Sponsored

19 or 20s, cant decide. Want max performance/low weight custom Forged wheel

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
I think for max performance an 18 is the way to go and all around tire choices but aesthetically im not going 18 on this new Mustang.

the 19 PP wheels seem to look great when these cars are lowered and 20 of course look awesome as well.

I am trying to make a visual enhancement for the $$$ it will cost but also a performance enhancement. It makes me sick when I see high end exotics where the owners took lightweight OEM wheels to install ghetto 22 or something on a Ferrari or Mclaren which simply degrades performance.

I am trying to reduce weight A LOT per corner so the car will handle, ride and brake even better. 20 inch tires are damn heavy from experience so i have to consider tire weight as well in the equation.

tire selection as well is crucial.

Going from a 19 to a 20 will there be a massive change in ride quality or can i get a custom Forged 20 inch wheel to be just as light per corner as a 19 forged wheel?

the wheels I am considering are Forgeline 3 piece or their Monoblock with a center lock hub design. Also considering the HRE S101
Sponsored

Brian@Vossen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang with a V8
We Just released our Forged lineup of monoblock wheels. We use 6061-T6, aerospace grade, forged aluminum alloy for the lightest possible wheel and maintaing structural integrity at the same time. We make them in house here in Miami and we can build the set to your desired specs for the car. If you want more info feel free to email me: [email protected]

achenator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Prem. GT autotragic
If you want to save weight, monoblock all the way. If you can find a way to put some carbon brake rotors on there the savings is huge.

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
If you want to save weight, monoblock all the way. If you can find a way to put some carbon brake rotors on there the savings is huge.
i was leaning toward monoblock for weight and strength. I do however like the aesthetic of the multi piece. I will say most of the high end HRE wheels are extremely heavy and heavier than most OEM. a few friends had to have them on their Porsche and Ferrari and i could not believe how heavy they were over the stock wheels

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
We Just released our Forged lineup of monoblock wheels. We use 6061-T6, aerospace grade, forged aluminum alloy for the lightest possible wheel and maintaing structural integrity at the same time. We make them in house here in Miami and we can build the set to your desired specs for the car. If you want more info feel free to email me: [email protected]
cant find any info on your website regarding this new line?

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think for max performance an 18 is the way to go and all around tire choices but aesthetically im not going 18 on this new Mustang.

the 19 PP wheels seem to look great when these cars are lowered and 20 of course look awesome as well.

I am trying to make a visual enhancement for the $$$ it will cost but also a performance enhancement. It makes me sick when I see high end exotics where the owners took lightweight OEM wheels to install ghetto 22 or something on a Ferrari or Mclaren which simply degrades performance.

I am trying to reduce weight A LOT per corner so the car will handle, ride and brake even better. 20 inch tires are damn heavy from experience so i have to consider tire weight as well in the equation.

tire selection as well is crucial.

Going from a 19 to a 20 will there be a massive change in ride quality or can i get a custom Forged 20 inch wheel to be just as light per corner as a 19 forged wheel?

the wheels I am considering are Forgeline 3 piece or their Monoblock with a center lock hub design. Also considering the HRE S101
You already know the answer but seem to be trying to talk yourself out of it. For max performance and minimum weight 18" is the way to go. 19" opens up your wheel & tire choices. 20" adds cost and weight and makes the ride worse, so go right ahead and buy them.

Brian@Vossen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang with a V8

FR500GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saleen
...It makes me sick when I see high end exotics where the owners took lightweight OEM wheels to install ghetto 22 or something on a Ferrari or Mclaren which simply degrades performance.
Agreed.

I know that you said you're not looking for 18's but if you change your mind, check out APEX wheels. They are lightweight and a very inexpensive track wheel.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
i was leaning toward monoblock for weight and strength. I do however like the aesthetic of the multi piece. I will say most of the high end HRE wheels are extremely heavy and heavier than most OEM. a few friends had to have them on their Porsche and Ferrari and i could not believe how heavy they were over the stock wheels
Hmmm, maybe HRE replica wheels? 3-piece versions from the 80's? Cars that have super light OEM wheels?

To the OP, great choice either way between Forgeline and HRE. If you are going for lightest I would steer you to either our P1 series or new R1 series as opposed to the S1 series.

To answer any weight concerns...

Images in order are the following:

1. P101 20x10 et40 (specifically for Mustang 5/114.3 pcd and 70.6 hub bore)
  2. FlowForm FF15 20x10 et40 (specifically for Mustang 5/114.3 pcd and 70.6 hub bore)
  3. OEM GT PP 19x9.5 (WOW!!)
So you would be going up in diameter and width and dropping 11.8 lbs per wheel with this P101 or 8.8 lbs per wheel with the FF15. That is pretty substantial weight loss. Of course if you go with 19" you will drop even farther.
p101mustang.jpg
IMG_2872.jpg
IMG_2878.jpg

achenator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Prem. GT autotragic
I had some 21" ADV.1 3 piece wheels on my GT-R. The look, fit and finish were awesome for street cruising but boyyyy were they heavy.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
It makes me sick when I see high end exotics where the owners took lightweight OEM wheels to install ghetto 22 or something on a Ferrari or Mclaren which simply degrades performance.
It doesn't make me sick :), but I feel the same way about 20's as you do about 22's (and I like 18's).

It is all mental I guess, when I know how something effects performance that flavors my perception of whether or not it looks right on the car.

20's make me think of full sized caddies and leopardskin seats.
Sponsored