Sponsored

2016 GT350

Norton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Challenger R/T
I have been offered a pretty good deal on a new 2016 GT350. It is a tech car. I don't see me tracking the car, but I do really like it. Should I have any concerns purchasing a 2016 tech package vehicle?

I was thinking about a GT CS at one point as well.
Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
There have been some reports of owners hitting limp mode on the street. Granted, that's most likely pretty rare, but it would always be in the back of my mind. Personally, I would pass.

OP
OP

Norton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Challenger R/T
There have been some reports of owners hitting limp mode on the street. Granted, that's most likely pretty rare, but it would always be in the back of my mind. Personally, I would pass.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I see other threads that are similar to mine. I have concerns, but I don't see me ever tracking it. I haven't made my mind up yet. When I originally started looking, I thought I was getting a Corvette. I still may as I like those cars quite a bit as well. This deal seems really good, especially when I am reading about ADM on 2017s, etc. They are offering well below MSRP for the car.

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2018 GT350
i think all the bad press has killed the tech cars price wise..i would pass as well though

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I cross shopped getting another Vette as well but ultimately decided on the GT350. I'm glad I did. It's allot of fun and I don't see me trading it in on anything else anytime soon. There are so many vettes that they just don't hold their value. I mean, $20K under sticker new is just kind of rediculous.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Norton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Challenger R/T
I cross shopped getting another Vette as well but ultimately decided on the GT350. I'm glad I did. It's allot of fun and I don't see me trading it in on anything else anytime soon. There are so many vettes that they just don't hold their value. I mean, $20K under sticker new is just kind of rediculous.
Very true. There is just an insane amount of inventory out there. I do like the cars quite a bit, but that is a great point.

I am not sure what I will do. A GT350 may be overkill. I am basically looking for a fun car. My wife and I commute to work together, so I will not have to drive it every day. I am going to go look at it tomorrow and see what I think. I did find a preowned one as well, but that dealer wants more then what I am being offered for new. I told them that and of course they came down, but it was still higher then new. I was like, why would I even consider that?

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I have been offered a pretty good deal on a new 2016 GT350. It is a tech car. I don't see me tracking the car, but I do really like it. Should I have any concerns purchasing a 2016 tech package vehicle?

I was thinking about a GT CS at one point as well.
It all depends on what they are asking. I have a 2016 Tech that I drive almost everyday without issue. I have only hit 250F on my tranny twice with regular driving. Haven't hit the track yet. Though I do feel I was jipped about $4000 on the transmission, but that's a whole different story (kinda).

Regardless... the Tech, Track, R... they are all REALLY FUN cars!!! I mean REALLY fun. :cheers:

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
I don't track and I love my 350 and it's a Tech. Buy new so you can go to Track Attack. I love driving her every time I get in it. I'm sad at the end of the work day when I don't drive her.

If it's a great deal, go for it. If it's only a couple grand, buy a 17 or 18 at MSRP. Only thing I wish I had were the Recaros.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Just came back from Gt350 track attack today... IMO I dont think the Recaros are bolstered any better or really hold you anymore tightly than the convenience package seats. Frankly I found the manual adjustments and lack of cooled seats a pain on a hot May Day at the track... some people may 'set and forget it' but I'm the type to constantly adjust the position.

In short I don't think you're losing out anything with the convenience sofa seats... they are also embossed with the GT350 logo and are unique with alcantara inserts

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I dont think the Recaros are bolstered any better or really hold you anymore tightly than the convenience package seats.
You just weren't pushing it hard enough to tell the difference. ;)

In all seriousness, I can't see owning this car w/o the Recaros.. they belong in a track car. I could have gotten a car much earlier (my dealer had the exact car in stock that i wanted but with the convenience package) but I just couldn't live with the convenience seats.

But I do understand this is more of a comfort thing for some, and to each his own. I have a friend with an "R" and he hates the Recaros and is looking for some convenience seats to put in while he owns it.

I personally love the feel of the Recaros.

Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
You just weren't pushing it hard enough to tell the difference. ;)
Really? Doubt you'd be any faster with those precious seats and the fancy logo.

Biggest difference is the harness anyway, which will be installed in my car soon enough.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
With regards to the Recaros, they do have 1 flaw for me...minimal lumbar support. If we had a manual bladder pump for the lumbar region, these seats would be perfect. On long trips, they do "bother" my back some. But if I'm just going out to play, the seats are awesome and feel as though your sitting in an over-sized catcher's mitt. You aren't going anywhere. Plus they just look like race car stuff.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1 1/2 years with my tech pack and it's been great. Been to 10-11 autocrosses (best overall finish so far is 6th of 75 driver's), two track days, been stuck in 100 degree packed NYC traffic and the only time I hit limp mode was the 3rd session at the track.

Limp mode is overblown issue IMO. I can monitor tranny temp using the Forscan mod documented on this forum.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The FPC motor is very cool in my opinion. For me, just the Voodoo by itself was reason enough I had to have a GT350. I really love the unique sound and character of the Voodoo. It's like a Coyote motor turned up to 11.

If you've been to the road course before and you hate it and know you will absolutely never want to do that, then the GT350 could be a decent buy. I would definitely want to get a bargain price on one, because I'm guessing resale might not be as good for the tech models.

You should also know that the GT350 isn't a quick 0-30 or 0-60 car. It holds its own, but it isn't geared for optimal launches.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Really? Doubt you'd be any faster with those precious seats and the fancy logo.

Biggest difference is the harness anyway, which will be installed in my car soon enough.
You obviously didn't see the emoji after my post. :) But I am an experienced tracker, so I'd take you up on time comparisions (even though I wasn't saying that in my thread). I'm sure we're all "fast enough" and in the end, who really cares as log as you're having fun?

Another consideration I think is a big factor on these seats? Size of the person. I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, and the convienece package seats leave a lot on both sides of my torso for movement. While I think I could still handle it OK on a track, the Recaro's just plant me in my seat and it feels like the car should feel.

I've had bigger guys tell me they can't fit into the Recaro's, and I can totally understand that from how tight I feel in them. I also have a friend with an "R" who is older and he hates the Recaro's because they hurt his back (he self classifies himself in the "old rich dude that demands comfort" category.) :D

I guess my point is, the seats do make a big difference for me personally.
Sponsored