a lot on both sides of my torso for movement. While I think I could still handle it OK on a track, the Recaro's just plant me in my seat and it feels like the car should feel.

I've had bigger guys tell me they can't fit into the Recaro's, and I can totally understand that from how tight I feel in them. I also have a friend with an "R" who is older and he hates the Recaro's because they hurt his back (he self classifies himself in the "old rich dude that demands comfort" category.) :D

I guess my point is, the seats do make a big difference for me personally.
I think your points are very good and I'd like to add my thoughts. I'm 6'4" and 230 and I have a wide frame. The convenience seats are a little uncomfortable for me because the bolsters are narrower than my hips and narrower than my lats.

During the track attack I loved the Recaros. In combination with a very tight 4 point harness I was able to relax my body and focus on controlling the car. After an abbreviated track day in my tech pack I had bruised and sore knees for several days. It's a significant effort to hold your body in position on the road course with the Gs that this car can generate.

I still wouldn't want the Recaros for daily driving, but for the track they are pretty great, even for someone with a large frame.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
1 1/2 years with my tech pack and it's been great. Been to 10-11 autocrosses (best overall finish so far is 6th of 75 driver's), two track days, been stuck in 100 degree packed NYC traffic and the only time I hit limp mode was the 3rd session at the track.

Limp mode is overblown issue IMO. I can monitor tranny temp using the Forscan mod documented on this forum.
TDC, I appreciate your honesty and candor. I also believe that the limp mode issue is overblown. I have several friends that have Tech Pack cars and have never hit limp mode. Albeit they also have never Tracked the car.

Norton, I think if someone is not planning to track the car whether it be a road course or autocross the tech car would fit right in. I would however ask the seller if there has been any issues with limp mode and that particular car. You can also look up the VIN and see if it had any maintenance record regarding the limp mode issue. Like anything else just do enough research to feel satisfied with your decision. I have owned my GT350 track pack for over a year now and have had the engine replaced once not to mention of host of other issues. Even after all the issues I have had with this car I'm in the process of negotiating for a new GT350. If that is not a testament of how good the overall product is I don't know what is

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think your points are very good and I'd like to add my thoughts. I'm 6'4" and 230 and I have a wide frame. The convenience seats are a little uncomfortable for me because the bolsters are narrower than my hips and narrower than my lats.

During the track attack I loved the Recaros. In combination with a very tight 4 point harness I was able to relax my body and focus on controlling the car. After an abbreviated track day in my tech pack I had bruised and sore knees for several days. It's a significant effort to hold your body in position on the road course with the Gs that this car can generate.

I still wouldn't want the Recaros for daily driving, but for the track they are pretty great, even for someone with a large frame.
What do the Track Attack cars have for safety equipment? Is it the Schroth 4 point with the Scrhoth Hans?

OP
OP

Norton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Challenger R/T
TDC, I appreciate your honesty and candor. I also believe that the limp mode issue is overblown. I have several friends that have Tech Pack cars and have never hit limp mode. Albeit they also have never Tracked the car.

Norton, I think if someone is not planning to track the car whether it be a road course or autocross the tech car would fit right in. I would however ask the seller if there has been any issues with limp mode and that particular car. You can also look up the VIN and see if it had any maintenance record regarding the limp mode issue. Like anything else just do enough research to feel satisfied with your decision. I have owned my GT350 track pack for over a year now and have had the engine replaced once not to mention of host of other issues. Even after all the issues I have had with this car I'm in the process of negotiating for a new GT350. If that is not a testament of how good the overall product is I don't know what is
That is a great testament. Thanks. I did go look at the car. It is a new 2016. The dealer has had it for a while and is offering a below invoice price. I am just not sure if I want it or a C7. I liked the convenience seats. The exhaust modes and sounds are awesome. It's a great car no doubt. I'm fine with it not necessarily being a straight line car. That doesn't bother me at all. It's plenty fast and I thought the clutch was easy to drive

I just can't make up my mind.

OP
OP

Norton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Challenger R/T
The FPC motor is very cool in my opinion. For me, just the Voodoo by itself was reason enough I had to have a GT350. I really love the unique sound and character of the Voodoo. It's like a Coyote motor turned up to 11.

If you've been to the road course before and you hate it and know you will absolutely never want to do that, then the GT350 could be a decent buy. I would definitely want to get a bargain price on one, because I'm guessing resale might not be as good for the tech models.

You should also know that the GT350 isn't a quick 0-30 or 0-60 car. It holds its own, but it isn't geared for optimal launches.
I agree. The engine was awesome. The sound was great.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
That is a great testament. Thanks. I did go look at the car. It is a new 2016. The dealer has had it for a while and is offering a below invoice price. I am just not sure if I want it or a C7. I liked the convenience seats. The exhaust modes and sounds are awesome. It's a great car no doubt. I'm fine with it not necessarily being a straight line car. That doesn't bother me at all. It's plenty fast and I thought the clutch was easy to drive

I just can't make up my mind.
Below invoice I'd jump on it

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What do the Track Attack cars have for safety equipment? Is it the Schroth 4 point with the Scrhoth Hans?
No HANs devices at the Track Attack first day. Schroth harnesses and Watson 4 point cages. The harness may make the biggest difference in keeping you in your seat - more so than the Recaros. I'm not sure. I bought a Watson cage and Schroth harness for my car. I'm going to try the road course with them and my couch seat before buying a different seat for the road course.

I know when I was at the Track Attack I had to have the harness super tight in order to be held securely in position. The Recaros are a very close fit on me, but by themselves that's not nearly enough when you drive the GT350 hard.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not judging anyone, but have a hard time understanding the utility of 526hp, 429ft torque, and 8250 rpm redline on US streets or highways with 55-75mph speed limits. I can understand "street plus" but not "street only" with that type of capability. Even "spirited driving" can't come close to testing such a car, trans/diff issue withstanding.

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
In normal driving short and long trips in 90degree temps the transmission in my tech pack gets 110-130F over ambient even with passenger. So in 90F that's 220f. On one 90+ degree day with a passenger on a curvy back road really pushing it and staying in the upper rpm range for 20+ min I was able to make it hit limp mode but I was trying to see what it took. If that car is similar to mine you would be fine even with spirited driving on the Street.

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
Also at below invoice I would jump on that and u could always use the saved $$ for external coolers if u felt they were necessary

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not judging anyone, but have a hard time understanding the utility of 526hp, 429ft torque, and 8250 rpm redline on US streets or highways with 55-75mph speed limits. I can understand "street plus" but not "street only" with that type of capability. Even "spirited driving" can't come close to testing such a car, trans/diff issue withstanding.
I can only tell you why I wanted such a car not intending to use it on a track (altho may catch bug the after track attack). First, there are stretches of road where one can drive safely a lot faster here than the posted speed limit. While some may disagree with doing that, I would suggest they not buy this car. Second, again while you are not supposed to exceed the speed limit while passing, getting around a vehicle or even several in front of you on a two lane highway is a snap and far safer in a car like this. Three, even winding this car up in second or third gear is a blast. Fourth, that voodoo sound. Fifth, this is to me a well built, very comfortable, and very safe car for cruising/touring. None of these require driving this car at 9/10s of its capability.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can't understand why you would think that utility would have anything to do with buying ANY Mustang, much less a GT350.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I can't understand why you would think that utility would have anything to do with buying ANY Mustang, much less a GT350.
LOL. Point taken. Hard to call our purchase totally logical. Maybe my personalized tags (if I could have them) should say "Mr. Spock."

To each his own.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I've got a 2016 tech and it's been a pleasure. I live in a city that sees 90+ degrees a good 100 days per year with several over 100. I haven't and won't likely track my car. I have had zero issues with a hot trans. Who knows what the future will bring, but so far, it's been one hell of a ride.

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
I'd say do it. I bought a leftover tech car like you are looking at and have 2000 smile filled miles on it. No issues so far, however, I haven't pushed it for a long period of time.
Sponsored