Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT versus 2014 Camaro SS

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
I know many have criticized the Camaro for being cartoonish, but I have always liked this design, though I don't think GM made any improvement with this refresh. The front and rear look too blocky. I do think exterior styling is the main reason Camaro has been outselling Mustang in recent years, but that is going to change. The S550 is more sleek and aggressive than the previous Mustang. Let's face it, the S197, even though it's a great looking car, is a little pudgy. The new gen looks like it's been laying off the donuts and spent a lot of time at the gym :thumbsup:.
I think two things will happen with this early reveal of the 2015. Ford shot themselves in the foot so current Mustang sales are going to slump, and next year Mustang sales are going to blow Camaro out of the water.
As a side note, with the new SRT Cuda coming out, unless they do a major redesign (which probably won't happen) instead of just rebadging the current model, the only people buying one of those will be die-hard Mopar heads. :hail: :crazy:

Hey, Chevy designers, what's up with putting the hand brake on the passenger side? :confused: :doh:
Sponsored

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

revwriter311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro
I agree that the Camaro refresh looks pretty bad. Front looks way too squished and the tail lights do bear a scary resemblance to the Prelude.

Looks like Ford took some styling cues from the Mazda 6 for the Mustang front end.
mustang look alike.jpg

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Im not a camaro fan, but im almost embarrassed for them on the taillights, the front looks dumb as well. But to each his own. Im loving the two center gauges

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Looks like Ford took some styling cues from the Mazda 6 for the Mustang front end.
I don't think so. Yes, there are similarities if we look close enough but I wouldn't say Ford took cues from Mazda's 6.

A lot are saying it looks like is the Fusion. But in saying that, it isn't correct, either. I'll try to explain.

The Fusion has Ford's corporate look that is based off what? Where does the trapezoidal grille come from? If you look at all the cars in Ford's history you'll find that this "Fusion" cat fish mouth actually resembles the early Mustangs.

I can understand if people say "S550 looks like Fusion" because Fusion was released earlier. However, if this new corporate face lends itself to anything it would be the Mustang itself.

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
I agree that the Camaro refresh looks pretty bad. Front looks way too squished and the tail lights do bear a scary resemblance to the Prelude.

Once again another incorrect comparison, mustang looks most like a mustang. Minivans, pickup trucks, Aston Martin, Mazda 6, Honda, camaro, .... Jag, Kia, etc. are all where this so called mustang took its design cues from. Based on in-depth statistical assessment 97% of the comparisons have been proven to be incorrect, and the other 2.9% are mistaken.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
When I look at those side by side pics of the front view, to me the Camaro almost looks like it's grinning (albeit an evil grin) because of the way the grill is angled and such. The Mustang looks mean, like it means business...almost predatory. It has angry eyes. I think Ford accomplished their goal in this respect...

The Mustang front end is not perfect, but I think it works.

Tascam

So the s550 basically is the same height as the current Camaro it seems.

does anyone know if the seats will sit lower than the Camaro's? It worries me about headroom and visibility. Every time I sitin my friend's 2012 Camaro I notice how enclosed I feel by the roof and pillars of the car.

This shot has me hoping it's not as similar as it looks from the outside.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
So the s550 basically is the same height as the current Camaro it seems.

does anyone know if the seats will sit lower than the Camaro's? It worries me about headroom and visibility. Every time I sitin my friend's 2012 Camaro I notice how enclosed I feel by the roof and pillars of the car.

This shot has me hoping it's not as similar as it looks from the outside.
IIRC they've already said the S550 has more head and legroom than the S197. If the current model suits you in this regard, I believe the new one should be fine. Can't comment on visibility for sure, but I'm pretty confident it will be much better than the 2012 Camaro.

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
In one interview they specifically said that visibility was one of the s197s big advantages over the competition and they were going to keep it that way.

Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
When is Ford going to put wider tires on the Mustang? Isn't part of the issue with putting the hp to the ground the issue of tires? Correct me if I'm wrong but the Camaro always has wider tires....why is that? Is this something you guys ever see being dealt with or are there certain reasons it will remain the way it is, with the mustang having skinnier tires?

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
When is Ford going to put wider tires on the Mustang? Isn't part of the issue with putting the hp to the ground the issue of tires? Correct me if I'm wrong but the Camaro always has wider tires....why is that? Is this something you guys ever see being dealt with or are there certain reasons it will remain the way it is, with the mustang having skinnier tires?
Ford's way of being cheap...besides Ford oem wheels are heavy boat anchors. First mod I did was buy some lighweight aftermarket wheels and tires.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'm sure the Camaro gang will want a 1LE comparison. I got money on Chevy not sending one... and that will be fine because it isn't the same model year. Bet me... I 'd hope they wouldn't allow their product to be blindsided (again). You know Ford has a 1LE...

Actually, I think many will claim the MAGAZINES are "Sandbagging" the competition (unlike Team Camaro at Milford w/ the GT500). Or, they could go as far as accusing Ford of SHAVING LAP TIMES!!!

How about this....... What if the Camaro ISN'T INVITED this round??? Why move backwards and down?

I do agree, the competition was good. It forced Ford up market, right under the Corvette... a place the Camaro can't go. However, you can't compete with a liar, a cheat and a thief... You need to stoop to those measures. I admired Team Camaro's effort, especially with all the set backs... and I'm sure some Mustang frustration led to most of the lying and cheating.

That isn't competing... It's becoming way too personal for them and that's when fluff like that is used... When you are at your budgets end and your product is still in the profit red... Misinformation becomes your weapon...

Edit: +1 on the OEM wheel statement... Stick to what works for OEM, looks good, not too expensive, good performance.

You also need to take track increases into consideration... My uncle always told me: One in the track is two in the tire...

(An inch in track increase, is equal to two extra inches of tire)

This is beyond rule of thumb, more like rule of the wrist... It's very general.

Now that I have an actual education in chassis, it is a lot more complicated then that. It still applies somewhat but, an engineered balance must be found.

Keep in mind, the new Mustang may have been engineered around the V8 this time. Maybe but at which level. I know styling is dumbed down from the Halo cars, optimal track/wheel/tire combos could have as well. Maybe a 295/305 is optimal, 305/325 possible, the GT's 255 or 275 box is standard.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Holy crap. Here is something I would have never guessed.

Mustang outsold Camaro in Canada by 133% (Way more than double) in 2013. Camaro's sales fell 15.3% in Canada in 2013.

In 2012 (before the news of GM pulling Camaro production out of Canada), Mustang outsold Camaro by 103%.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Holy crap. Here is something I would have never guessed.

Mustang outsold Camaro in Canada by 133% (Way more than double) in 2013. Camaro's sales fell 15.3% in Canada in 2013.

In 2012 (before the news of GM pulling Camaro production out of Canada), Mustang outsold Camaro by 103%.
I bet camaro sales fall this month too. GM has been having major problems with their vehicles as of late. I know camaro's are not affected directly, but it will hurt overall sales. Seen it for many years. Mustang s197 is still selling very well.
Sponsored