Sponsored

2015 Shelby GT350 Mustang (50th Anniversary) Confirmed! Only 37 GT350R Mustangs

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
This just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

Would you go to Hell to get your Hellcat fixed?
Would you take a problem with your ZL-1 to Sesame Street?
What about vehicles tagged with GT? They hardly fit the original definition of Gran Turismo. They should all be stripped of their letters!

Get over it. Ford is licensing the Shelby name. The 2015-2016 Shelby GT350s will be the best regular production Mustangs ever built. They will hold their value better over the years because of these things, plus the fact that they're limited production vehicles (the 2016s to a much lesser extent than the 137 2015s). Will there be something new and different and possibly even better in the future? Of course. But the only perspective I care about is today's.

If you don't want one, can't afford one or just hate the idea that they exist, too bad. There are a bunch of us who are looking forward to owning and enjoying one. I hope you have the same feeling about whatever you drive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
GT = Grand Touring. Not a video game here. The term was used to describe what was and is basically a daily driver. In the old days it was loosely used as a nickname term for Gas and Tires. In our times its still a daily driven term. Meant for a long drive and built to endure that long drive. Not typically associated with a 4 banger.

So usually a V8 or bigger.

And I get that FoMoCo is licensing the name....Still don't make it a Shelby.

I do hope to own and enjoy it. I am also not brainwashed into thinking its going to be more than what it is.... A really well built to perform Mustang.

Still not a collector's wet dream. More like an enthusiast's Pride and Joy.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I do hope to own and enjoy it. I am also not brainwashed into thinking its going to be more than what it is.... A really well built to perform Mustang.

Still not a collector's wet dream. More like an enthusiast's Pride and Joy.

I agree with this 100%

It's what most of us are here for anyway. This isn't an investment forum, but an enthusiast's forum.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The 5.2 will be the collectors wet dream. This will be a motor for the record books.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The 5.2 will be the collectors wet dream. This will be a motor for the record books.

Not...if it becomes an option in future models of Mustangs.

If that was the case then the 5.0 TiVCT is a collector's wet dream as well. But is really just another common format.

Which the VooDoo platform is likely to become as well since it will be possibly be made available as per FoMoCo as a Crate option.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Video game? what's that? ;)

Actually, the term Grand Turismo goes back at least to the 1950s, and generally was used to describe a Grand Tourer - a European (usually Italian) luxury vehicle designed for people to travel long distances in grand style, at high speeds with all their luggage. They mostly were 2-seaters or 2+2s, and handling and comfort over long distances were their most important assets.

Very few cars labeled GT since then actually have deserved the designation as it was originally conceived. But times change. Since then, Gran Turismo and GT have been used to designate race cars, sports cars, sporty cars and crap cars, like the Vega GT, which only traveled at high speeds to the local body shop for rust repair. And nobody can convince me today that a Hyundai Elantra 4-door can be a GT. :crazy:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Not...if it becomes an option in future models of Mustangs.

If that was the case then the 5.0 TiVCT is a collector's wet dream as well. But is really just another common format.

Which the VooDoo platform is likely to become as well since it will be possibly be made available as per FoMoCo as a Crate option.

The chance of the Voodoo becoming the factory GT engine is barely better than zero. Parts of the Roadrunner were integrated into regular GT production, but not the entire engine and the Roadrunner was far less specialized than the Voodoo.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Video game? what's that? ;)

Actually, the term Grand Turismo goes back at least to the 1950s, and generally was used to describe a Grand Tourer - a European (usually Italian) luxury vehicle designed for people to travel long distances in grand style, at high speeds with all their luggage. They mostly were 2-seaters or 2+2s, and handling and comfort over long distances were their most important assets.

Very few cars labeled GT since then actually have deserved the designation as it was originally conceived. But times change. Since then, Gran Turismo and GT have been used to designate race cars, sports cars, sporty cars and crap cars, like the Vega GT, which only traveled at high speeds to the local body shop for rust repair. And nobody can convince me today that a Hyundai Elantra 4-door can be a GT. :crazy:
Grand Touring...is still for taking on long distances.

Grand Tourismo ... is a video gaming term nowadays that transcended the gaming Genre and got slapped onto fast cars. It is also the Europeon designation for as you correctly put it
"a Grand Tourer - a European (usually Italian) luxury vehicle designed for people to travel long distances in grand style, at high speeds with all their luggage. They mostly were 2-seaters or 2+2s, and handling and comfort over long distances were their most important assets."
You can look at it how you want if it makes you feel better. But GT never meant during my life anything more than how you already described it or as we nicknamed it.... Gas and Tires, because that what a literal Grand Touring car went through a lot of. Its all relevant to the genre we belong to. But, if you hang your hat on Grand Tourismo.. you're gonna get a lot of nods from Italians who prefer Italian cars or kids who prefer video games.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The chance of the Voodoo becoming the factory GT engine is barely better than zero. Parts of the Roadrunner were integrated into regular GT production, but not the entire engine and the Roadrunner was far less specialized than the Voodoo.
No...more likely a Crate option and like the Roadrunner many aspects of the VooDoo will find its way into regular production.

Still a step forward. Consider the GT 350 a proof of concept. Just like the Boss 302 was.

What works well ...will get adopted and move forward.
Sponsored